Sate my boredom and pick my mind.

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

geoguswrek

Sate my boredom and pick my mind.

#1 Post by geoguswrek »

Ok, i'm very bored. If anyone has any requests for anything tactics wise, feel free to ask and i'm willing to contribute to the ensuing discussion.

Edit: not intended in quite as bigheaded a way as it sounds.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Bolt Thrower

Re: Sate my boredom and pick my mind.

#2 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Feel bad for you, man. But don't really have a tactics question burning. Hmm...

In a 3000 point game (considering 8th edition 25% min core) what would you field for core and how? I'm thinking 60 LSG in 3 blocks of 20.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
geoguswrek

#3 Post by geoguswrek »

let me see...
assuming i have to have 25% core, thats 750 points. (yes i did use a calculator..)

So i'd take 2x20 lsg, shields, banner, muso and 19 spears, banner, and throw a warbanner on one unit.
Comes in conveniently at 751 points (though i might ship the extra 9 for the 20th spearman at the end of the list), gives me three bannered up core for objective grabbing, none of which are going anywhere too quick and gives me one unit that i actually will walk across the table, meaning i can get objectives in my opponent's half of the table (wheras with the LSG i'd use them to shoot for several turns and then miss out on some objectives). I think at least 1 unit of spears is a good idea, maybe 2 units of spears, 2 of archers all with banners, gives you the same shooting but in seperate baskets.
Depends if there are killpoints.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Tethlis

#4 Post by Tethlis »

Makes sense.

Hmmmm... Let's see.

Chariots versus cavalry in the new edition. Dragon Princes with Banner of Ellyrion or Sorcery are pretty standard in virtually every list, but their inability to bust ranks in that configuration will be a big drawback. Do you envision a place for Dragon Princes in 8th? Will they be fielded in their current 5 to 6-model build, or increased to rank-busting size? Or will those points be better spent on chariots, since chariots have increased survivability and strong synergy with advancing infantry regiments?

Or will both be dropped in favor of a third option?

I've got my own opinions, but I'd be curious to hear yours.
Warden of Tor Galadh
WarpPhoenix

#5 Post by WarpPhoenix »

So im looking at a continous problem in my frontline defence, I cant seem to block off the routes of vantage that my opponents seem to find. Maybe im playing against people that are just plain better than me? The problem is probably a lot more simple though, im sure im missing something.

I think this can explain my problem. I didnt go first in this game, as is the usual practice.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Pash

#6 Post by Pash »

I was just thinking, are LSG really going to be THAT good in 8th Ed? I mean, they get some shots at some distance but they ARE 13pts each and die just as easily as Speamen.. :?
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
Tethlis

#7 Post by Tethlis »

Geoguswrek better get busy. The strategic queuries are starting to pile up :D .
Warden of Tor Galadh
geoguswrek

#8 Post by geoguswrek »

Tethlis wrote:Makes sense.

Hmmmm... Let's see.

Chariots versus cavalry in the new edition. Dragon Princes with Banner of Ellyrion or Sorcery are pretty standard in virtually every list, but their inability to bust ranks in that configuration will be a big drawback. Do you envision a place for Dragon Princes in 8th? Will they be fielded in their current 5 to 6-model build, or increased to rank-busting size? Or will those points be better spent on chariots, since chariots have increased survivability and strong synergy with advancing infantry regiments?

Or will both be dropped in favor of a third option?

I've got my own opinions, but I'd be curious to hear yours.
I don't know that it is the rank busting that is such a big deal we have a lot of units good at busting up ranked infantry (swordmasters and ,to a lesser degree, spears), i use my DP for hunting shooters, killing small units and keeping characters away. The loss of marching will hurt that option a lot, so i have afeeling i'll be going to some combination of Reavers, shadow warriors and silverhelms (if they can march without the heavy armour).

Warphoenix: if the diagram is some sort of analogy then i can be of some use. I'm not very good at chess so i'm not of much help on that front.

On a warhammer front i find it helps to put yourself in your opponent's shoes, don't think what you want him to do, but what he wants to do. For example he'll want to expose the flanks of your large units, and you have to be aware of positions he'll put his units in to do this, use your own fast elements to keep them out of these positions.
Oh and have a few trouble shooters to go get in the way if you do make a mistake.

Pash: i'm not sure to be honest, i haven't had any test games yet, but i think they'll be worth it, you aren't going to want more than 2 units of spears at 2000 points afterall, and i'm thinking its worth giving bows to the spearmen rather than buying archers (if there are killpoint games)

Edit: if you keep posting when i'm trying to send my response, it won't go through.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

WarpPhoenix wrote:I think this can explain my problem
I thought this was a composition! Pawn still on D2 is pretty unusual...
WarpPhoenix

#10 Post by WarpPhoenix »

haha just taking the piss georgus ;p
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Aethyr

#11 Post by Aethyr »

Heavy cav can march geo, the rumor was debunked. I can see white lions taking a greater role in the field now as a more reliable monster hunter, do you forsee the same thing? Phoenix guard also seem fantastic.
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]