The use of nullstone

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Wicksi

The use of nullstone

#1 Post by Wicksi »

I've been watching this item quite alot and thought "hmm that cant really be worth it" but then I started to wonder. Magical armour that loose there effect that isnt stated as "heavy armour." or something like that does that become clothing? take dragon armour of aenarion it just says he now has 2+ save and cant be hurt by fire.

Would the nullstone make him completly stripped of armour and be able to take damage from fire? any suggestions :P ?
Aethyr

Re: The use of nullstone

#2 Post by Aethyr »

Actually just had a similar discussion, destroyed a item with vauls unmaking, an armor to be precise, but it didn't say counts as heavy/light etc so we decided it doesn't exist anymore.

On a bird of the same feather, korhils axe doesn't state it's a great weapon, so does he retain his +2 while karted?
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
Flame of the Asuryan

#3 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

Dragon armour of caledor becomes normal dragon armour when using Nullstone.

Your answer is No. Nullstone just neutralizes its magical effect.
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
Wicksi

#4 Post by Wicksi »

okej dragon armour of aenarion was a bad example but armour that doesnt say "count as xx armour" do they simply cease to effekt? Like Aethyr said.

and regarding korhill I think he looses the 2str also but on the other hand he does have a hand weapon in his profile also if I aint mistaken so he should get an extra attack atleast if its destroyed ;)
NoOoDLe

#5 Post by NoOoDLe »

Actually. Unless the piece of armour specifies what kind of armour it actually is.. As in, does the description of rules specify wether it counts as a suit of Light, Heavy, Dragon, Gromril or Full Plate armour. It should completely rid the armour of all its effects, including the armour save. In essence it just became heavy clothing.

This is the R.A.W. version of jinxed armour.

The R.A.I.D.E.N. (Rules As Intended Don't Effin Nitpick) version would more likely be that the Dragon Armour of Aenarion would become regular Dragon Armour. Even though it doesn't say it's Dragon armour in it's rules.

I prefer the latter.. Personally. Even if it favours my opponent at times. It's just silly otherwise. Just like having an Executioners Axe being degraded to a mundane hand weapon or the White Sword being a mundane hand weapon.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
Aethyr

#6 Post by Aethyr »

But great weapons become +1 strength when mounted, Chayel does not mention being a great weapon, thus he should maintain the +2.
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
Wicksi

#7 Post by Wicksi »

AHA thought you ment when you destroyed his axe :P well I would play it as he gets 2+ even on a chariot dont think its suppose to work as a great weapon at all (yet I could be wrong)

another thought occured to me if you facing high elves vs high elves and lets say 2lords are 5inches from eachother both with nullstones. how do they react to the others and suroundings :P ? teknikly they should shut eachother out but if one of them shuts the otheron down thatone shouldnt beable to shut the first one down and so on.

in any case what if there is a magic banner in 5inches of one of the lords but is not in range of the other nullstone does that banner still work since the other nullstone is in range of that nullstone thus makes it worthless?
Musashi

#8 Post by Musashi »

IIRC Grimgor Ironhide's armour evaporates, either temporarily, or permanently (Vaul being unhappy).
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Aethyr

#9 Post by Aethyr »

You knew exactly who i was talking about Musashi!
Musashi

#10 Post by Musashi »

Actually, it happened to me, Grimgor got too close to Teclis, so I cast it on him and sicced Caradryan in his direction; I was very surprised when the O&G player informed me that he didn't have any armour save. Having already been the recipient of a shot from an RBT, Caradryan managed to finish him off on his own.

Or it was Tyrion and no RBT.
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
WarpPhoenix

#11 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Wicksi wrote:AHA thought you ment when you destroyed his axe :P well I would play it as he gets 2+ even on a chariot dont think its suppose to work as a great weapon at all (yet I could be wrong)

another thought occured to me if you facing high elves vs high elves and lets say 2lords are 5inches from eachother both with nullstones. how do they react to the others and suroundings :P ? teknikly they should shut eachother out but if one of them shuts the otheron down thatone shouldnt beable to shut the first one down and so on.

in any case what if there is a magic banner in 5inches of one of the lords but is not in range of the other nullstone does that banner still work since the other nullstone is in range of that nullstone thus makes it worthless?
Black hole, world implodes, paradox created etc etc.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#12 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

I'm not sure if there is a debate about this, but if there is, there shouldn't be.

The rules are very clear.

Null Stone - 'All items loose magical properties. Treat them as mundane items of the appropriate type.'

Thus:
The Dragon Armour of Aenarion becomes Dragon Armour - 'The DDoA follows the normal rules for Dragon Armour'
Chayal becomes a Hand weapon, cos that's what it is. It doesn't have the great weapon rule or anything else. However, Korhil gains +1 attack for an additional hand weapon.

