Assassination squat?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Dragon fire

Assassination squat?

#1 Post by Dragon fire »

Hi
Lately I've thought about using some of our flying units as an assassination units/squat. I've thought about three possibilities Eagle mounted noble, 3 eagles in one unit a or frosty.

Eagle noble. He delivers 3 S6 attacks + 2 S4 from the ealge. He pops in at 150 p. with limited gear. He will often be killed on the turn of the charge (or the next) however he is fairly cheap and have a reasonable chance of killing enemy mages.

I have thought about using 2 or 3 eagles in the same unit as an assassination squa.? With MP 3 eagles in a single line will deliver 6 S4 attacks (potentially AP and ASF). These guys will most definitely kill the mage in two turns (if not in one turn) provided that they hold.
Their frontage is so small that only 4 models can hit them so normally this means that you will receive maximum 8 attacks in return. With eagles being T4 and with Stomp I think they would be able to win the combat or only losing slightly.
2 eagels without upgrades comes in at 100 p but if you want to be sure to kill that mage I think you need 3 with ASF popping in at 180 p. I know this is a lot for an assassin, and for only a few points more you could buy a frosty...

The frosty seems to expensive to me furthermore having only 4 attacks that I can direct to the target that I want to kill it's not very reliable.

So have any of you played with or though about the use of flying assassination units?
Eirik

Re: Assassination squat?

#2 Post by Eirik »

I've tried them before, but find them almost completely ineffective. Against so many armies our chances of making the kill are just nil. Ogres, vampires, warriors of chaos, daemons and lizards all have mages that simply aren't going to be killed in a round of combat, probably not even from a well equipped lord on an eagle. Against these foes our character does 2 wounds if he's lucky on the to-hit rolls and the eagle does nothing, and we haven't even talked about armor and wardsaves yet.

Against foes with assassinatable wizards (dark elves, empire, high elves, skaven, tomb kings) you might have some success, though I still give it less than a 50% kill rate on the first round of combat because everyone is taking a 4+ ward these days. For a noble on a eagle you either have to take a lance and become weak after the charge is over or you take a greatweapon and the best you can do for armor is a 3+ (2+ with AoC or silvered steel). I still think you'll just die without accomplishing much often.

I think that the points might better be spent towards a frost phoenix. It can perform the same role of assassination against anything that a noble can assassinate, all while serving several other roles (chaff killer, re-director, infantry support, tarpit).

Edit: As a disclaimer I've only tried this with our previous book, never with our new one. In any case, this build is probably weaker now than it was then because all the key equipment for such a character (AoC, Guardian Phoenix, greatweapon) got nerfed severely.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Larkspire

#3 Post by Larkspire »

I find that lion chariots are good for sniping heroes..and their cheaper than 2 eagles.
The problem with the eagle noble is unit champs issuing challenges that you can't decline.
Dragon fire

#4 Post by Dragon fire »

Larkspire wrote:I find that lion chariots are good for sniping heroes..and their cheaper than 2 eagles.
The problem with the eagle noble is unit champs issuing challenges that you can't decline.
Well spotted with the Noble. Then this is out.

A lion chariot could be an option. The amount of attacks are very nice 4 S5 and 2 S6 attacks which is much better than the eagles can accomplice. However I really would like something flying. Also the chariots movement is too low for my liking. I would like to be able to make the attack in T2 or at the latest T3. And here there could be a problem with a chariot.
Eirik wrote: I think that the points might better be spent towards a frost phoenix. It can perform the same role of assassination against anything that a noble can assassinate, all while serving several other roles (chaff killer, re-director, infantry support, tarpit).
The Frosty is definitely better suited to more versatile play however also more expensive. I'll do some more thinking before I make up my mind. But so far the idea is put on a hold as it doesn't seems to be efficient with assassination squats.
Browncastle

#5 Post by Browncastle »

With Points and reliability, as the biggest factors, Id og for 5 dragonprinces, or 5-6 silverhelms. On the other hand this might be the Perfect job for the flying chariot. Impact hits for combat resolution, and eagle attacks, and crew on mage. If you Mount a bolthrower on it, People might not even see what Your going after
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281[/url]
wamphyri101

#6 Post by wamphyri101 »

Lion chariot with hand of glory works very well. +D3 I/WS means the whole chariot goes 1st and usually hitting the character in 3's

Miasma on the enemy is just as good
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
f00ssa

#7 Post by f00ssa »

I killed a Tz herald with reavers in the last book - they should be able to do the same now.
wamphyri101

#8 Post by wamphyri101 »

so played 3 out of 5 games on my tournament weekend so far.

wont say how im doing yet in case I jinx myself, but round 1 played vs DE and assasinated his shadow lord turn 2 witj a kittycart (lion chariot)
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Galdermester

#9 Post by Galdermester »

Dragon fire wrote:With MP 3 eagles in a single line will deliver 6 S4 attacks (potentially AP and ASF).
The great eagle doesnt have Martial Prowess, so I guess it just will be 4 attacks? :|