Dragon Price themed lists

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

TheWitcher

Dragon Price themed lists

#1 Post by TheWitcher »

First of all, hello everyone! I’m new to this site, and it made a very good impression on me.
Because I’m a player who likes cavalry, I was thinking about a 2000pts army w/ extremely much DP’s. The army list would look something like this: (or does this belong to armty lists :roll: ?)
CORE
-10 archers
-10 archers

SPECIAL

-6 DP
-6DP
-6DP
-6DP
-6DP
-6DP

RARE

GE
GE
GE
RBT

For now, you have got 1550pts. Of course you need some caddies for magic defense, and maybe a mounted prince w/ ToL for some more impact. The strength of this list should be the ability to move fast, and hit hard.

Ps: Just in case you didn’t notice, I’m not English :wink:.
Sturen

Re: Dragon Price themed lists

#2 Post by Sturen »

That will be intimidating :lol:

I think that for characters I would use a mounted prince, a caddie and a BSB with the battle banner. Add him to a unit of six DPs with command and the helm of fortune on the champ and that unit can take on any non stubborn or unbreakable unit. I'd also swap and eagle for another RBT, the shooting can take the edge of of tough things your DPs would struggle to deal with. Another addition you may want to consider are some elly reavers. Put your Mage on a horse and he can gallop around and leave if your in trouble. Probably a safer home than the archers.

Anyway, solid list, maybe a bit expensive to buy all those metal cav models though :)
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Baerion

#3 Post by Baerion »

That would be an extremely fun list to run I would think. I agree with bringing another RBT instead of the 3 eagles. I think two should be enough to get the job done.

Not sure if you make it to many tournaments, but I do know that DP's are comped pretty hard so having an entire army of them could be a big hit.

And as Sturen said - that would be a very expensive army to build unless you use all SH's :)
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
Fwum

#4 Post by Fwum »

Wow, thats a lot of cavalry! You're not a Bretonnian in disguise, are you? 8)

Well, dragon princes are great, but I would throw in another unit or two for the sake of variety or at least your wallet. Or you better become very good at converting silver helms...
A chariot or two would make a great addition and still be part of the lists mobility theme. You might also want at least a regiment of elite infantry to deal with anything the knights won't break on the charge, like sword masters.
Citizen Militia

#5 Post by Citizen Militia »

You want to avoid 'rubber lance syndrome' thats where you fail to break your opponent on the turn you charge and end up with your second round strength being pathetic. For this reason I would suggest running at least one unit with a BSB with battle banner in, give the champion helm of fortune and then he can protect your noble by accepting challenges with his 1+ rerollable armour save.

If you want to have a mounted prince to lead them then I suggest Starlance and an enchanted shield.

Either way you will probs not want 6 units of 6, 5 units maybe but 6 as youve set it up leaves space for just 450 points on characters and thats just not enough
since returning to the game after a 5 year break I have had 1 massacre loss, 3 minor losses, 2 draws, 3 minor wins, 3 solid wins, 2 massacres :)
TheWitcher

#6 Post by TheWitcher »

Maybe a list like this?

Core
10 Archers`
10 Archers

Special
15 White Lions
6 DP
6 DP
5 Ellyrian Reavers
Lion Chariot

Rare
Great Eagel
RBT
RBT

Heroes
Korhil (Lion Chariot, general)
Lvl2 (scroll, scroll)

Lords
Prince (Star Lance, DA, Enchanted Shield, Barded steed)

*Mage: 4 DPdices, 2 scrols, drain magic :(
orka

#7 Post by orka »

Your Prince would automatically be your general, as he has the highest leadership.
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Pash

#8 Post by Pash »

I would suggest proxying in some models, see how it plays and see where it lacks. I think it would be very situational (you'd pretty much HAVE to get the charge off) but a very fun list to play. Try it and let us know! :D
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
Jaith

#9 Post by Jaith »

I wrote a list similar to this, the battle banner is a risk if you don't put the BSB in a bigger unit than 6. One wound means you lose look out sir roll, which can be extremely detrimental. Try StarLance/Vambraces Prince, Unkillable BSB, dragonmage caddy and then:

x2 10 Archers,
x4 6 Naked Dp's,
x2 Shadow Warriors,
x2 RBT, x2 Eagles

Shooting will mess this army up bad, so get eagles and shadow warriors. Almost every list i have runs atleast 1 unit of shadow warriors and 2 eagles. You just can't afford you elite elves to get shot up!
Dragon.Prince63

#10 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

I think the point of a mega-heavy DP army would be to have as many DP's as you could fit, so why do people suggest other units? It's a corny list, I admit but if it fits the requirements then why not? Also, a Dragon mage would be a good choice for a general because the DP's are immune to fire. (Burning Head)