Flying Nobles

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Eltherion

Flying Nobles

#1 Post by Eltherion »

I was thinking of a few of these guys in a list

Noble Eagle, Starlance, Dragon Helm, Dragon Armor, Shield, Golden Crown (2+ AS, 6+ WS and 2+ s VS Flaming, Ignore first wounding hit on 2+, 3 wounds T4)
Attacks = 3 Strength 7 first round if charging ignore armor, plus 2 from Eagle + Stomp

Noble Eagle, Dragonbane Gem, Dragon Armor, Charmed Shield, Ogre Blade (3+ AS, 6+ WS and 2+ s VS Flaming, Ignore first hit on 2+, 3 wounds T4)
Attacks = 3 Strength 6 every round plus 2 from Eagle + Stomp

Plus a Frosty and 2 Eagles
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
NexS

Re: Flying Nobles

#2 Post by NexS »

I often run my BSB on an eagle and he usually does me proud. His build is *usually*
Noble
BSB, Eagle (both upgrades), Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, Sword of Might
2+ reroll/6++ 3xStr5 attacks, 2xStr4 AP attacks, one stomp, 3 wounds Toughness 4
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Eltherion

#3 Post by Eltherion »

Thanks Brad I forgot about the eagle upgrades.
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#4 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Can you add point cost for reference?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
wamphyri101

#5 Post by wamphyri101 »

Noble Eagle, Dragon Helm, Dragon Armor

Noble Eagle, Dragonbane Gem, Dragon Armor
dont need both unless you are paying for the 6+ ward
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
NexS

#6 Post by NexS »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Can you add point cost for reference?

Cheers!
Whether or not this was meant for me, I should have put my BSB's cost up there.

He sits in nicely at 220 Points :)

Also, I'd been having thoughts on how best to build on free stats for a noble and figured that Plonking him on a Tiranoc Chariot gives him T4 and W4, which is cool! But being a chariot, he would be receiving as many attacks as possible from enemy units...
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Eltherion

#7 Post by Eltherion »

I have built them like this so they can both shrug off a cannonball on a 2+.

Alrighty I have added the points cost and the Dragon Armor is for the 6+ Ward (can downgrade each to save 6pts each by using heavy armor, but lose the Ward Save).

Replace Dragon Armor with Heavy Armor and Lion Cloaks -2pts each model.

Eagle upgrades if you have more points to spend Swiftsense ASF 10pts and Shredding Talons Armor Piercing 5pts

Make one a BSB for +25pts

Noble Eagle, Starlance, Dragon Helm, Dragon Armor, Shield, Golden Crown (2+ AS, 6+ WS and 2+ WS vs. Flaming, Ignore first wounding hit on 2+, 3 wounds T4)
Attacks = 3 Strength 7 first round if charging ignore armor, plus 2 from Eagle + Stomp
Cost = 182

Noble Eagle, Luckstone, Dragon Armor, Charmed Shield, Ogre Blade (3+ AS with 1 re-roll, 6+ WS and 2+ WS vs. Flaming, Ignore first hit on 2+, 3 wounds T4)
Cost = 180

or

Noble Eagle, Luckstone, Dragon Armor, Enchanted Shield, Ogre Blade (2+ AS with 1 re-roll, 6+ WS and 2+ VS Flaming, 3 wounds T4)
Cost = 180

The idea was to keep them cheapish.

Possible support, a Frosty and 2 Eagles
Last edited by Eltherion on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

f00ssa

#8 Post by f00ssa »

On your builds 2 & 3, replace dragonbane gem with luckstone - you already have fireprotection from dragon armour so the gem does nothing.
Eltherion

#9 Post by Eltherion »

f00ssa

Thanks I overlooked that one. I have edited above.

Orien

#10 Post by Orien »

My usual Eagle BSB:

Noble
Eagle with upgrades
Heavy Armour
Lion Cloak
Charmed Shield
Talisman of Preservation
Lance

Comes in at a nice 224 points.
oreaper

#11 Post by oreaper »

I almost always run my bsb with golden crown, reaver bow, lance, heavy arm, lion cloak, dragonhelm, shield, eagle with swift....i call him Lord Doesitall
Malossar
Something Cool

#12 Post by Malossar »

My utility noble:

Noble - 184
-Eagle, Heavy Armor, Lance, White Lion Cloak, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Charmed Shield

Super mobile, uses his reaver bow to hunt ethereals and monsters. I love the pot of strength to pop quick wounds on things like steam tanks (remember if you get lucky and deal 3 wounds it now has a 50% chance to misfire...) and he can pop warmachines pretty decently.

