reaver equipment

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Farseer

reaver equipment

#1 Post by Farseer »

Hello,
Just wondering how people usually run their 5 man units of reevers. tempting to run spears and bows because of the models but that seems quite expensive. Is strength 4 and the advantage this gives them charging against enemy chaff more important than the bow shots?
Tethlis

Re: reaver equipment

#2 Post by Tethlis »

Farseer wrote:Hello,
Just wondering how people usually run their 5 man units of reevers. tempting to run spears and bows because of the models but that seems quite expensive. Is strength 4 and the advantage this gives them charging against enemy chaff more important than the bow shots?
It depends on your meta. The primary usefulness I get out of Spears is when attacking high-Toughness Warmachine crews like Dwarves. Warmachine crews are one of the few times I commit Reavers to close combat with the intention of actually winning the fight, so Spears are useful there. Otherwise, I just take Bows. More arrows is great, the upgrade to replace Spears with Bows is cheap, and it lets the Reavers run around to marchblock/redirect and still do a little damage. If I were fighting warmachine crews all day every day though, I'd give more consideration to Spears.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Shadeseraph

#3 Post by Shadeseraph »

Bows all the way mostly. Spears and bows on MSU for multitasking. Those bows usually plink a couple wounds on hard to target enemies, maybe causing a panic test on some small redirectors (goblins or warhounds). It's magic when they do.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
ElderlyElf

#4 Post by ElderlyElf »

I've gone with all options, but I've been convinced to go with just bows. If you have the points to spare, I think you might get more out of ASF on an eagle than spears + bows on reavers.
Eltherion

#5 Post by Eltherion »

I keep mine cheap and run them with just spears.

Foot bowmen you can get 3 for the price of 1 Reaver with spear & bow.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
First Strike

#6 Post by First Strike »

I think is all depends on the player and what you want out of them, Reavers will never be on the recieving end of a charge unless you make a mistake or want them to (and then they are not going to live anyway). I run mine with the spears and bow, I dont think anybody would run with just spear, the spear is there for chaging enemy chaff or warmachines.
Eltherion

#7 Post by Eltherion »

First Strike wrote:I think is all depends on the player and what you want out of them, Reavers will never be on the recieving end of a charge unless you make a mistake or want them to (and then they are not going to live anyway). I run mine with the spears and bow, I dont think anybody would run with just spear, the spear is there for chaging enemy chaff or warmachines.
That is what I use my Reavers for and either flank or rear supporting charges.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
Larkspire

#8 Post by Larkspire »

Always w/ bows. I try to give them spears too if I have the points.
Avicii

#9 Post by Avicii »

Just a quick mention that musicians can be useful sometimes as well. If you're a confident redirector you can set up and keep the confidence to flee knowing that you can rally on LD9. I have found this very helpful at times.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50357]Army Blog Current Style: 'Phoenix Monster List'[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41334]How to make your own Battle Chronicler components/images[/url]
medevilmike

#10 Post by medevilmike »

I run mine with both spears and bows, I use the bows for harassment mostly and spears for flank charges. the str 4 on the charge is a HUGE deal assuming you pick your battles properly, and with 18inch moving fast cav it shouldnt be a problem. If I had to drop one of their options it would almost always be the bows dropped.
Icarion

#11 Post by Icarion »

i take both spear and bow as i like to be flexible.
Caledor for life!
siovim

#12 Post by siovim »

last couple of games i've run one unit with bows and one with spears. The bow unit takes out small units like skaven weapon teams and goblin fanatics, while the spear unit aims for warmachines. Both are used to redirect. Has served me well sofar
ju1ce

#13 Post by ju1ce »

I run 2x units with Bows and muso. Bows for harrassment like that mosquitto buzzing above ur bed, doesnt really do much but really annoying. Muso for the +1 rally roll is great value.
[color=#FF0000][b]Truth[/b][/color], [color=#4000FF]like the[/color] [color=#FF0000][b]ju1ce [/b][/color][color=#4000BF]of the poppy, in small quantities, calms men; in larger, heats and irritates them, and is attended by fatal consequences in excess.
[i]Walter Savage Landor[/i][/color]
Archmage_Mariona

#14 Post by Archmage_Mariona »