While on the subject of Chayal. When on a chariot, he gains +2 strength, that's it's rules. It doesn't matter if it's LIKE a GW, it's not a GW.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Wicksi

#13 Post by Wicksi »

I've been thinking even more about nullstone, what do people think about a prince on a barded steed lance shield with a nullstone. against some races I think that would be quite awesome against some armies.

Consider this high elves have pretty nice sats compared to quite alot of other races and he is built to be as awesome as he can without any magic items he would probably be able to beat any other lord from races like Dark elves, Empire, Brets, other high elves and probably more lords. He would also make you able to know exacktly what you are up against when you charge a unit (except assasins and fanatics) since there magic standards and such wont work.

It might not be the MOST competative build ever made but I think it would be really fun to play and not worthless at all. imagine the look on someones face when you charge your swordmasters and dragon princes into a unit of ASF black guards imagine the look on his face when you say "oh by the way your banner" anyone tried this :P ? (never played a 2k game with my high elves yet so I obviously hvent tried it myself ;) )
Musashi

#14 Post by Musashi »

Nullstone is a gimmick that shouldn't be used more than every fourth or fifth game.

yellowcommissar

#15 Post by yellowcommissar »

I regularly use the Null Stone. I use a Prince on Star Dragon with dragon armour, shield, lance, and Null Stone. I find it keeps my opponents honest with thier fancy magic items. It has worked great against Chaos with that awful stubborn banner. Works wonders against special characters too. I charged that foo foo chaos lord of slaanash. Null Stone shut down all of his magic items including his armour and ward saves. :twisted:

I bring it every few games, and I bring it against every opponent I play, just to give them something to think about when they are writing an army list to play me.
Semper Fidelis
WarpPhoenix

#16 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Problem is that the most awesome abilities out there are not magical items and thus cant be stopped, you may be having fun against orcs and goblins for a couple weeks then WHAM, you fight daemons and you cant stop ANY of their "items" because they're not magical items, they're gifts, BLAM you fight vampires and Red Fury punches a hole through your prince because its a vamp power, not a magical item, ogres will keep their +1 toughness, etc etc. Im not saying it should, but these are just the drawback of it.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Flame of the Asuryan

#17 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

Well, it is funny against Dark Elves though, whose lords and relies heavily rely on their cheap-ass weapons and armour.

The most funny unit is a unit of 17 Swordies with full command and prince with the Stone :P .
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#18 Post by SpellArcher »

Null Stone Prince needs to watch out for Assassins.
Nyyman

#19 Post by Nyyman »

I was just about to say "But Gifts of Khaine are magical, they don't work", but then I checked the DE book, and look! They are not considered as magical items of any kind (expect for Venom Sword and Twilight Cloack).
So yeah, Assasin with Touch of Death and Rune of Khaine would beat Prince really hard
Aethyr

#20 Post by Aethyr »

With assassins it's all about striking first, and striking hard right? That or super defensive gear and snuffing them like that?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#21 Post by SpellArcher »

Presumably the best save the Prince is likely to have is 2+, if he's mounted. Vambraced Princes are good if the Assassin lacks KB but then no Nullstone of course.

The Prince doesn't have to be in contact, only within 6". Some flying sneakiness etc.. might be possible.
Lord Aenarion

#22 Post by Lord Aenarion »

I played against DE last week, and tried out the nullstone on a prince mounted on a SD. It worked really well :twisted: He had a unit with 14 black guard with banner og hag graef and a supreme sorceress in it first thing I did was to fly within 6 inches of the sorceress so she couldn't cast spells, the next round I charged with my dragon princes and the SD, wiping them out in one go 8)

But you really have to be careful where you place your prince. he can't take much shooting and magic. I got shot at a couple of times by RXBs, but they only hit my prince twice, and failed to wound.

next time I'm playing DE, I'm gonna try him out in a unit of swordmasters, pretty sure that works better :) The only thing that concerns me are those damned assassins!!
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#23 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

SpellArcher wrote:Presumably the best save the Prince is likely to have is 2+, if he's mounted. Vambraced Princes are good if the Assassin lacks KB but then no Nullstone of course.
He can pull of a 1+ re-roll with a ward save, and still leaves him with 35pts for a sword of might or the Talisman of Saphery. Uber-defensive :P
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Stormie

#24 Post by Stormie »

I have a game coming this week using pure Goblins vs High Elves lead by a Prince on Griffon with Nullstone. Not particularly worried about it, just means the guy on top has nothing else worthwhile and a poor armour save...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#25 Post by SpellArcher »

PA I meant what Stormie's saying about the Nullstone Prince.