Late game I use him a flanker and machine clearer. I love the mobility and he has enough punch to be a decent combat threat.

With the Loremaster its fun to pop Wyssan's on him and shoot with str 6.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Beltar

#13 Post by Beltar »

My warmashine hunter:

Star lance, Charmed shield, Golden crown of altazar, Potion of foolhardines. And you can choose HA+LC or DA based on your meta - many archers or fire missiles.
Gildor777

#14 Post by Gildor777 »

Malossar,

How have you found the Reaver Bow to work on the Eagle? I found the 10 inch move often put me in a bad spot so I had to chose between either an exposed position to be able to fire, or make the 20" march move and miss out on shooting.
Malossar
Something Cool

#15 Post by Malossar »

I love the reaver bow on the eagle! The 10" gives me more mobility to line up shots, increase charge lanes or move back enough to still shoot and stay tucked away.

The rest of my army is very mobile though. Makes it quite easy to keep him safe with advancing cavalry and a frostheart.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Motley

#16 Post by Motley »

I was wondering about trying a build somewhat like this as I am playing lower point games at the moment and can't fit anything bigger that fly's in.

Have you got any pics of how you have modeled being mounted on an Eagle? I could not seen any GW models like this and wondered if

a) people didn't do it cos it was seen as a bit rubbish
b) did the Wood Elf Eagle surfing thing on a regular Eagle
c) some how mounted a cav rider on a regular Eagle
d) something else.

Cheers,
Taentagel

#17 Post by Taentagel »

I have been reading this as I convert some new models.

What do people think about mounting a mage on an eagle and equipping it with double soul quench; ring and spell?

Dropping two sets of 2D6 S4 hits would devastate war machine crews/redirectors or soften up infantry units. You could even pick two different targets every turn.

Should your opponent try and deal with the mage he would have to expose a flank or the rear of one unit or move his redirectors, hopefully he will have no war machine to bear round by then.

A bit more pricey than a noble, with less potential survivability but a lot more damage to throw about.

Any thoughts?
Modelling Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60651url]Caledor Rising[/url]
Army Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=61967url]Caledor Marches[/url]
NexS

#18 Post by NexS »

You'd probably get more use out of a noble with reaver bow. while you only get one target per turn, you can't be dispelled and you get the extra strength
Regards,
Brad
wamphyri101

#19 Post by wamphyri101 »

Taentagel wrote:I have been reading this as I convert some new models.

What do people think about mounting a mage on an eagle and equipping it with double soul quench; ring and spell?

Dropping two sets of 2D6 S4 hits would devastate war machine crews/redirectors or soften up infantry units. You could even pick two different targets every turn.

Should your opponent try and deal with the mage he would have to expose a flank or the rear of one unit or move his redirectors, hopefully he will have no war machine to bear round by then.

A bit more pricey than a noble, with less potential survivability but a lot more damage to throw about.

Any thoughts?

Would be great. Flying death mage! Sadly mages can't ride eagles in this book
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Taentagel

#20 Post by Taentagel »

But an archmage can.

I still use mage to describe any caster, probaly comes from the old level 5 to 25 days for characters................

Which was few years ago now.
Modelling Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60651url]Caledor Rising[/url]
Army Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=61967url]Caledor Marches[/url]
Eltherion2

#21 Post by Eltherion2 »

Highest Australian Ranking 31
2015 Club Championship (Runner Up)
2014: 2nd Place Barglecon II, 2nd Place Conviction (High Elves)
2013 Barglecon I Best General (High Elves)
2011 M.O.A.B 10th Place (Dark Elves)
2010 Devilcon 4th Place, Blood on the Reich 2nd Place (Skaven)
Bashtrigger

#22 Post by Bashtrigger »

NexS wrote:You'd probably get more use out of a noble with reaver bow. while you only get one target per turn, you can't be dispelled and you get the extra strength
Why not just do both :D
aquietfrog

#23 Post by aquietfrog »

Question, How is a noble on eagle supposed to shrug off a cannonball on a 2+? Aren't cannonballs strength 10?
Eltherion2

#24 Post by Eltherion2 »

Charmed Shield ignore first hit on a 2+ and Golden Crown Ignore first wounding hit on a 2+ so that's 2 cannonballs. The Dragon armour for a 2+ vs. Flaming Cannons (Skull cannons) and a 6+ Ward vs. the rest.

