Eagles

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andrew_uk

Eagles

#1 Post by Andrew_uk »

I'm wonderring does anyone know if eagles (as a type of moster) qualify for this new stomp special rule? It may make them the new rare unit of choice in 8ed
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Dreadlord Blooay

Re: Eagles

#2 Post by Dreadlord Blooay »

Eh, not really, because you see, the eagle can do its job just as good in 8th ed (as far as I know) as in 7th ed. Warmachine hunting, march blocking, redirecting and so on. The new stomp rule will not really help it, unless you suddenly find it capable of killing a lone mage.
th0r

#3 Post by th0r »

I believe the eagle gets one additional stomp attack, which will mean it might actually win combat versus fast cavalry and warmachine crews. I don't think I will be taking more then usual though.
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/th0r3389/High%20Elves%20Painting%20Log/guard.jpg[/img]
Minsc

#4 Post by Minsc »

Eh, not really, because you see, the eagle can do its job just as good in 8th ed (as far as I know) as in 7th ed. Warmachine hunting, march blocking, redirecting and so on. The new stomp rule will not really help it, unless you suddenly find it capable of killing a lone mage.
You do realize that the rules for march-blocking gets changed in 8th Ed. right?
Taking a Eagle for the sole purpose of march-blocking will be a waste of points.
Kovalev

#5 Post by Kovalev »

In 8th ed now,

If an enemy unit is within 8'' of your unit at the beginning of your turn, you can make a Ld test in order to be able to march. (I read a portion of the book at my local GW store last week).

Also great eagle do get the stomp attack (1) as it is written in its entry in the rulebook.

K.
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

Can still re-direct to a certain degree. It'll probably die. And it can war machine hunt. So it's not a waste of points. It's just it not as effective.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
dabber
Tactician

#7 Post by dabber »

Is the Eagle's ability to redirect/block a charge changed by 8th edition? How does fleeing and Enemy in the Way (or "Redirecting") work? Does a charging enemy still line up on the Eagle, or does the Eagle now line up on them?
Ozymandias

#8 Post by Ozymandias »

I reckon eagles just aren't worth it in the new rules as flyers only move 10", you can pass a Ld test to avoid march blocking and if someone does try to redirect you can now pass a Ld test to change the target of the charge.

So eagles will rarely redirect/march block successfully and fast cav will get to war machines much much quicker with their free 12" move before first turn and potential 9" plus best 2 of 3d6 charge range (i.e: 11" to 21"). Even if there's difficult terrain in the way you can still move at full speed (though you roll a dice per model and it dies on a 1!).

So reavers could be shooting at half range before an eagle is even remotely close enough to charge.
As an option for harassing the enemy I don't think eagles are worth the cost of a couple of reavers and change.
Kovalev

#9 Post by Kovalev »

Flyers can make a march move, even over interposing terrain. So they can effectively move 20" per turn.

Chargers line up on the charged unit (unless, after contact, it is physically impossible due to interposing terrain or other units). So putting your GE in an angle right in front of an enemy unit still works if your GE declares a hold reaction. If it declares a flee, then the enemy unit may make a Ld test to change its charging target...

GEs are still worth it in my opinion. They did gain an attack (stomp) and can still be used pretty much the same way war machine hunting, marchblocking (now that a LD test to avoid march blocking is a universal rule) and blocking/angling

K.

P.S. a think I read somewhere in the new BRB that now units MUST remain at least 1" away from any units (yes, friend or foe) unless it charges...
Foxbat

#10 Post by Foxbat »

I think they will have some role in completing a screen and blitz action against war machines. On the turn before they charge a war machine, they provide a missile screen for valuable units. Recall that as long as at least half of the unit is behind another unit(s), then it's -2 to hit. Sure your opponent can shoot them, but better than your combat unit that is now in a position to charge next turn.
Lord Anathir

#11 Post by Lord Anathir »

its like 6th edition in terms of redirecting. Your eagle can`t flee if you have other units in range he can charge. If you intend to keep your eagle there remember he can free reform any way after he kills it. Its not a complete waste as it does give you 2 free rounds of combat if you charged into something beside the redirected unit.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
pk-ng

#12 Post by pk-ng »

Ozymandias wrote:I reckon eagles just aren't worth it in the new rules as flyers only move 10", you can pass a Ld test to avoid march blocking and if someone does try to redirect you can now pass a Ld test to change the target of the charge.

So eagles will rarely redirect/march block successfully and fast cav will get to war machines much much quicker with their free 12" move before first turn and potential 9" plus best 2 of 3d6 charge range (i.e: 11" to 21"). Even if there's difficult terrain in the way you can still move at full speed (though you roll a dice per model and it dies on a 1!).

So reavers could be shooting at half range before an eagle is even remotely close enough to charge.
As an option for harassing the enemy I don't think eagles are worth the cost of a couple of reavers and change.
If i'm not mistaken if you use you free march move you can't charge on the first turn.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support