how do you beat orks n goblins

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

fabiankj

how do you beat orks n goblins

#1 Post by fabiankj »

i hav a game comin up, pplz need some tactica.
Dreadlord Blooay

Re: how do you beat orks n goblins

#2 Post by Dreadlord Blooay »

I doubt many will give you the full run through of tactics just because of one single battle, however one could give you some advice they had picked up:

Rares. While you could go all out war and say, 4 bolt throwers, more panic tests for fragile ld orcsies. However, they can get a lot of warmachines and that will easily hurt a small High elf army. I have found that going 2 eagles and 2 bolt throwers, which will give you a strong anti warmachine phase, along with a good shooting phase if you got some archers. Concentrate on main units, one by one, to force ld tests on them. Panic checks is way more important than just causing some deaths. Spearmen is a fair choice against goblins, but against orc's t 4 could be a tough bet, even if you have 21 attacks against him, at 3+ and 5+. Either way, a good block is always fearsome for orcsies.

Swordmasters will pummel them, so their more favorable than phoenix guard. A dragon will roast em, since both terror and just such a big bad monster will surely pummel em. Basically, watch out for heavy shooting, even against this army plus fanatic spam, and you should be fine. Both eagles and reavers are good to lure out fanatics.
WarpPhoenix

#3 Post by WarpPhoenix »

If they roll a lot of 1's then a soft breeze. If they roll a lot of 6s then you'll need a moderate breeze.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
calmacil

#4 Post by calmacil »

It's a tricky one, O&G's are surprisingly difficult for the High Elves. I have an O&G army and i've only lost against HE's once. I've never played against O&G with High Elves though.

If he knows what he's doing he'll take 4 orc boar chariots and 4 pump wagons, then loads of magic, and lots of orc boyz, sav orcs and some NG's behind them. Best advice i can give is try not to take MSU's (multiple small units) such as swordmasters. All those impact hits will be a problem for them.

Your best solution is to try and flank charge with dragon princes. To counter this he could use fanatic anti-charge tactics. So I'd take an eagle to draw out fanatics first, before you charge in on a later turn. A few RBT's to try and get rid of some of those T5 chariots. Then chariots to out-charge the pump wagons.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#5 Post by Seredain »

A few tips:

No.1 target are their chariots: take them out with repeater bolt throwers and magic and you'll be laughing with ASF.

Use terrain: orc and goblin armies tend to be large, so deploy in, around and between terrain and you'll force them to bottleneck and get in each other's way.

Focus on their support units - orc blocks shouldn't present you with any problems by themselves.

Draw out fanatics early with eagles and other small/cheap units: don't let them hit your elites.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Act of God

#6 Post by Act of God »

Seredain wrote:A few tips:

No.1 target are their chariots: take them out with repeater bolt throwers and magic and you'll be laughing with ASF.

Use terrain: orc and goblin armies tend to be large, so deploy in, around and between terrain and you'll force them to bottleneck and get in each other's way.

Focus on their support units - orc blocks shouldn't present you with any problems by themselves.

Draw out fanatics early with eagles and other small/cheap units: don't let them hit your elites.
I agree for the most part with what's been said, but remember orc blocks with characters can be a problem though, 5 points static combat res, even if you kill the front rank, a champion and character hit back with a minimum of s5 in the first round of combat 2 s5 from the champion, 5 s5 or 4 s6 for a Savage Hero with 2nd choppa or GW respectively, from just those 2 should kill enough to break most units. Besides, odds are, with T4 and a 4+ save many units won't kill the entire front rank.
Another warning, greenskin magic can be deadly, don't underestimate the power of the WAAAGH! (If one or more orc unit of any type is in combat at the start of the OnG player's magic phase, the OnG player gets an extra power dice) Seriously, what to watch out for: Foot of Gork (Cast on any enemy unit on the table, the unit takes d6 s6 hits), 'Eadbutt (Cast on a single enemy model within 24" in line of sight, even a model in a unit can be picked out, as can a character mounted on a monstrous steed or chariot, causes 1 s5 hit, no armour saves allowed), Gork's Warpath (Same as Foot of Gork but after the first unit is stomped roll a dice, on a 1 he steps on one of the caster's own units, opponent chooses which, spell ends, 2-4 spell ends, 5-6 stomps another enemy unit of caster's choosing, then rolls again), Hand of Gork (Cast on one friendly unit within 24", that unit moves 2d6" directly forwards, if it contacts an enemy, counts as a charge, doesnn't need to take any psychology test that would normally be incurred, and an enemy unit charged in this way may only choose hold or flee as a charge reaction), and finally we come to the big nasty "WAAAGH!" (Basically the same as Hand of Gork, but instead of being just one unit, every unbroken friendly unit moves 2d6" directly towards the nearest enemy unit, or 2d6" directly forwards if it can see no enemies, in addition, all friendly units strike first in the next phase of close combat and can re-roll any misses that phase). The rest of the spells are also dangerous to HE but less so than those I've singled out, Gaze of Gork is dangerous against all elves too (18" magic missile, d6 s2 hits, no armour saves allowed).
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#7 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Here you go, found a great tactic. It's the best there is, with, High Elves can't lose!

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=32113
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Minsc

#8 Post by Minsc »

=D>

Baddest and best burn of the century.
Telabir

#9 Post by Telabir »

Ironically enough the main thing you have to fear is the gobbos. Watch out for large quantities of spear chukkas and any night goblin unit. Eagles are great for luring out fanatics and if you can spare the points some shadow warriors can deal with the war machines (providing there's terrain to hide behind). Some of their magic items are good too - and mad to boot- for example for something like twenty five points they get 'amulet of protectyness' that gives them your save! Alright if theyre fighting a mage but just plain horrifying when thier ninety point hero waylays your fully kitted out prince on dragon or Tyrion.

:L Prince_Asuryan you legend
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#10 Post by Silver »

I've yet to be defeated by a high elf player (solo). Lost to a daemon + high elf player in a doubles tournament, but thats beside the point (why hello failed panic and animosity screwing up everything! :D )

Honestly I catch every damn one of you Asur with the same tricks ;D

You stay outside my charge reach by staying within your charge reach - you prepare so that I can't catch you but you will definitely be able to charge me next.

WAAAAAAAAGH.. :D
Then I charge out my characters to block Dragon Princes and other small units, then I charge my units and chariots in.
It works.
It works damn well.

(:

Be careful, Greenskins may be really terrible when it comes to an army - but since there are so many components to it, you need to be ready for literally, any situation possible.
Kalandros Shadowsun
Allerion
Librarian

#11 Post by Allerion »

well silver, all id have to do is to not let you get within my charge range. or not charge. or run away.

simple as that

:lol:
Excited for TOW