Er... Silver Helms, anybody?

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Wildling04

Re: Er... Silver Helms, anybody?

#31 Post by Wildling04 »

Griffon Prince wrote:I stand by my Silver boys, they've never let me down. I started using them again about a year and a half ago and while I don't field them in every game, I tend to do better with them than not. I'm a fan of having more boots on the ground than the standard HE list. Helms give me the points I need to take more troops

I won't argue that they're certainly a way to save points, but how much do they really save? 115 vs. 150 is 35 points, 2 elite foot troops or not quite 4 spears? I guess if you are taking multiple units or taking full command you are saving more than that. I find that it usually allows me to squeeze in something that I might not have had otherwise, and it will probably be the way I get a dragonhorn in in future games.
Griffon Prince

#32 Post by Griffon Prince »

Wildling04 wrote:I find that it usually allows me to squeeze in something that I might not have had otherwise, and it will probably be the way I get a dragonhorn in in future games.
Yup, those extra points allow me to take the DH, Skeinsliver, upgrade archers to LSG, or even a few more White Lions to keep the unit around. Of course, with my lists, I use less elite infantry nowadays so I'm not just saving points by using Helms I'm also saving points in several other areas thus giving me the amount of troops I feel are needed.
Larkspire

#33 Post by Larkspire »

I find that my inclination is to outfit the DP w/ FC and maybe even a magic banner,once you garnish them up nicely they factor out to about double the cost of a unit of SH w/ sheilds.
I don't envision the arrogant princes of Ulthuan,stepping onto the feild w/o a full entourage.Nor will they tolerate playing second fiddle to anyone which is why,for fluff reasons I feel compelled to feild more than 1 unit of them.
They are so expensive that if you use 2 or more units,the impulse(to me) is to run them MSU vanilla,which I don't think does them justice.
In the end,The Dragon Princes are Morris Day and the silver helms are Jerome.
Every hero needs a sidekick,when in doubt just reread the script.
Daydream

#34 Post by Daydream »

pk-ng wrote:I've seen this HE gneeral brought in 2x 5 SH and 1x 6 DP for his tourny and came first.
He also had the usual Prince Star Dragon setup.

Bit surprised he had them but goes to show that SH might have some value?
He was saving points. Both units die just as easily and you don't need DPs to take out warmachines. In a very aggressive list they have a place. Point for point they aren't as good as DPs, but sometimes the extra threats are more important than the killing potential of each individual unit.
pk-ng

#35 Post by pk-ng »

True. I dont even bother running DPs with FC its an extra 50 points just for it and thats alot of points unless it's there for carry item or protect my bsb i think vanilla is the way to go. I recently tried SH in a game and definitely ppl fine them a threat. which is understandable...
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Jeroen

#36 Post by Jeroen »

Hmm, i think now, having read all your posts, that maybe a good way to use the Silver Helms is to hunt for archer units. Take just 5, no command whatsoever en use the 2+ armour save to directly go forthe archers lineup without being blown away by them.
Griffon Prince

#37 Post by Griffon Prince »

This just in, apparently there's a rumor that in 8th edition, heavy cav with a 2+ save or better cannot march. If that's true, Helms with no shields will be much more viable than they are now. Centigors and Boar Boyz will also recieve a boost.
Flame of the Asuryan

#38 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

Griffon Prince wrote:This just in, apparently there's a rumor that in 8th edition, heavy cav with a 2+ save or better cannot march. If that's true, Helms with no shields will be much more viable than they are now. Centigors and Boar Boyz will also recieve a boost.
I hope we are getting Ithilmar barding back then, which excepts us from being penalized due to the new armoursave/move restriction :D
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
Trains_Get_Robbed

#39 Post by Trains_Get_Robbed »

I find S.H useful in small point games like 1,000 or 1,250 points as they are roughly around a tenth to a fifth of my army leaving room for much other needed units. 8)