Chariot Type - Preferred?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

NiallCampbell

Chariot Type - Preferred?

#1 Post by NiallCampbell »

Hello folks,

I recently bought the Battalion Box Set just to boost my core.
Now I'm struggling to paint my Reavers from the IoB set so I fancy painting up a chariot just for something different to do.
I know chariots in general aren't the preferred Special choice, but if you had to choose, which would you go for?

A Lion Chariot or Tiranoc? I'm leaning towards LC mainly due to Stubborn/Fear and the Great Weapons of the crew. I know it's another 50 points or so...
Thoughts?

I play casual games mostly rather than comps so I'm not too fussed about it's strengths at a tournament level.
I suppose I could paint the one I prefer (LC obviously!) and then proxy it as a Tiranoc if I ever had to to try it out.

Thanks,

NC.
Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
A Skaven Army Diary: [url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8904892/1/#new]All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight[/url]
A High Elf Army Diary: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49666]The Glittering Host[/url]
RE.Lee

Re: Chariot Type - Preferred?

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Hobby-wise the Lion Chariot is a clear winner. The Tiranoc is much more worthwhile tactically, but, as you said, you can always proxy it...
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
NiallCampbell

#3 Post by NiallCampbell »

Thought so...
I really just need to focus on my Core but bah, the Reavers have caused me to hit the painting wall ;)
Time to build something totally different!

Why would you choose the Tiranoc tactically?
Is it the extra wargear options?

I would have thought Stubborn/Fear etc would be a lovely boon for the LC.
Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
A Skaven Army Diary: [url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8904892/1/#new]All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight[/url]
A High Elf Army Diary: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49666]The Glittering Host[/url]
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

The stubborn doesn't really matter when you're as squishy as a WLC and lets face it - its squishy. It would be a nice speedbump but at its point cost I'd expect more. The damage output is there, though so if you somehow make it into combat you might do ok.

The tiranoc on the other hand is decent chaff/chaff-clearer and most importantly - its almost as cheap as an eagle so you can always jut let it die for the greater good!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Nicene

#5 Post by Nicene »

I think Tiranoc is a stronger choice. The 50 points just isn't worth it--you could almost get two Tiranocs for the same price!

That being said, I own a Lion Chariot and run it as such in all my games. I don't particularly have anything against proxying it for a Tiranoc, but for now I'll just run it as a Lion. It definitely looks cooler in my opinion, which is why I built it that way.

Tactically, none of our chariots are popular, but I think a single Tiranoc is a great choice as a very versatile support unit in a combined-arms list. You can redirect, flank, add combat res, reduce return attacks, do all kinds of great stuff. And I think they're fun to use.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
gaz

#6 Post by gaz »

NiallCampbell wrote: Reavers have caused me to hit the painting wall ;)
Glad to hear I'm not the only one :lol:
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Tiranoc for sure. It's more cost effective compared to Lion Chariot.
The Lion Chariot is just too expensive.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Cold Phoenix

#8 Post by Cold Phoenix »

I think it depends on what you want. The Tiranoc is much cheaper and is great for clearing chaff (and can be used as chaff itself). It can also be taken in a unit, which can make it an ideal choice for spells such as Wyssan's Wildform. On the other hand, I used a borrowed Lion Chariot in a small game the other day and it did alot of damage to a unit of Lizardmen Cold One Riders (Which are T4 with a 2+), even after rolling a 1 for impact hits. I get the feelling that a pair of Lion Chariots could be very good at hunting monsters.
cptcosmic

#9 Post by cptcosmic »

for support in combat through corner charges I would take the skycutter. the ability to charge over units alone is golden. lion chariot, while costly, also works well in combination with spears or phoenix guard. I do not use the tiranoc, there is almost nothing the tiranoc can do which my reavers or small helm units from core points cannot do.
RE.Lee wrote:The stubborn doesn't really matter when you're as squishy as a WLC and lets face it - its squishy. It would be a nice speedbump but at its point cost I'd expect more. The damage output is there, though so if you somehow make it into combat you might do ok.
if you know you cannot avoid a combat which you cannot win I would rather charge along with a lion chariot sitting at the corner, deal alot of damage, let the chariot hold and my unit run away to rally next round.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

Going from the description you gave of your meta, I would say it doesn't matter too much which one you build.

All 3 chariots in the book are decent choices, none of them is top competative. The tyranoc chariot is generally considered the best choice, mainly because it's the cheapest one. It offers decent support, can take care of light weight threats and it's generally not a big deal if you lose it. The lion chariot is a very different beast though. With 4 S5 and 2 S6 attacks, it's damage output is a lot higher (compared to 2 S4 and 2 S3 attacks) and suddenly getting the charge is a lot less important. People who would consider taking a charge from a tyranoc, may hesitate about taking one from a lion chariot. Though not an option, the skycutter is somewhere in the middle. It's the most mobile of the 3, has decent damage output, but it doesn't hit as hard as a Lion chariot and it is more expensive then a tyranoc.

As said, in a mildly competative setting, all 3 can function, depending on your list of course. All three are a support unit and don't function too well on their own. In your case, I would go for the lion chariot. It's great fun to build and it adds some nice punch to an army list.

Of course, the best thing to do would be to get another chariot ;) They always work better in pairs...

And, +1 to the comment about painting reavers.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SZUPERhun

#11 Post by SZUPERhun »

In my opinion the flying chariot is the best. They can't redirect it!
Ghogra

#12 Post by Ghogra »

I run three chariots in what I call the Chariot Smash army. I use two lion chariots and one tiranoc. They do serve very different rolls. My tiranoc works more like an eagle while my lions support my infantry. The lions really add a lot of punch to spears. They all are a bit squishy, but when there are three (and sometimes a griffon noble), it saturates the targets too much for the enemy. It also provides me with lots of drops in the deployment phase which makes it easier for me to match up my infantry against the right targets.
[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER]