Caradryan

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Wildling04

Caradryan

#1 Post by Wildling04 »

I've never been big on special characters, but as each new book comes out, this guy seems to be getting more useful...He's got a flaming multi-wound weapon at STR 5, which takes care of monsters pretty nicely and anything that comes in with a regen save. Also, he's the Mark, which means anything that killed him is likely dead (Dreadlord with pendant? No saves, right?). He also grants MR 3, which means he is good defense against the consistent ramping up of magic we've seen this edition. His magic items alone are probably worth 175 points. He causes fear, which helps out the unit he is with in regards to gaining immunity to fear and dampening terror.

Anyone use him regularly or have thoughts? He is still expensive, but seems worth it. I think he is an excellent counter to many of the issues that high elves have. I'll probably be fitting him into lists when I can and am allowed named characters.
Siegfried VII

Re: Caradryan

#2 Post by Siegfried VII »

Personally I never use special characters, but Caradryan is very powerfull for his points. He has the flaming d3 wounds halberd that could easily cost about 30 pts, in his death he wreaks havoc to the one responsible, has magic resistance that would cost about 35 pts or so, causes fear AND has a 4+ ward save that easily would cost 45 pts on its own.

I mean what else can you ask from a hero? And 175 pts is not that much at all. I mean a fully equiped hero on foot costs about 150 pts, so 25 more pts is nothing compared to the benefits you'll have.

And truth be told, all the high elven special characters are imo a much better version of a similar normal character suits you can build.
My Art Blog: [url=http://valleysofeternity.blogspot.com/]Valleys of Eternity[/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mageknightbannersmall.jpg/][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4098/mageknightbannersmall.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]
Wildling04

#3 Post by Wildling04 »

I used to have the same reservations about special heroes due to the fact that they are almost always undercosted, but I recently saw an abomination get up in a game after being taken care of and then wiping out a whole army. I think there are plenty of things that are pretty gross out there these days that aren't named characters. It's not necessarily fair any longer to eliminate special characters because they are over powered or broken.
Siegfried VII

#4 Post by Siegfried VII »

Wildling04 wrote:I think there are plenty of things that are pretty gross out there these days that aren't named characters. It's not necessarily fair any longer to eliminate special characters because they are over powered or broken.
Fair point. Though for me the main reason for not using special characters is the fact that I want my characters to be unique and have their own fluff/background. :)
My Art Blog: [url=http://valleysofeternity.blogspot.com/]Valleys of Eternity[/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mageknightbannersmall.jpg/][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4098/mageknightbannersmall.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]
Alathenar

#5 Post by Alathenar »

I've used Caradryan a few times and he made his points back easily when i used him by taking the opponents General or BSB with him when he got struck down. For his price, he makes a good character choice, but the SC tag he has makes people edgy if u take him.
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Atty1988

#6 Post by Atty1988 »

Correct me if im wrong but he only has str 4, it says nowhere that his magic weapon(phoenix blade) counts as halberd or anything about adding str...this made me look to phoneix gaurd to see if they were equipped with phoenix blades not halberds and it was a universal weapon rule but not so.
Phoenix guard clearly have halberds to add their str, but caradryan only has str 4.

IMO not a character i ever take unless i fancy pitting him against a BT or the such in a bunker with my archmage or teclis etc for combat protection.
Im not saying hes not that good just definately not someone i would normally use.
Minsc

#7 Post by Minsc »

Atty1988 - You might want to read the latest HE FAQ.

Caradryans Phoenixblade was Errata:ed into a magical Halberd, and as such he is S5.
Bolt Thrower

#8 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Minsc wrote:Atty1988 - You might want to read the latest HE FAQ.

Caradryans Phoenixblade was Errata:ed into a magical Halberd, and as such he is S5.
They had to FAQ this? On page 71 of the army book under Phoenix Blade it says "This ancient halberd was enchanted for the captain of the Phoenix Guard Kor-Baelan." That was good enough for me! :D
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
WarpPhoenix

#9 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Another example of the GW rules team playing a game of D&D instead of concentrating on rules that people like to pick to pieces and call a halberd a hand weapon >.<
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Atty1988

#10 Post by Atty1988 »

Haha MY BAD!
I havnt looked at the latest FAQ so il head on over now and have a looksie
Thanks for letting me know...maybe more of an option for me now, to hunt those darned EoTG's lol

And its not that i didnt want it to be a halberd its just since it didnt state specifically it was, i didnt want to think of myself as cheating, karma always kicks me in the nuts for any tiny thing i might try to do like that and i always end up losing otherwise i tend to win when i know im playing everything fair and square....with the exception of using teclis lol
pk-ng

#11 Post by pk-ng »

Our hero level SCs are good value. Even Korhil is disgustingly good for his cost. Put Caradryan in a unit of WLs so they have MR3 with a guy that can smack hard. and then put Korhil in a unit of PGs making them stubborn on a ld 9!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Citizen Militia

#12 Post by Citizen Militia »

lol stubborn elite elves wielding halberds? Sounds a bit 'dark' to me
since returning to the game after a 5 year break I have had 1 massacre loss, 3 minor losses, 2 draws, 3 minor wins, 3 solid wins, 2 massacres :)
geoguswrek

#13 Post by geoguswrek »

put korhil in swordmasters and you effectively have eltharion the swordmaster.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Chracian

#14 Post by Chracian »

I've got a question about Caradryan...if I put him in a unit (not PG obviously, that would just be silly) and that unit gets charged, does the enemy have to take a fear test? Or can they say, well I'm going to charge this unit but not fight caradryan, so I don't need to take a fear test?
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Wildling04

#15 Post by Wildling04 »

If they would be in base to base with him, regardless of whether they will attack him, yes, they would need a fear check. If they are charging somewhere where he is not (a flank or rear) or wouldn't be in base with him for some other odd reason, no fear check is needed.
Sulla1111

#16 Post by Sulla1111 »

Bolt Thrower wrote:
Minsc wrote:Atty1988 - You might want to read the latest HE FAQ.

They had to FAQ this? On page 71 of the army book under Phoenix Blade it says "This ancient halberd was enchanted for the captain of the Phoenix Guard Kor-Baelan." That was good enough for me! :D
Yes they really did have to errata it. Magic weapons lose all the qualities of a mundane version of the same unless otherwise noted.
Aethyr

#17 Post by Aethyr »

Were there ever rules for Eltharion on foot?
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
orka

#18 Post by orka »

Yeah, for Eltharion the Blind, he had something with different styles of attack.
There even was a model.
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Wildling04

#19 Post by Wildling04 »

orka wrote:Yeah, for Eltharion the Blind, he had something with different styles of attack.
There even was a model.
I miss him....

I can't remember the differing attack styles, but he also made SM stubborn, took away their 0-1, and could leap around in combat.
geoguswrek

#20 Post by geoguswrek »

one was +2 strength, one was +2 attacks, one was a ward save and there was a fourth one.

its just annoying that his great weapons wasn't a great weapon... otherwise he would have been nails.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127