Flying Nobles

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Bashtrigger

Re: Flying Nobles

#31 Post by Bashtrigger »

This works fine... untill you're suddenly staring at the barrel of a cannon or, perhaps even worse, a hellblaster.

The idea behind the list is pretty fun though. I once attempted something similar with 5 mounted nobles in the front rank of a unit of silver helms. One bad magic phase would generally dampen the fun :cry:
Andrew_uk

#32 Post by Andrew_uk »

I've seen others post lists with them riding in a silver helm bus. The problem is that doing that means you a) reduce the number of targets you have to charge/the area of the board you can threaten and b) you put all your eggs in one basket which means they're very vulnerable to everything which any normal deathstar is

Mounting them on eagles also helps with warmachines too. That list provides too many targets for a gunline to actually hit everything and all the pace and flexibility required to disable those targets quickly and easily
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Eltherion2

#33 Post by Eltherion2 »

Lots of Eagle Nobles would go well with normal Eagles and Phoenixes.
Highest Australian Ranking 31
2015 Club Championship (Runner Up)
2014: 2nd Place Barglecon II, 2nd Place Conviction (High Elves)
2013 Barglecon I Best General (High Elves)
2011 M.O.A.B 10th Place (Dark Elves)
2010 Devilcon 4th Place, Blood on the Reich 2nd Place (Skaven)
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#34 Post by Curu Olannon »

Eagle Nobles in SH reduces the unit`s M to 2...
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
NexS

#35 Post by NexS »

Curu Olannon wrote:Eagle Nobles in SH reduces the unit`s M to 2...
This.

Again.... This..
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Eltherion2

#36 Post by Eltherion2 »

Tried an Eagle Noble out on the weekend in a 20 player Tournament

I went with the following build designed largely for warmachine hunting.

Lance
Dragon Armour
Charmed Shield
Golden Crown
Potion of Foolhardiness

I must say after using him I would definitely take one again but probably tool him up a bit differently.

This is how he performed
Game 1 killed 2 pump wagons and 2 rock lobbers and survived
Game 2 killed nothing but tied up a lord on a griffin
Game 3 killed by a dragon
Game 4 killed the Slaan touch and go but netted 625pts before dieing in the process.
Game 5 was killed by a hellcannon

After these experiences I would change his set up slightly.

If I wanted to save points I would simply swap out the charmed shield for the enchanted shield. Giving him a 2+ Armour save which I found he needed to survive better.

Lance
Dragon Armour
Enchanted Shield
Golden Crown
Potion of Foolhardiness

Adding a few more points

Star Lance* +24pts This may have helped swing combats vs. Hellcannon and Griffin
Dragon Armour
Enchanted Shield
Golden Crown
Potion of Foolhardiness
Last edited by Eltherion2 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NexS

#37 Post by NexS »

Eltherion2 wrote:Tried an Eagle Noble out on the weekend in a 20 player Tournament

I went with the following build designed largely for warmachine hunting.

Lance
Dragon Armour
Charmed Shield
Golden Crown
Potion of Foolhardiness

I must say after using him I would definitely take one again but probably tool him up a bit differently.

This is how he performed
Game 1 killed 2 pump wagons and 2 rock lobbers and survived
Game 2 killed nothing but tied up a lord on a griffin
Game 3 killed by a dragon
Game 4 killed the Slaan touch and go but netted 625pts
Game 5 was killed by a hellcannon

After these experiences I would change his set up slightly.

If I wanted to save points I would simply swap out the charmed shield for the enchanted shield. Giving him a 2+ Armour save which I found he needed to survive better.

Lance
Dragon Armour
Enchanted Shield
Golden Crown
Potion of Foolhardiness

Adding a few more points

Star Lance* +24pts This may have helped swing combats vs. Hellcannon and Griffin
Dragon Armour
Enchanted Shield
Golden Crown
Potion of Foolhardiness
Your oponent must have been doing some very poor rolling in order to have a slann killed by a noble on an eagle haha! also, the base of a slann should never be exposed (this would be considered using temple guard incorrectly in my books!).

