Champions.

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Wicksi

Champions.

#1 Post by Wicksi »

Hi all!
I've been wondering if a unit champion (lets say spearmens for example) can choose to fight with HW/shield when the rest of the unit goes spear/shield.

He probably cant but the reason I'm insecure about it is since he in some ways he acually counts as a character in a unit and as far as I know a Noble doesnt have to fight with spear in a spearmen unit ;) And on top of that some champions can have magical weapons would that be totally uselles if they have to fight with the same type of weapon as the unit?

Anyways the question is; can a unit champion fight with a diferent weapon then the rest of the unit?
Pash

Re: Champions.

#2 Post by Pash »

Yes, of course he can. The rest of the unit can fight as it wishes (spear/hand weapon and shield). :)
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
dabber
Tactician

#3 Post by dabber »

Clearly not. Close combat rules on clear on this. All models in the unit must fight with the same equipment. Unit champions are only characters for the purpose of challenges, shooting distribution of damage, and "look out sir"; nothing else.

By the exact letter of the rules, even a unit champion with magical equipment must fight with the same mundane equipment as the rest of his unit, but since that is obviously wrong, everyone ignores that.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

dabber wrote:Clearly not. Close combat rules on clear on this. All models in the unit must fight with the same equipment. Unit champions are only characters for the purpose of challenges, shooting distribution of damage, and "look out sir"; nothing else.

By the exact letter of the rules, even a unit champion with magical equipment must fight with the same mundane equipment as the rest of his unit, but since that is obviously wrong, everyone ignores that.
I agree that they have to fight with the same weapon as all other models. They are not characters, only special RnF troopers. I do however argue that I think that if the champion has a magical weapon then he has to fight with that weapon according to the BRB. IIRC it says in the BRB that if you are equiped with a magical weapon you have to use that weapon. This in my opinion gives an exception to rule that the whole unit fights with the same weapon.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
pk-ng

#5 Post by pk-ng »

only exception is when
a) champion is in a challenge
b) when he's carrying a magical weapon in which he must use

Other then that he has to use the same weapon at the rest of his units
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Wicksi

#6 Post by Wicksi »

So my spearmen champ can choose to go hand wep shield in a challenge ?
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#7 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

In a challenge, not the rest of the time.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
dabber
Tactician

#8 Post by dabber »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:In a challenge, not the rest of the time.
What makes you think that? I see nothing in the challenge rules about equipment choices.
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#9 Post by Silver »

Rules clearly don't allow it.
Logic clearly allows it.

Logic conflicts with Rules.

Rules win.
Kalandros Shadowsun
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#10 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

The champion is part of the unit, and therefore must fight as the unit does. In a challenge he is a separate combatant, and thus may choose - though only in the first round, then he is stuck subsequent rounds. He is also stuck with the weapons the unit used in the first round for challenges in subsequent rounds.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#11 Post by Silver »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:The champion is part of the unit, and therefore must fight as the unit does. In a challenge he is a separate combatant, and thus may choose - though only in the first round, then he is stuck subsequent rounds. He is also stuck with the weapons the unit used in the first round for challenges in subsequent rounds.
Challenges are in no way separate from the combat. No rules support what you're saying.
Kalandros Shadowsun
Keith

#12 Post by Keith »

Silver wrote:
Prince_Asuryan wrote:The champion is part of the unit, and therefore must fight as the unit does. In a challenge he is a separate combatant, and thus may choose - though only in the first round, then he is stuck subsequent rounds. He is also stuck with the weapons the unit used in the first round for challenges in subsequent rounds.
Challenges are in no way separate from the combat. No rules support what you're saying.

Indeed, only characters in a unit can fight differently as they are "units" on their own.
Defender of Ulthuan
Musashi

#13 Post by Musashi »

Consider the Champion a component within a unit that has some independence of action in certain limited instances. He may be singled out and challenged. He may be independently targeted. If he has magic weapons, he must use those in preference to those the rest of the unit would normally be equipped with.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
ilmrik II

#14 Post by ilmrik II »

Silver wrote:Rules clearly don't allow it.
Logic clearly allows it.

Logic conflicts with Rules.

Rules win.
thats pretty much sums it up really,
might be a nice addition for 8th edition (not that I imagine GW being even vaguely aware of this idea )
it makes sense that the champion fights with his weapon of choice, after all being a veteran me will have earned a slight amount of independence.
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/img]