2x 8th Edition Battle Reps and Thoughts

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2x 8th Edition Battle Reps and Thoughts

#31 Post by SpellArcher »

Foxbat's point in the Lizardman FAQ specifically refers to the Engine Effects as 'spells'. This is good enough for me but I have had it argued against.

I guess it depends on your gaming group or TO.
Foxbat

#32 Post by Foxbat »

DwarfBoy wrote:If its a spell, then what is its casting value? All spells can be dispelled, so what do you need to roll to dispell burning alignement? Can you use a scroll?

Point made.
The EoTG’s effects are auto cast and by RAW can’t be dispelled by any means (refer Lm AB pg 55).
Lord Anathir

#33 Post by Lord Anathir »

Fair enough. Lets put the thread back on topic.

Anyone else played some games and has feedback? What units worked and what didnt and so on.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Foxbat

#34 Post by Foxbat »

LA, has your BSB been in direct engagements?

If so, would dropping the GW in favour of a shield to get the 6+ ward save made a difference?

I was thinking about taking this action as it frees up 6 points which can then be used to buy a handy 5 pt magic item for one of the unit champions.
Lord Anathir

#35 Post by Lord Anathir »

I've kept the BSb alive every game, out of combat. Even with max protection (armor of caledor/guardian phoenix) hes too squishy.

Its a good point about the shield actually, but I think I'll keep the great weapon just incase hes got to fight. the PG champ is booked anyways.

Heres where I stand:

Lvl 4, Life, Book of Hoeth, 360
Lvl 2, Shadow, Seer, 165
Noble, BSB, GW, DA, Banner of World Dragon, 184
20 Spears, FC, flaming 215
20 Spears, FC 205
10 Archers, m 115
10 Archers, m 115
20 PG, FC, skeinsliver, sorcery 405
5 Eagles 250
5 DP, m 160
5 DP, m 160
5 DP, m 160

I'm looking for games! Its tough to find people with the 8th edition rules right now.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

Haspar

#36 Post by Haspar »

Ive just been lurking here for a few months, but since I probably have as much experience as anyone with 8th edition I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here.

My hobby manager currently has 3 rulebooks in the store for the community to read and play games with in the store (a small and a large customer open copy and his own personal copy), so I've had a chance to read most of the book. I played 3 games with the new rules this week, first against another HE army at 2500, then against Vampire Counts at 2000, and finally against and all Khorne Warriors of Chaos Army at 2000 points.

For my first 2 games I decided to try taking all LSG for my core choices, and I found them underwhelming for their cost. I switched the 2 blocks of 20 LSG that I played in the first two games, for 2 blocks of 25 spears in the third game, and couldn't have been happier with the results. In the first 2 games the LSG barely killed anything with their shooting, certainly not enough to justify 4 points per model. Against the WoC, the spears did great; they slowed down or tied up most of the nasty stuff, and allowed my Phoenix Guard w/ AM and BSB to get into combat with the units they needed to, where they needed to. In both the second 2 games, I used the Phoenix Gaurd w/ Razor Standard and my Lvl 4 AM, and BSB. I'm definitely going to buy another box or 2 of Phoenix Guard, when they get more in at my GW, because they were my MVPs both games. Having lore of life on the Archmage feels like a necessity. Both games I was able to regrowth my Phoenix guard several times, Dwellers Bellow was devastating even against S4, throne of vines seemed to eat up a lot of my opponents dispell dice, and flesh to stone allowed my spearmen to break a Khorne marked Chaos Lord on a Juggernaught. My Dragon Princes did ok, but i felt like they need to have the second rank. White Lions also were just ok, I think I will alternate between using them of Sword Masters, depending on whether I'm playing an army with strong shooting or not.

The biggest thing I've noticed about 8th edition, however, is that people are just having more fun playing fantasy. At least at my store, everyone seems to agree that the magic phase is greatly improved, and everybody likes the new charging system. I'm really excited to get my own copy of the new rulebook next Saturday.
Giladis
The Merlord

#37 Post by Giladis »

Lathaon wrote:
Giladis wrote:A way to wining with HE in this new edition will be to minimize the frontage of units while maintaining good hitting power.
Why? Surely we need a bigger frontage to get more attacks, since we need to kill as much as possible to break steadfast?

Not really. On most occassions we will be outnumbered and the damage enemy can inflict at a wider frontage to use will usually do us in. The goal is to minimize the number of attacks that will be coming our way, while still providing sufficient damage.
Musashi

#38 Post by Musashi »

I don't think the rules allow us to use attacks in depth effectively, or not enough to overcome the new edition's capability of striking from more ranks; it probably does come back down to the amount of effective damage your battleline can deliver per inch, and pre-empt or absorb the answering onslaught.