The other option of a kitout you could use for him would be something like
Noble
-Heavy armour
-Lion Cloak
-Ench Shield
-Dawnstone
-Golden crown
-Lance
-Eagle

Should give you a 1+ from shooting and 2+ in combat re-rollable. Still the 2++ protection from a cannon. Just watch out for no-armour arrows of wood elves!
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Eltherion2

#38 Post by Eltherion2 »

NexS
I can't recall but the Slaan may have had a wound on him from an earlier miscast.

He had his Slaan on the edge to reduce miscast damage and over 2 rounds of combat my noble killed him Potion Foolhardiness 1st round so 4 ASF Str 6 and two Eagle attacks for the 1st round, followed by 5 attacks second round combat. The Slaan failed some 4+ WS's :) but worth the gamble for me.
Last edited by Eltherion2 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xarhain

#39 Post by Xarhain »

Anyone put any thought to an Eagle Noble with the ring of fury? Seems he could often be in a very good position to use the 18" soul quench, with the bonus of a 5+ ward when combined with dragon armour. Being magic it could still be used when he marches unlike the reaver bow and leaves a good amount of magic item allowance for the favourites like charmed shield/golden crown etc.

I'm having trouble getting the ring to fit in my list and this might be a solution. Thoughts?

Even combine it with the reaver bow?
Eltherion2

#40 Post by Eltherion2 »

Xarhain wrote:Anyone put any thought to an Eagle Noble with the ring of fury? Seems he could often be in a very good position to use the 18" soul quench, with the bonus of a 5+ ward when combined with dragon armour. Being magic it could still be used when he marches unlike the reaver bow and leaves a good amount of magic item allowance for the favourites like charmed shield/golden crown etc.

I'm having trouble getting the ring to fit in my list and this might be a solution. Thoughts?

Even combine it with the reaver bow?
This seems like a good idea considering the number of Elves around at the moment.
Medivo

#41 Post by Medivo »

I currently run two mounted nobles in my 2400pt. MSU list;

BSB, Talisman of Protection (the 4++), Charmed Shield, Lance, lion cloak, heavy armour

and the second runs with dragon armour, dawnstone, Other tricksters shard, lance and enchanted shield.

having the two, along side a frostheart and 2 normal eagles gives me some solid successes so far dealing with enemy warmachines.

I recently took the BSB build for 6 games at the UK Call to War in stockport, where he only died in two games, and in one, he killed a wood elf dragon after its rider had been murdered by a unit of dragon princes.

The main problem I've found with eagle characters is how easy they are to cannon snipe, so I dont think I'm leaving home without the frostheart as a cannonball magnet, and then get them into combat on a corner as soon as possible!
Eltherion2

#42 Post by Eltherion2 »

Medivo wrote:I currently run two mounted nobles in my 2400pt. MSU list;

BSB, Talisman of Protection (the 4++), Charmed Shield, Lance, lion cloak, heavy armour

and the second runs with dragon armour, dawnstone, Other tricksters shard, lance and enchanted shield.

having the two, along side a frostheart and 2 normal eagles gives me some solid successes so far dealing with enemy warmachines.

I recently took the BSB build for 6 games at the UK Call to War in stockport, where he only died in two games, and in one, he killed a wood elf dragon after its rider had been murdered by a unit of dragon princes.

The main problem I've found with eagle characters is how easy they are to cannon snipe, so I dont think I'm leaving home without the frostheart as a cannonball magnet, and then get them into combat on a corner as soon as possible!
Charmed Shield and Golden Crown are the anti Cannon items however multiple cannons cause big problems still. Otherwise its simply hide behind the terrain.

The 2+ Ward vs. Flaming can be useful vs. Skull Cannons and other Flaming ones.