It just comes down to your meta and what you want from your Reavers. This topic has stated good points for all 3 options and everyone goes by different methods. I personally like changing my list every time I play (since I don't play often this is easy) so in some lists I find the extra S4 attacks into a flank or rear can make all the difference in a combat, or against a warmachine but when it comes down to it my reavers more often than not take bows and make use of their feigned flight and re-directing. It depends as much on your list and your meta as it does on the unit itself. I rarely recommend both bows and spears though as it can add up a lot of points on a few units that are supposed to be cheap but having said that on the occasions I've taken both I've never regretted it as its another way we can overcome unforeseen circumstances with a unit that can be wherever it needs to be at a moment's notice. So back to my original point, all of the choices are good, just find the way that works best with the rest of your army.
baerliner25

#15 Post by baerliner25 »

Hi,

I think the main purpose of a Reaver unit is to redirect or to be sacrificed if required.

Both ambitions are achieved best, if the unit is cheap. Therefore, the conclusion for me is, that they should be used with either bows OR spears. Since both gears can be useful I may suggest to mix it up: 2 x 5 Reavers with bows, 1 x 5 Reavers with spears. However, if you play e.g. against dwarfs you may skip the bows completely, since they will do very little damage.

So for me it is either bows or spears.
Celoril Le'fer

#16 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

I began by running them with only bows and a musician. Considering they will most of the time be fleeing from charges I find good value in a musician. Being able to close great distances and still fire volleys is very useful if their target is right. (With luck they can even, almost single-handedly take down Greater Daemons with only their bows, I have found. :P )

I often face chariots and other T4-5 targets suitable for the Reavers, which all can be bogged down, and even beaten by a flank charge. As a result I often found myself regretting not arming them with spears. Therefore, they are now mostly armed with both spears and bows and have a musician in their midst.
[color=#FF4040]High Elves[/color]
[color=#800080]Skaven[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Vampire Counts[/color]
[color=#BF0040]Space[/color] [color=#FFBF00]Orks[/color]
[color=#008040]Rohan[/color]
[color=#008040]Dark[/color] [color=#FFBF00]Angels[/color]

Check out my [url=http://poisontail.wordpress.com/]hobby blog[/url]!
Mathias

#17 Post by Mathias »

What do we have to gain using a musician with the Reavers?
Winning combat due to a musician seems rare to me, and because the're fast cav the'll rally anyway and can reform as many times as they like... Am I missing something?
RE.Lee

#18 Post by RE.Lee »

I run them as cheap as possible, unless I have points to spare. Spears are ok for dealing with chaff, though any kills are a bonus. The unit is there to die most of the time.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Dookie-Elgi

#19 Post by Dookie-Elgi »

Mathias wrote:What do we have to gain using a musician with the Reavers?
Winning combat due to a musician seems rare to me, and because the're fast cav the'll rally anyway and can reform as many times as they like... Am I missing something?
Its not so much using a musician to win in CC, but to confer the +1 leadership on the unit when taking a leadership test to rally after fleeing even when they choose to flee a charging enemy.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#20 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mathias wrote:What do we have to gain using a musician with the Reavers?
Fast cavalry doesn't automatically rally after fleeing, they still have to pass a LD test. Adding in the musician then means that they rally on a 9 instead of an 8. Which is roughly going from 72% to 83% chance of passing the test. If you often find your reavers outside of general and bsb range, then that 11% increase can be worth the 10 points you're investing in it. After all, what else would you get for 10 core points? 1 archer?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mathias

#21 Post by Mathias »

Dookie-Elgi wrote:Its not so much using a musician to win in CC, but to confer the +1 leadership on the unit when taking a leadership test to rally after fleeing even when they choose to flee a charging enemy.
rdghuizing wrote:Fast cavalry doesn't automatically rally after fleeing, they still have to pass a LD test. Adding in the musician then means that they rally on a 9 instead of an 8. Which is roughly going from 72% to 83% chance of passing the test. If you often find your reavers outside of general and bsb range, then that 11% increase can be worth the 10 points you're investing in it. After all, what else would you get for 10 core points? 1 archer?

Rod
Thanks, then my initial thoughts were correct.
OT: I use my Reavers with Bow only + Musician. Arguments herefore are given during this topic by many others then me, I'm not gonna repeat them :p