Loremaster Usage?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Bowenson

Loremaster Usage?

#1 Post by Bowenson »

Quick questions about one of our spellcasters. I've noticed in several discussions concerning the Loremaster that people discuss using him to cast multiple (more than 2 spells). I could have sworn I read in the rules however that you could only cast as many spells as you had wizard levels. Would someone please be able to point me in the correct ruling? One of the main reasons I haven't been using the Loremaster up to this point (besides him blowing himself and have of his accompanying entourage up in the first game I played him in) is because I thought he was limited to just 2 spells per turn. Thanks!
Nagashias

Re: Loremaster Usage?

#2 Post by Nagashias »

Bowenson wrote:Quick questions about one of our spellcasters. I've noticed in several discussions concerning the Loremaster that people discuss using him to cast multiple (more than 2 spells). I could have sworn I read in the rules however that you could only cast as many spells as you had wizard levels. Would someone please be able to point me in the correct ruling? One of the main reasons I haven't been using the Loremaster up to this point (besides him blowing himself and have of his accompanying entourage up in the first game I played him in) is because I thought he was limited to just 2 spells per turn. Thanks!
How did you imagine people would be able to point you to a rule, you believe does not exist? :)))

You roll for spells equilevant to your wizard level. As the Loremaster have a special rule stating he automatically get's the signature spells, and does not roll, he follow that rule rather than the BRB.
Bowenson

#3 Post by Bowenson »

I was actually hoping that some of our more enlightened brethren on this site might be able answer my question as I don't get to play very often, and have a very limited working knowledge of the rulebook. So for future reference if I get incredibly lucky with my dice, I could potentially let loose 8 spells in one magic phase? Sounds delightful!
theviking

#4 Post by theviking »

Don't have my rule book on me ATM, so no page quotes. But essentially a mage knows a number of spells equivalent to his level. Generally 1-4, but there is at least one level 5 special character, and of course anyone with the loremaster(lore) rule will know all the spells in the lore. Instead of rolling for spells, our Loremaster knows all eight signature spells. Now, a mage can only attempt each spell he knows once per magic phase. So a level 2 will only have two possibilities, barring any bound items, a level 4 might try four spells, a loremaster(lore) mage could cast 6+ spells depending on signatures, etc. Our loremaster could potentially cast each of his eight spells once per phase, but would need to be really lucky on some one dice attempts.
Loucipher

#5 Post by Loucipher »

What theviking said :) BTW, the exact summary of the magic phase is on p.29 of the BRB, and the rule stating that a Wizard can cast each of his spells once per Magic phase is on p.31.
Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/img][/url]
Asmodian

#6 Post by Asmodian »

The trick with the "chosen" spells is that you can have duplicate of that spell in the army, as they are bought at the rooster level army selection, not before the battle.

Loremaster chooses only signature spells, so you dont get exact picture of how usefull sometimes it can be.
Bowenson

#7 Post by Bowenson »

Awesome! Thanks everyone VERY much! My friends that I play with had me convinced that I could only cast two spells per phase and so I didn't deem the Loremaster worth his points if that was the case.
Eirik

#8 Post by Eirik »

Bowenson wrote:Awesome! Thanks everyone VERY much! My friends that I play with had me convinced that I could only cast two spells per phase and so I didn't deem the Loremaster worth his points if that was the case.
In my experience it's very common that relatively new players know the rules better than veterans specifically because people like to hold things over from old editions.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Viale

#9 Post by Viale »

Do try to get your Loremaster close to a Wizard Tower, if you play with random terrain. I had the possibility recently, sadly he blev himself up. But that is a lot of spells at your disposal :twisted:
Iamjack42

#10 Post by Iamjack42 »

Viale wrote:Do try to get your Loremaster close to a Wizard Tower, if you play with random terrain. I had the possibility recently, sadly he blev himself up. But that is a lot of spells at your disposal :twisted:
I did that my last game! Lamentably, I think the overabundance of choices was too much for me for most of the game, but I did get a nasty Doom and Darkness + Harmonic Convergence + Iceshard Blizzard combo up on a critical combat.