Archmage w/ High magic on eagle

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mrfantastical

Archmage w/ High magic on eagle

#1 Post by Mrfantastical »

So I've been kicking around the idea if running an lone archmage (with talisman of Pres & Book ) on a great eagle.

I'm one of the few that likes high magic for its board control elements, and versatility. I also like the relatively low casting cost offensive spells in the lore.

Cast one spell and now the Mage is rocking 3++. Wouldn't be for competitive builds, but I think this could be fun. Maybe run with a Shadow Mage as my primary.

Just an idea, wanted to see if I could get some feed back.
John Rainbow

Re: Archmage w/ High magic on eagle

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

It can work although you don't see it with High magic very often. Something like Death is usually a better choice as you can get close and use the shorter ranged spells. The big vulnerability here is going to be torrents of low strength attacks - I could see a unit of 30 archers or something bringing this guy down pretty easily.
MangoPunch

#3 Post by MangoPunch »

Dark Elves often run Death Sorceress on Dark Pegasus. It is very viable and can be competative.

The risk is of course shooting, but given the mobility of the mage you should be able to offer him pretty decent protection. Keep her out of charge arcs and with units or terrain intervening between him and BS shooters, that way they have a -3 modifiers for hard cover and lone target. Also, always err on the side of protecting him versus getting off that big spell, there is too much variability in getting off a spell or group of spells, and it is very very rarely worth the loss of your level 4 (especially in earlier turns).

There is actually a pretty good thread on protecting the sorceress/mage on Druchi.net right now, you should check it out.
Mrfantastical

#4 Post by Mrfantastical »

MangoPunch wrote:Dark Elves often run Death Sorceress on Dark Pegasus. It is very viable and can be competative.

The risk is of course shooting, but given the mobility of the mage you should be able to offer him pretty decent protection. Keep her out of charge arcs and with units or terrain intervening between him and BS shooters, that way they have a -3 modifiers for hard cover and lone target. Also, always err on the side of protecting him versus getting off that big spell, there is too much variability in getting off a spell or group of spells, and it is very very rarely worth the loss of your level 4 (especially in earlier turns).

There is actually a pretty good thread on protecting the sorceress/mage on Druchi.net right now, you should check it out.
This is where I got the idea from. After facing a wizard with a 3++ it was annoying! then I thought we can do the same, and high lore offers quite a few options ( as well gets the +1 to ward saves).

I'm wondering if dropping the Book in favor of Khaines ring would be better.
pk-ng

#5 Post by pk-ng »

MangoPunch wrote:Dark Elves often run Death Sorceress on Dark Pegasus. It is very viable and can be competative.

DE can do it because they have a Cloak of Twilight which HE don't
You don't get -1 to-hit for lone target....that's 7th edition rule
Cannons maybe an issue

On the flip side you'll probably have to right BoH + ToP with High...just cast 1 spell and you have 3++
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

30 archers hitting on 4s, wounding on 5s put 5 wounds through on you. Would you take those odds with a 4++?
Mrfantastical

#7 Post by Mrfantastical »

John Rainbow wrote:30 archers hitting on 4s, wounding on 5s put 5 wounds through on you. Would you take those odds with a 4++?
This is a valid concern, but you put 30 archers on the table and my eagle Mage isn't going anywhere near them.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#8 Post by Galharen »

Mrfantastical wrote:
John Rainbow wrote:30 archers hitting on 4s, wounding on 5s put 5 wounds through on you. Would you take those odds with a 4++?
This is a valid concern, but you put 30 archers on the table and my eagle Mage isn't going anywhere near them.
so he will cast no spells at all, due to 18/24" ranges of High lore spells.
MangoPunch

#9 Post by MangoPunch »

pk-ng wrote: DE can do it because they have a Cloak of Twilight which HE don't
You don't get -1 to-hit for lone target....that's 7th edition rule
Cannons maybe an issue

On the flip side you'll probably have to right BoH + ToP with High...just cast 1 spell and you have 3++
DEs did it before Cloak of Twilight...
Oops
Cannons are always an issue for any loan character, dragon lord or eagle mage and something your list will have to address - target saturation, lots of fast cav etc are tools HEs have.
John Rainbow wrote: 30 archers hitting on 4s, wounding on 5s put 5 wounds through on you. Would you take those odds with a 4++?
Some armies don't bring balistic based shooting and most BS shooting is 3BS, but let's say you are against elves at 4BS: If you play it smart you should have them hitting on 6s: -2 hard cover (either screened or >1/2 behind a building), and either -1 for moving (turn to get into front arch) or -1 for > half range. So that means 30 archers get 5 through on average, Wounding on 5s (S3 v T4), means 1-2 wounds, 4++ means 1 or less wound on average... If it is a BS3 army your chances are even better.

Brining a mage on eagle will definitelly require more skill then plunking one in a bunker or deathstar, but that doesn't mean that it isn't viable. Everyting has counters in WHFB and situations where they excel or are weak.