What army do you fear the most playing High Elves?

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

What army do you fear the most playing High Elves?

Bretonnia
2%
Chaos Beastmen/Deamons/Warriors
21%
Dark Elves
32%
Dwarfs
13%
The Empire
No votes
High Elves
No votes
Lizardmen
13%
Ogre Kingdoms
2%
Orcs & Goblins
No votes
Skaven
15%
Tomb Kings / Vampire Counts
2%
Wood Elves
No votes

Total votes: 53

Dreadlord Blooay

Re: What army do you fear the most playing High Elves?

#31 Post by Dreadlord Blooay »

I don't like dark elves, because what we do, they usually do it better. They can charge your spearmen, and they will still beat ya with their beat spearmen. They can outshoot your archers... but we got dragon princes and swordmasters ;) Still, I find them to be the toughest, closely followed up by DoC
gcsmith

#32 Post by gcsmith »

I fear no army, Sure Ive played daemons 3 times and lost 3 times to someone Id say has less skill than me. but... Im learning and have recently won against a DE army with no real moments of.... I'm dooomed. even tho it came down to 2 units. I just thought I had it in the bag, And beaten one of the best players in the stores skaven. He killed 2 models and I killed an army outnumbering me 5-1 at least.
In my opinion there are armies I think are nails and should win if they have a semi skilled opponent and I feel that HE arnt the most competative. But they are more so than Brets, have good models and a good play style.
Fear is also one of the ways daemons and things like VC and DE win games, both in game and between the gamers. If you fear their army for the sake of the army, then you take less calculated risks, Because your thinking too much on what his army can do you forget what your army is capable of and basically unwind and lose the game due to carlessnes. HE magic is insane. And apart from against some armies, dwarfs and chaos included its a nails lore.
lathian

#33 Post by lathian »

Skaven seem pretty irritating to me. Daemons and chaos warriors, then dark elves are my bread and butter for butchering, but I don't play hordes all that often lately, other than orcs who suck. It will take some getting used to.
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
mike newman

#34 Post by mike newman »

how has nobody mentioned lizardmen yet?

to me the hardest army for high elves to face. stegs which do impact hits and we struggle to kill in combat, burning alignment to blitz our units which are usually small on numbers anyway, slann for good magic defence and offence we cant handle, plenty of poison an we wear no armour, same goes for terradon rocks, even basic saurus with spears can deal with most things we can throw at them - for me, by far the hardest army for high elves to face.

as for daemons - i dont think high elves match up against them to badly. the dragon princes/charactors are immune to their main shooting and magic threats as well as the majourity of khorne characters (inc thirster) plus they dont tend to like being shot or hit, something high elves can do effectivly with good shootin/magic (they tend to have little defence) and asf
[url=http://www.golempaintingstudio.co.uk][img]http://www.golempaintingstudio.co.uk/images/gps-leaderboard-3.jpg[/img][/url]
pk-ng

#35 Post by pk-ng »

Lizard can be hard and you gotta play it smart. Most of the time they will have eithe 2+ 3+ 4+ save (and that's for infantry in h-t-h [depending on their equipment].

I find Pit ooooooooh Shades help alot against the lizards as most of them have I of 1 or 2 (not the stinks)

Use your archers (preferably) / RBT to shoot at the terradons as they are US2 with T3 so you should hit on 4s and woud on 4s and they only have AS 6+ so you should kill 1 each phase.

If you intend to frontal charge a block of saurus with spears it's best to shoot at them alot before doing so. If they carry other equipment you should be fine for a frontal charge to kill enough of them.

If going combat try to beat them with a CR of at least 6 thereby forcing them to get snakeeys for break test. Lizards are hard enough to break with cold blood.

I have yet to find a way to kill TGs I just usually march block it can avoid any tips from anyone??
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#36 Post by SpellArcher »

pk-ng wrote:I have yet to find a way to kill TGs I just usually march block it can avoid any tips from anyone??
Swordmasters should grind them shouldn't they?
Aderyn

#37 Post by Aderyn »

usually white lions or swordmasters do the trick against TG's (as long as you have 7man ranks). I dont find them hard at all, BUT i do find fighting saurus in the front hard and fucking stegadons.can't even put it in words how annoying they are. not to mention the slann and engines.
2250p army 2010 results
Massacres: 4
Solid victory: 2
minor losses: 1
Massacred: 1
Sulla1111

Rthe entiree: What army do you fear the most playing High El

#38 Post by Sulla1111 »

I probably dislike WoC and possibly lizards more than Daemons or DE. DE are just a sucky match up but chariots and shooting mess them up sufficiently. Daemons are similarly vulnerable to shooting and magic.