The narrowed frontage would be more effective if you did it to avoid really devastating opposing characters.
Last edited by Musashi on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Lord Anathir

#39 Post by Lord Anathir »

Haspar wrote:Ive just been lurking here for a few months, but since I probably have as much experience as anyone with 8th edition I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here.

My hobby manager currently has 3 rulebooks in the store for the community to read and play games with in the store (a small and a large customer open copy and his own personal copy), so I've had a chance to read most of the book. I played 3 games with the new rules this week, first against another HE army at 2500, then against Vampire Counts at 2000, and finally against and all Khorne Warriors of Chaos Army at 2000 points.

For my first 2 games I decided to try taking all LSG for my core choices, and I found them underwhelming for their cost. I switched the 2 blocks of 20 LSG that I played in the first two games, for 2 blocks of 25 spears in the third game, and couldn't have been happier with the results. In the first 2 games the LSG barely killed anything with their shooting, certainly not enough to justify 4 points per model. Against the WoC, the spears did great; they slowed down or tied up most of the nasty stuff, and allowed my Phoenix Guard w/ AM and BSB to get into combat with the units they needed to, where they needed to. In both the second 2 games, I used the Phoenix Gaurd w/ Razor Standard and my Lvl 4 AM, and BSB. I'm definitely going to buy another box or 2 of Phoenix Guard, when they get more in at my GW, because they were my MVPs both games. Having lore of life on the Archmage feels like a necessity. Both games I was able to regrowth my Phoenix guard several times, Dwellers Bellow was devastating even against S4, throne of vines seemed to eat up a lot of my opponents dispell dice, and flesh to stone allowed my spearmen to break a Khorne marked Chaos Lord on a Juggernaught. My Dragon Princes did ok, but i felt like they need to have the second rank. White Lions also were just ok, I think I will alternate between using them of Sword Masters, depending on whether I'm playing an army with strong shooting or not.
Thats very interesting in basically identical to what I've discovered so far in my games as well.

HERO

#40 Post by HERO »

I have long foretold the cost effectiveness of LSG not being worth their points compared to Spears.

More games needed for sure regardless.

30x LSG (FC, Banner of Eternal Flame) = 425
20x Spears (FC) = 205

That's what I'm running for core right now for that 25% needed in 2500.

If I was to switch to all spears, it would look like this:

20x Spearmen (FC) = 205
20x Spearmen (FC) = 205
20x Spearmen (FC, Banner of Eternal Flame or War Banner) = 215 + 10

3 blocks of spears is a very solid core. That Banner of Eternal Flame can also go somewhere else for a cheap 10 point banner :)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Lord Anathir

#41 Post by Lord Anathir »

Well I've got the book, awaiting the errata to see other changes. I've been told world dragon and hoeth will be nerfed, which is total bull in my opinion as we pay through the nose for them and have obvious major setbacks.

Foxbat

#42 Post by Foxbat »

Lord Anathir wrote:Well I've got the book, awaiting the errata to see other changes. I've been told world dragon and hoeth will be nerfed, which is total bull in my opinion as we pay through the nose for them and have obvious major setbacks.
Where did you hear that? Your local GW store? Maybe you just ran into some real HE haters and heard wishes.

However, if this is what GW is planning, then I would also expect drastic changes to many other books for instance the Slaan’s disciplines and many of the Lm’s magic items. How about the DE’s, surely they won’t be escaping a good magic item de-toothing. Hey, while they’re at it, they should really delete the DoC’s ability to take multiple gifts and how about making that Great Standard of Sundering toothless, and... While I could go on, I really hope that they simply align the rule of the two truly unique items that the HE have to the new 8th Edition rules and not reduce their effectiveness at all.

My advice, keep your receipt, you can always return the book...

Nothing makes a company sit up and listen faster then getting a lot of physical product returns...
Lord Anathir

#43 Post by Lord Anathir »

We shall see.

On the other hand I won two more games with my above list. Finally getting the better of that chosen deathstar army and a wood elf list. (I've only played vs WE and WoC so far :D)

Foxbat

#44 Post by Foxbat »

Lord Anathir wrote:We shall see.

On the other hand I won two more games with my above list. Finally getting the better of that chosen deathstar army and a wood elf list. (I've only played vs WE and WoC so far :D)
Glad to see that your doing well. I really don't like playing against WE.
Lord Anathir

#45 Post by Lord Anathir »

they're not so bad anymore. they actually play warhammer not a different game. they got very few places to hide, its easier to get them, and their shooting is nerfed because of the terrain. treekin and treemen are issues, but PG tie up a treeman and treekin can get redirected. Besides that DP and spears beat up eveyrthing else they got.