Best weapon

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Telabir

Best weapon

#1 Post by Telabir »

hey guys,
Before the new edition came out, a killy prince would be star dragon with star lance and talisman of loec, but with all the new shiny stuff in the new rule book what would you say the best weapon and equipment would be?
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
RE.Lee

Re: Best weapon

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

I think with ASF re-rolling missed hits the star lance is as powerful as ever - even without the talisman of Loec its pretty certain you'll kill those 4 guys on the charge. Giants Blade does pretty much the same thing but longer, which is useful since you fights last longer this ed, the downside is that you're not well protected (only 40p for defense) and wiping out the front rank does not save you from retaliation. Other new magic weapons are nothing special.

I think the White Sword got a lot better, like the Star Lance it doesn't rely on the ToL anymore. The only real change is that great weapons are no longer a no-brainer - halberds, lances, the sword of might are all good choices too.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Kethnae

#3 Post by Kethnae »

RE.Lee wrote:I think the White Sword got a lot better, like the Star Lance it doesn't rely on the ToL anymore. The only real change is that great weapons are no longer a no-brainer - halberds, lances, the sword of might are all good choices too.
Halberds and such might have their place, but the Great Weapon certainly has some mileage left in it (depending somewhat on the resolution of whether or not we get the re-rolls from ASF with higher I after adding a Great Weapon). Thanks to the huge I 8 on a prince, even going in initiative order he'll be striking first a lot. Momentarily ignoring Special Characters, items that grant ASF or raise Initiative I can think of 3 things that will tie a Prince (DE Death Hag, DE Dreadlord, WE Highborn). And 6 that beat one (Skaven and DE Assassins have ASF standard, as do DoC Herald of Slaanesh and Keeper of Secrets. DoC Bloodthirsters and the Skaven Verminlord lack ASF, but they roll in at I 9 and 10 respectively). All of which leaves behind 9 armies that need something special (several of which lack any such options) to be able to strike faster than a basic Prince with a clunky ol' Great Weapon. Food for thought. ;)
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

You still miss out on the to hit re-rolls, which is the one of the biggest boosts we got this edition IMO ;)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Ulanth

#5 Post by Ulanth »

I posted on that in the rules section, my interpratation based off the wording is that we get to keep the always strike first because it states HE get always strike first regardless of weapon used....so asf great weapons for HE...maybe....
Telabir

#6 Post by Telabir »

GW still get to ASF just read the errata :D
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
Jin

#7 Post by Jin »

Anyone notice how halberds are completely worthless to get for Heroes now (barring trying to shave off a point or two from your list)?
[i]If I had a reason for everything I did, I'd be crazy[/i]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, GW went from being a no-brainer to being even more of a no-brainer!

:)
Eärendil

#9 Post by Eärendil »

too bad we can't convince our phoenix guard units to start using great weapons
army blog: http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25300
Jin

#10 Post by Jin »

It's a shame that we're stuck with the 10 point Enchanted Shield at the moment.

Does _any_ armybook get the price drop for that item?
Voodoomaster
High Cartographer

#11 Post by Voodoomaster »

Jin wrote:It's a shame that we're stuck with the 10 point Enchanted Shield at the moment.

Does _any_ armybook get the price drop for that item?
dark elves have it at 15pts.
and right now the GW is the only weapon people should consider on characters, especially now that the -1S modifier for being mounted has gone.
[img]http://www.ulthuan.net/archive/images/Lore4.jpg[/img]
[size=117][color=blue]"There are many wonders to the world, one being the world itself" Loremaster Hlaeitryn, High Cartographer to the Phoenix King.[/color]

[color=red]"The Slaaneshi have their Anointed, Khaine has me" Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine [/color][/size]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

Presumably it's in most of the books at 10pts?

There must be very few that can take the book price of 5pts.
Jin

#13 Post by Jin »

Well, I only bring it up since there was the potential to have:

DP kit + Enchanted Shield + Vambraces of Defence + Ogre Blade (or whatever gave +2S) which would provide a 1+ re-rollable/4+ Ward with constant S6 attacks.
Kethnae

#14 Post by Kethnae »

SpellArcher wrote:Presumably it's in most of the books at 10pts?

There must be very few that can take the book price of 5pts.
To my knowledge there is just one. Ogres, who have only now been given the option of the Enchanted Shield.