Prince on Sun Dragon

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Nicene

Prince on Sun Dragon

#1 Post by Nicene »

Would you ever attempt this? In what style of army? How would you equip him?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
pk-ng

Re: Prince on Sun Dragon

#2 Post by pk-ng »

No. Too many cannons in my meta. I would only every prince Star Dragon or a AM on Moon Dragon :)
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I have. The 2 main things I learned were:

- The prince needs to do a lot more of the killing then when he's on a bigger dragon. This for me means high S magic weapons are important. Personal preferens is Starlance. You should get the charge when on a big flying monster. And if you don't, you can have a GW as backup. The other tricksters shard is also great here. The rest of the points go to protection.

- A sun dragon is still a dragon and so still creates dragon feever in your opponent.

I ran him in a MMU style army. Since I'm not the best of players, my results with him varied. But he was definatly fun. It's a bit like running a very heavy chariot in support of your units.

Another thing you can try when playing 2500 pts with the 155pts you save on him is squeezing a lvl 3 (or 4) archmage in your list. Gives you 65 pts for equipment to play with, so it realy is a budget version. But it can work. Gives you something like a naked lvl 3 and GW, HA, Dragon helm, obsidian amulet, golden crown on the prince. 3+, 5++ and 2++ vs fire and a 2++ vs the first wound. Realy a budget option.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
vespacian1

#4 Post by vespacian1 »

I second rdghuizing here, the main reason to take it would be to squeeze in an archmage. I tested this out once(albeit against lizardmen) with some decent success. I kept the dragon safe behind my lines and away from poison storm and the archmage really helped me with magic defense against the slann(just ran him cheap, lvl 4 and a dispel scroll).
I have to be honest, the stripped down prince was not terribly impressive, I used him to clean up a salamander, a skink unit and get a late flank charge on a depleted unit of saurus. He didn't die, but I considered what he'd bring against some proper opponents and found him lacking. His only real role is to dominate supporting units and provide some monstrous support to my primary infantry blocks.
Taking a hard look I'd almost definitely take an anointed on frosty + lvl 2 over the sun dragon prince and archmage. Especially in cannon heavy metas, lizards are an almost ideal opponent for this build and he still didn't really shine.
I haven't run the numbers, but I could see this guy being interesting at higher points levels like 4k where he could be properly kitted for a reasonable price while still leaving room for dual lord casters or a lord caster and mounted prince.
Note: It's a shame we can't put lvl 2 casters on sun dragons because a life caster with golden crown and scroll on a sun dragon would be a pretty decent unit at a reasonable price.
RedPanda

#5 Post by RedPanda »

Instead of having a mage on a dragon, you can have a Dragon Mage + scroll will do just fine. Plus he acts like a lv4 mage with max of 2 spells (3 if you use the ring) too abit you are limited to fire magic, but if you are just looking to nuke stuff with spells (which lv1-2 mages do best defaulting to the signature spells) the dragon mage is just perfect and has some defense unlike mages/archmages.