Ring of Fury vs 2x Power Stones on an AM

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Deroga

Ring of Fury vs 2x Power Stones on an AM

#1 Post by Deroga »

I am going to be running an Archmage list at 2250 in an upcoming tournement but cannot decide on which route to go; Ring of Fury, or 2 power stones :(. My list is as follows...

Archmage lvl 4
Silver Wand
Dispell Scroll x 2
-not sure-

Mage lvl 2
Seerstaff
Power Stone

Noble
GW + DA + Shield
Barded Steed
BSB
Banner of Sorcery

Archers x 10
Archers x 10

White Lions x 17
Full Command
Lion Standard

Sword Masters of Hoeth
Full Command
Standard of Balance
Talisman of Courage

Dragon Princes of Caledor
Full Command
Banner of Elly.
(all attacks by unit are magical item)

Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot

RBTx2
Great Eagle x 2

Id like to think that the 2 x power stones would be better in general. I plan to use them in the first two turns to burn enemy dispel scrolls, but cant help but think that the bound magic missle would be just as effective at wittling down enemy dispel dice over 6 turns :(. Thoughts and opinons?
dabber
Tactician

Re: Ring of Fury vs 2x Power Stones on an AM

#2 Post by dabber »

Your BSB needs a halberd or lance instead of a great weapon. I'd put the Banner of Sorcery on the Dragon Princes and kit the BSB for combat though.

The biggest difference is reliability. The Ring of Fury will not go away, will not miscast, and is not subject to bad spell selection. Power Stones increase the potential for miscasting, and that can be hugely costly. Or if you don't have two very useful spells early, there isn't much to justify the power stone in addition to your base dice.
geoguswrek

#3 Post by geoguswrek »

the ring will often be more useful than the power stone, but sometimes not. I'd check with the tournament organisers that they are allowing you to take multiple power stones, multiple scrolls and another arcane item, as the rule is often read as allowing you multiple scrolls OR multiple stones and an item.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Deroga

#4 Post by Deroga »

dabber wrote:Your BSB needs a halberd or lance instead of a great weapon. I'd put the Banner of Sorcery on the Dragon Princes and kit the BSB for combat though.

The biggest difference is reliability. The Ring of Fury will not go away, will not miscast, and is not subject to bad spell selection. Power Stones increase the potential for miscasting, and that can be hugely costly. Or if you don't have two very useful spells early, there isn't much to justify the power stone in addition to your base dice.

Doh, i meant that he was equiped with a lance, just typed gw for some reason...

I can see your point on the Ring of Fury vs Power stone.
Deroga

#5 Post by Deroga »

geoguswrek wrote:the ring will often be more useful than the power stone, but sometimes not. I'd check with the tournament organisers that they are allowing you to take multiple power stones, multiple scrolls and another arcane item, as the rule is often read as allowing you multiple scrolls OR multiple stones and an item.

Yeah, i had seen this but wasn't entirely sure.