Blocks FTW

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Blocks FTW

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

I've been holding off on commenting lately as I haven't read the rules, just gleaned what I can from the net. I've seen quite a few lists though with fewer units than comparable 7th edition lists and large blocks featuring prominently.

From a combat perspective obviously these stand up better now (though I used to run a couple anyway). I'm just wondering if they will still suffer from being a bit slow and getting outmaneouvred due to lack of support units?

What do you guys think?
Alathenar

Re: Blocks FTW

#2 Post by Alathenar »

It will be a lot harder for HE to pull it off then other armies, but i've seen people talking about 40+ units of LSG etc.
SpellArcher wrote:they will still suffer from being a bit slow and getting outmaneouvred due to lack of support units?
True, especially the ones that get to 10 wide, I can see troubles occuring with those units.
I can't wait to see some configurations people come up with!
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

I know they will be harder to march-block and obviously to break, given Steadfast.

Presumably a strategically-placed Eagle would still restrict their movement though?
Marastus

#4 Post by Marastus »

yes they can but now they generally have to be sacrificed and take the charge, because if you flee from their charge if they pass a leadership test they get to declare a new charge, but hey ho its worth losing the 50 points if you can get position on them, i think anyway
Greenman

#5 Post by Greenman »

10-elf wide units will be hard to make effective i think.what would be the point if you have more ranks?Also,i really can't see people taking 50 seaguard at 2000 pts for long.too much like caviar for dinner every day and just as squidgy.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Marastus wrote: its worth losing the 50 points if you can get position on them, i think anyway
Agreed, still a very useful tactical tool, if less awesome than before.
Greenman wrote:10-elf wide units will be hard to make effective i think
I think PapaElf's list has just one big Core unit, it's an idea.
Greenman

#7 Post by Greenman »

I ran a 52 strong phalanx of spears at a dwarven gunline and 12 survived the game.Quite surprising really.do you think we'll find ourselves using dragon princes as anvils for the spear hammer?
Allerion
Librarian

#8 Post by Allerion »

Greenman wrote:I ran a 52 strong phalanx of spears at a dwarven gunline and 12 survived the game.Quite surprising really.do you think we'll find ourselves using dragon princes as anvils for the spear hammer?
was it the main thing he targeted, allowing most of your good stuff to get into combat? Id trade 40 spears for that.
Excited for TOW
PapaElf

#9 Post by PapaElf »

My playgroup has yet to play any 8th edition games, no one has a copy of the rules. On that front, we are trying to arrange a deal with the GW store manager, where we pay $20 to photograph the rule book, page by page, create a PDF file, and print our own books.

Back on subject, In our brainstorming sessions, we our coming to the conclusions that the hoards are going to be the armies most difficult to defeat. It's my belief that it will take a hoard to beat a hoard. Now having said that, the fact that one selects a block of infantry large enough to create a hoard, (i.e. 30 models) does not mean that the block HAS to go on the table as a hoard. Make this decision at game time. If the opponent is a hoard than 3 x 10, if not a hoard, than 6 x 5, or pull two characters making the unit 28, and deploy 4 x 7.

Remember, nothing is cast is stone. Consider the rules change as an opportunity to rethink one's tactics, and try new things.
PapaElf