Dealing with the Cauldron of Blood

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Dealing with the Cauldron of Blood

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

How?
Minsc

Re: Dealing with the Cauldron of Blood

#2 Post by Minsc »

Unless the unlikely event that the Hags have ASF, I'd say ram them with a championless unit of Dragonprinces/Swordsmasters/White Lions/Phoenix Guard, or even spears.

No champions to prevent challenges, then just poke holes in those bloody t3 4+ ward beauties.
dabber
Tactician

#3 Post by dabber »

Not Phoenix Guard. Not enough attacks to kill them.

Generally the easiest is to charge the Cauldron with Dragon Princes (no champ). That doesn't always work, because of the damn ward save, but statistically it should work. Of course, the last time I tried it, they saved every wound I inflicted, and I failed 3 armour saves in return.
Swordmasters or spears can work as well, but obviously have less mobility to get there.

Do NOT try to shoot or magic the damn thing. They take 1/6 damage from range, which is pointless.
lathian

#4 Post by lathian »

I usually ignore them, and shoot to death any unit that would get some significant bite out of its buffs. Without a good unit to heave bonuses on, the cauldron isn't really all that impressive.

The killing blow on weak throw away units can be annoying at times though.
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks guys.

Yes I'm not sure my infantry blocks will be going anywhere near Khainite units with this baby present. Maybe something faster round the back, if I can avoid it getting shot to death.

What about a chariot charge?
geoguswrek

#6 Post by geoguswrek »

distributed like shooting, chariots are out.

Mini character charges aren't bad. A guy on an eagle should kill it in three rounds and so can at least stop it getting out in the open and really supporting the Dark elf forces.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

geoguswrek wrote:distributed like shooting, chariots are out.
A bit daft when it's not even in contact with the Cauldron but I see what you mean.
Lord Anathir

#8 Post by Lord Anathir »

spearmen. solution to everything. DP are too easily shot.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Elaithnir

#9 Post by Elaithnir »

Eagle character isn't a good idea. The Death Hag has S4 so your armour save is 4+ at best. Odds are you won't kill her on the charge, and the volume of attacks back is going to vaporise you. I'd say naked DPs are a good idea. Cheap and nasty, with good odds of taking them out. I've found that the buff the Cauldron provides can be worked around by engaging the unbuffed units... but the Khainite stubborn thing is a bastard. Turns Witch Elves into an anvil of note. Stick in an assassin and hagbrew, and even in the flank with full SCR that unit isn't going anywhere.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

It's a sod because they tend to outshoot us. We have to be proactive but just running blocks at their Cauldron'd-up Khainites is asking for trouble. I guess shooting at their missile troops plus a block advance to distract attention and firepower and then a fast attack in force elsewhere maybe.
Golddigger

#11 Post by Golddigger »

A tank character on horse should be able to slowly take it out...