White Lions, Sword Masters, or Phoenix Guard in 8th Ed?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Pensfan

White Lions, Sword Masters, or Phoenix Guard in 8th Ed?

#1 Post by Pensfan »

I just picked up a big lot of figs last week and combined with the contents of the new Isle of Blood boxset in Sept, I have a nice force started I think. What I am really missing though is a special infantry unit to serve along side my 50+ strong Spears/LSG core unit(s) as the main infantry blocks.

I currently have 10 SMs with FC, so filling them out is a cheaper route of course. However I am really looking for the best units to add to the rest of my force.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-

This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.
[i]C.S. Lewis - The Cause for Christianity[/i]

Forever hold this heart that I will give to YOU!
Forever I will live for YOU!

Always with Courage, Ever with Honor.
Pensfan

Re: White Lions, Swordmasters, or Phoenix Guard in 8th Ed?

#2 Post by Pensfan »

Here is what I currently have...

- Star Dragon (w/ Lord or Mage)
- 2 Mounted Heroes, 1 Foot Hero, 1 Foot BSB
- 2 Foot Mages, 1 Mounted Mage

- 35 Archers w/FC
- 32 Spear / LSG w/FC

- 9 Dragon Princes w/FC
- 14 Silver Helms w/FC
- 10 Ellryian Reavers
- 2 Chariots box sets (leaning towards Lions)

- 10 Swordmasters w/FC

- 1 Bolt Thrower
- 1 Great Eagle

If the contents of the Isle of Blood set is accurate, I will be adding the following figs in Sept:
- Prince on Griffon
- Mage on foot
- 20 LSG
- 10 Swordmasters
- 5 Ellyrian Reavers
-

This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.

grantmepower

Re: White Lions, Sword Masters, or Phoenix Guard in 8th Ed?

#3 Post by grantmepower »

M'kay. Just warning you here, 50+ spear units still suck. It's just way too many points. 2x25 spears or LSG is a better idea tactically than 1x50. 50 LSG is 700 or so points for the unit!
As far as which special, you still can't go wrong with any of them, but their roles have changed a bit in this edition. Phoenix Guard have gotten undisputedly better as they can weather the inevitable attacks back with their 4+ ward while the white lions and swordmasters can't. They will also now be putting out somewhere in the realm of 10-15 attacks (depending of width and champion) as opposed to the 5-8 that they used to receive. White lions also double their attacks this edition, receiving 15 strength 6 attacks for the optimal unit, which will simply tear through Cav and monsters, but not necessarily infantry of number because of the attacks back and the puny 5+ save that the lions receive. Swordmasters are much the same, simply not being able to survive attacks back, which weakens them and changes their role considerably. Still, if you want something to take a crud-ton of wounds swordmasters are still going to be the answer.
So, as to which elite unit to take, I'd say phoenix guard if you have the points and the money to shell out for 25+ of them, which they will need in this edition of horrendous close combat grind. Otherwise let your spears do the grinding and buy some white lions (a unit of 14 ranked 2x7) for taking out cav and monsters (which they get even better at with the flaming attacks banner).
For your chariots you likely do want the white lions chariots rather than the tiranoc simply because WL chariots have a greater chance of surviving attacks back and of killing more to take out rank bonus stubborn quicker. Though they should be performing combined charges rather than solo. Also, they receive a boost this edition with the guys on top actually striking at strength 6 with their great weapons rather than the current strength 5 because they are mounted.
~Grant
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
Pensfan

#4 Post by Pensfan »

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I was thinking of breaking out the spears/LSG into 2x25 for sure. I agree, 50 is WAY too huge.

Yeah I am thinking that PG are the way to go with the Ward Save.

Thanks for the feedback!
-

HERO

#5 Post by HERO »

Two units of 32 Spears in FC in 2500 games meets the min core criteria :)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Eldareth

#6 Post by Eldareth »

Phoenix Guard rock. The Ward save keeps them in for a long while.

Add in the AP banner and they can even put the hurt on fairly well. They are also a great place to hide Wizards and Banners of Sorcery.