But WoC, the knights are so hard even ASF doesn't dent them and they can wipe out untis of elite in a single phase, trolls who get pumped into super beasts by multiple attacks on them, chariots which can destroy any size unit singlehandedly, not to mention the powerful magic...

Similarly with lizards, engines are hard to deal with. Burning alignment scours away redirectors and march blockers with ease and with no multi wound options except for RBTs makes for predictable and boring battles. Also, saurus spears... kill 5 and still lose 8 in return. These guys are just annoying. As are razordons in cover.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#39 Post by SpellArcher »

Sulla1111 wrote:But WoC, the knights are so hard even ASF doesn't dent them and they can wipe out untis of elite in a single phase, trolls who get pumped into super beasts by multiple attacks on them, chariots which can destroy any size unit singlehandedly, not to mention the powerful magic...
I think Warriors can struggle against light troops. They lack the shooting (or skirmishers or flyers of their own) to clear them away.
Arcsheild

#40 Post by Arcsheild »

For me, Daemons. Possibly because the only Daemon player I know is insane, and beats me all the time with any army. But against daemons, there's almost nothing you can do if the player is reasonably skilled. Siren song should not exist in my opinion. There's nothing you can do against it except modify your entire army to try around it. It is rather satisfying when you kill a greater daemon though :D
[i]'Though the darkness grows stronger each day, we still shall fight it, with hope that it will sometime fade. For hope is our shield against our unimaginable foe, and for as long as we live, our hope will never die...'[/i]
Tribun

#41 Post by Tribun »

Firstly: It's wrong to have DoC, WoC and BoC in one answer, they are different kind of foes.

My top3 would be:

1. Druchii: Hatred, excellent shooting (better than sur), good magic and awesome in hth.
2. Demons: Ward Save, Psychology and hth
3. VC: Strong, but their necromancy is reltive worse against Asur magic.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38091l][b]My Darker Elfs: No love...no mercy...not here...not in [color=#BF0040]Naggarythe[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Tribun82]and click here to see my [color=#FF1493]CMON[/color]-Site[/url]
Keith

#42 Post by Keith »

I don't see how number one can be anything other than deamons. The book is so insanely good. Often you need a few things to happen, either 1) bad player 2) extreme dice rolls 3) purposely toned down list, in order to win.

VC is really not too bad, the item that hurts us the most is the Helm of Commandment. And that can swing the game.
Lizardmen, depending on the particular list can be very difficult to defeat, skinks with poison, teradons, and stegadons in abundance are all difficult to deal with.
Gunlines are tough to deal with in general, so DE/Empire/Dwarf gunlines can all be hard to handle.

Skaven are a myth and not to be truly considered.
Defender of Ulthuan
Wicksi

#43 Post by Wicksi »

I would honestly say High elfs fare pretty well against demons, demons weaknesses is that they have almost no defense (ok 5+ward but overall units tend to have atleast that after str reduce) they have low thoughness 3-4 ish.

And there only shooting is flaming attack, and since your combat characters most likely wear dragon armour they nor there mounts can be hurt by it, same with Dragon princes.

Another huge advantage we have is that we strike first wich is quite a pain for someone who relies on hiting first and we have quite good shooting against something with T3.
GobbladasSquig

#44 Post by GobbladasSquig »

Comp helps against daemons. I think any daemon army without a greater daemon is beatable by high elves in a comped environment. Daemons with BT or KoS can be defeated if your RBTs don't fail you.

My top3:

1. Lizardmen
2. Dark elves
3. VC
Pash

#45 Post by Pash »

I wouldn't say that I fear to face any army in particular but there are some build that have bad match-ups against mine. I think any opponent can be defeated if you know what to expect and have experience against them (even Deamons).

But, if I were pushed I would say that the army I like fighting least is Dwarves. Mainly as I have limited experience with them (only half a dozen games at most) and their shooting is VERY painful for our soft troops. Having said that, I thought the same of Wood Elves in the past and now feel I can deal with them fairly confidently. :)
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!