Very Interesting and Terrifying Dilemma

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Arcsheild

Very Interesting and Terrifying Dilemma

#1 Post by Arcsheild »

Hello to all of you,

I am in a Mighty Empires campaign, and I will soon be playing my friend who has Vampire Counts. He has acquired an 'Elite Army' status for this round, which means he doesn't have a limit on Special and Rare choices. The Game is 2000 pts, no special characters, pitched battle.

My question is this; has anyone ever played this type of game before, and, if so/if not so, do you have any advice, warnings, precautions, and handy pieces of advice to give me? The main thing I'm truly terrified of is facing about 8 Black Coaches, Units of Blood knights, or 10 Vargulfs. Not really knowing what to do, I've opted to put an Archmage and mage on eagles with silver wand and seer staff for some bombings of the D6 St 6 hits to all undead in 12'', scroll caddy, 2x Archers, battle standard bearer, 2x dragon princes (immune to fear), and 2 Lion Chariots.

Thoughts, opinions, and general queries. The board is open for discussion!
[i]'Though the darkness grows stronger each day, we still shall fight it, with hope that it will sometime fade. For hope is our shield against our unimaginable foe, and for as long as we live, our hope will never die...'[/i]
pk-ng

Re: Very Interesting and Terrifying Dilemma

#2 Post by pk-ng »

Haven't played with this style but have played against VC.

AM + Seerstaff is a good choice. One of them should go High magic to cast drain magic so it's that much harder for them to raise up or move. If he goes large unit of Black/Blood knights then it's probably best to go Metal on AM (for Spirit of the forge) + High. If he doesn't Light + High is not a bad choice. High + High can be a good choice also. You can spam Fury of Khaine + Drain Magic or some Curse of Arrow Attraction.

Unit wise i suggest the following

14 SM, FC, SoB or LS with ToL or AoL- Since VC has no shooting your SMs will carve up any of their infantry and should smash them pretty fast with lots of wounds + combat res.

6 DP, Champ + Stand, BoE or LS with AoL or HoF AND BSB with Battle Banner - Charge in with you DPs make sure you BSB is at the end to minimise hits against your BSB (as he's the most important). Once you hit a unit you have anyway from 13 - 14 DPs attacks + 6 Horses varying S5 - S6. Most of the time hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s with either no AS or 6+. For combat res you have kills (should be about 8ish) + SB + BSB + BB. Should be able to pop most units that are 15 or less maybe even 20 if you lucky with you BB.

3 RBT + 1 GE + 5 ER (Swap for Bows) - more shooting power to take out some of the nasties some marching blocking and re-directing.

Remember VCs are vulnerable to combat res if you can generate enough you can kill him very easily. When shooting concencrate you fire on one unit to a) kill it complete or b) reduce their numbers so you CC troops will smash through them. If your fighting a very hard to kill combat lord ignore him and just gun his troops and kill them via combat res (always worked for me).
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Musashi

#3 Post by Musashi »

If he's overconfident, you could try the basic tactic of taking out one flank fast, though it's likely that results may go either way; if there's some strategic reason to ensure the integrity of your force or if you don't want to gamble, try to arrange the terrain into killing zones, where you can just concentrate your fire power and/or elite forces, and this bottleneck prevents him from flanking you (at least immediately).

Remember, if he's got expensive models, you win if you can kill off more of those than he can of yours.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

I'd watch out for Wraithspam.

Plenty of magical attacks could be an idea.
Bolt Thrower

#5 Post by Bolt Thrower »

SpellArcher wrote:I'd watch out for Wraithspam.

Plenty of magical attacks could be an idea.
Agree here. Put that amulet of light on some sword masters and target wraiths if they're on the table.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
sneakyhighelfgit

#6 Post by sneakyhighelfgit »

In the last Mighty Empires campain I played, the O&G kept choosing Elite Army and fielded an obscene amount of rock lobbers and bolt throwers.
So I kept picking diplomacy, then it became somone elses problem :D

As it's too late for that I would recomend magic and shooty heavy. With High magic, ring of corin and vauls unmaking should blunt the teeth of his special selection. Destroying his banners and wepons sure do stop alot of V.C combos.

Vortex shard use on turn three should also buy a bit of time too, and make him cry.
No plan survives contact with the dice.
Arcsheild

#7 Post by Arcsheild »

Thanks for the posts guys, has been very very helpful. I'll be versing him today, post you guys back when I'm (hopefully) done wooping his elite butt :P
[i]'Though the darkness grows stronger each day, we still shall fight it, with hope that it will sometime fade. For hope is our shield against our unimaginable foe, and for as long as we live, our hope will never die...'[/i]
Arcsheild

#8 Post by Arcsheild »

Kicked every-thing's ass. Got 2400 VP's in the 2000 Pt match. Basically killed his lord on a hellsteed with a F**K load of magic on turn two, and raped his three Vargulfs, Cairn wraiths, Grave guard and zombies from then on. Thanks for the advice guys!
sneakyhighelfgit

#9 Post by sneakyhighelfgit »

Well done Arcshield =D>
What did you take in the end?
No plan survives contact with the dice.