I am seriously trying to include one of these guys with more Dwarves around and hunting Warmachines and Gyros.

Maybe this build or just a Lance to save points

Noble Great Eagle, Star lance, Charmed shield, Golden crown of Altazar, Potion of foolhardiness, Dragon Armour.
aquietfrog

#25 Post by aquietfrog »

Oh, I thought you meant the armour save. Thanks. I'm also considering using a similar build. Just to verify, the charmed shield activates on the first hit, while the golden crown works on the first wound, therefore they stack rather than activate at the same time, right?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#26 Post by Prince of Spires »

aquietfrog wrote: Just to verify, the charmed shield activates on the first hit, while the golden crown works on the first wound, therefore they stack rather than activate at the same time, right?
Yes. Hitting and wounding are quite different.

Just keep in mind that something like a unit of archers shooting at your noble can get rid of both without too much trouble. Hitting and wounding a t4 model is not that difficult, even if you're not going to get past the armour save. A standard unit of 10-12 archers should probably manage both in a single turn of shooting. (at least if you play it that the golden crown wardsave goes before armour saves)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mandavar

#27 Post by Mandavar »

rdghuizing wrote: Just keep in mind that something like a unit of archers shooting at your noble can get rid of both without too much trouble. Hitting and wounding a t4 model is not that difficult, even if you're not going to get past the armour save. A standard unit of 10-12 archers should probably manage both in a single turn of shooting. (at least if you play it that the golden crown wardsave goes before armour saves)

Rod
Which my enemies do rather regularly .. I usually split the items between chars to mitigate that issue somewhat.
Eltherion2

#28 Post by Eltherion2 »

It depends a lot on the Meta in your area I tend to face WoC, Dwarves, Bretts, Greenskins, Lizardmen, HE's, DE's and VC.

So will have to be careful vs. shooty lists.
Orien

#29 Post by Orien »

I face mainly WoC and Empire and my Eagle Noble BSB has the following build:

Longbow, Charmed Shield, Starlance, Crown of Atrazar, Potion of Forgetfulness, lion cloak, HA, Eagle.

Against WoC he chases down chariots with flank charges and other chaff, whilst providing combat res with supporting charges on the bigger combats. The longbow is there to take the charmed shield off the DP.

Against Empire my regular opponent is obsessed with the Frost Phoenix in my list so doesn't realise until it's too late that his war machines are toast....!

He's brilliant.
Andrew_uk

#30 Post by Andrew_uk »

The following is very fun!! (I did this once under the old book)

Lv4 Beasts Archmage 4+Ward, Silver Wand - I might be tempted to swap this out for something which gives a more reliable chance of casting
Mounted on Eagle

Prince
+3 Attacks
Mounted on Eagle

Noble
+2 attacks
Mounted on Eagle

Noble
Mounted on Eagle
+1 Attack

(I might be tempted to throw in a mage caddy just so I can secure spell selection on the Archmage)

All Archer Core - I would probably now change this up with a couple of units of reavers and a couple of units of Helms. The small archer units would still be great though particularly if you play on a map with buildings or lots of terrain.

I took 1 unit of DPs before (mainly because my army is from Caledor and I refuse to leave home without them) but also partly because I wanted to get Skeinsliver and the banner of sorcery in... they've both gone now so there's no use for this unit

Max eagles and then a couple of RBTs... with the new book I might be tempted to include some sisters to strip regen (I used to have a solid 30 man archer hoarde with banner of eternal flame for that exact job)

So Tactics... basically I got laughed at for picking that army when I did, people said "you have no blocks, you're nuts"... Then I beat them. Here's why... You have so much maneuverability built into this list that you can pick who you fight, where, when, how etc. Now there are 2 spells which should immediately jump out at you; the one for +3 toughness (cast this on the first turn when your fliers will all be out of combat and they will all have T7) and the one for +3 S and A. You can make this affect all of them simultaneously and just wipe out whatever you want. The prince alone has 10 S7 attacks.

The Reavers can play mind games with your opponent for you and the firepower can tidy up the chaff. Then finally slam in your units of helms and you can even cast the default spell to make them S6 T4
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log