Battle Standard Bearer Questions

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

eron12

Battle Standard Bearer Questions

#1 Post by eron12 »

Hey everyone, had three questions about BSBS I wanted to pick your brains abouts.

1. At what point level do you start taking a BSB?

2. Do use a BSB on foot or mounted?

3. Do you take a magical banner and no items, or items and a regular banner?

Thanks
wamphyri101

Re: Battle Standard Bearer Questions

#2 Post by wamphyri101 »

1: I usually take one in games above 1500. Depends if you want him as a hammer win with a combat unit (for the extra +1 for bsb and whatever you equip him with)

2: I use mine mounted. He is alot of points dead (+100 in most games for the bsb, + his points) Expecially if you give him a magic banner

3: I go items. I dont like the battle banner fluff wise (plus I would always roll a bloody 1 like i do chariots)
My bsb hangs with my white lions or dragon princes. I have started to use the following set up:

High Elf Noble
Dragon Armour, Helm of Fortune, Sword of might, Gem of courage, shield, Battle Standard, Barded Elven Steed: 184pts
1+ rerollable armour, str 5 attacks and 1 test with 3d6 (picking best 2)

He has only died Once so far (got sandwiched by daemonettes and fleshhounds. unit died but he rolled double 1. next turn they couldnt wound him but out numbered by fear causers he wet bye bye)
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

1. I only play 2000/2250 and always take one.

2. On foot as he hangs with the Spears and I prefer the look. The GW is a compensation.

3. Items. I take Radiant Gem to back up my Mage. I have to be cautious with him due to lack of protection but he works pretty well.
Angel

#4 Post by Angel »

"1. At what point level do you start taking a BSB?"
At about 1500 points.

"2. Do use a BSB on foot or mounted?"
On foot

"3. Do you take a magical banner and no items, or items and a regular banner?"
I take Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix and a Great Weapon most of the time.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
musashi1

#5 Post by musashi1 »

1/ Depends on the army build, but id say 1000pts upwards...

2/depends again on army build, if you want him in a unit of DPs then yeah, on a horsey. mounted is a nice way to get a good save aswell. dragon armour, barded steed and sheild (enchanted sheild if no magic banner) gives a nice 2+(1+ with enchanted) freeing up AoC for a foot model. Remeber as well that you can still put mounted models in an infantry unit...

3/i generally take non magical, but i used to take bsb with battle banner in a chariot....
WarpPhoenix

#6 Post by WarpPhoenix »

I dont take a BSB based on point limits, I usually take a BSB when I have another unit that would benefit from having the BSB around or I just need an extra combat kick because I have spent too many points in other areas. For instance, if you have a unit of white lions that is more than 10 models then a BSB is a sound investment.

I always use my BSB mounted for the free armour save and speed boost.

I go with two different set ups, the first is a normal BSB and the items will be a Helm of Fortune and another item, depending on your taste it could be a sword of might if you're lacking in other magic attacks or a guardian phoenix if you think he's going to be running around on his own a lot. The other set up is to just have battle banner.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Musashi

#7 Post by Musashi »

This is only an issue in medium sized games, and depending on your general strategy.

You don't need a boost to the frontline and running away or losing individual combats is not really important in the larger scheme of things, or perhaps not an issue as you plan to have overwhelming force at the point of contact.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Foxbat

#8 Post by Foxbat »

1. At what point level do you start taking a BSB?
I start to consider taking one at 1000 pts, but almost always at 1500 pts or more (barring any special composition rules).

2. Do use a BSB on foot or mounted?
I have used both, but it depends on the army style. Right now I prefer to use a BSB on foot as my cavalry units are not my main combat units. Equipment for my BSB on foot is fairly simple, Dragon Armour + Great Weapon.

3. Do you take a magical banner and no items, or items and a regular banner?
I prefer to take the Banner of World Dragon due to the sheer number of annoying magic spells out there.
Alathenar

#9 Post by Alathenar »

My favourite BSB setup is
Barded, DA, Halberd, HoF, GP. (Shield sometimes if i go all out on defence and sacrifice that little extra killing power)

If I know i'm gonna verse undead i usually go with Battle Banner.
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Sashimoto

#10 Post by Sashimoto »

BSB on steed: Helm of fortune, sword of might.
BSB on foot: great weapon, armour of Caledor, amulet of light.

Try both of this types and choose what is better suits you.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

another question relating to this: would you guys take a BSB when facing fear causing armies (VC, TK etc)? The rerols don't realy do very much when you auto-break from fear. Although I do agree that the battle banner is golden with all the crumbling.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
dabber
Tactician

#12 Post by dabber »

rdghuizing wrote:another question relating to this: would you guys take a BSB when facing fear causing armies (VC, TK etc)?
Two terror protection banners and a unit of PG mean nothing of significance is facing autobreak. Fear preventing charges and Terror causing support to flee is still a huge problem, but autobreak should only come up rarely.