How much is 'magic heavy' against dwarfs at 2K?

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sinsigel

How much is 'magic heavy' against dwarfs at 2K?

#1 Post by Sinsigel »

I was thinking of this setup

Archmage: Level 4 Upgrade, 2xPower Stone, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury(High Magic)
Mage: Level 2 Upgrade, Power Stone, Seerstaff of Saphery(Lore of Shadow: Unseen Lurker, Pit of Shades)
+)Banner of Sorcery

The rest of the army consists of a hero(Caradryan probably), 10x2 archers, a block of SM, 2 units of reavers, a unit of DPs, 3 RBTs, and eagle.
I was thinking of using one more Lv2 mage, but I was worried it would leave no combat-oriented character in the army. I wonder if this is offensive enough against dwarfs, considering there would be at least one runesmith(although I believe the other character slots are filled with dwarf lord and thane BSB) and some rune of spell-breaking.
Griffon Prince

Re: How much is 'magic heavy' against dwarfs at 2K?

#2 Post by Griffon Prince »

Greetin's
I'd say it's perfectly fine to take that setup against a Dwarf army. It might a wee bit magic heavy though not by much in all honesty. 3 Powerstones might raise an eyebrow but in my opnion, it's not overpowering. I would be alright in facing that army if I played against you.
You'll do just fine with an Archmage and a mage, no need for a third caster. Beef up your list with the points.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Agree with Griffon Prince.

I don't fancy your Lores. The Mage only has one decent chance at his spells and most of High is not great against Dwarfs. Metal's an idea, maybe Shadow on the Archmage.
Sinsigel

#4 Post by Sinsigel »

SpellArcher wrote:most of High is not great against Dwarfs.
Why so? Shield of saphery and curse of arrow attraction are nice supporting spells, while Flames of Phoenix can gradually wear down dwarf unit thanks to its massive number of hits(All units in the unit!) and increasing strength. Vaul's Unmaking is excellent at turning carefully tailored runic items to nothing.

However, I do agree that Lore of Shadow on Archmage is decent. Lv2 mage with lore of heavens using spell giving 4+ ward save vs shooting seems also fine to me.
Foxbat

#5 Post by Foxbat »

I also agree with the comments about your Lore selections.

If your opponent shows up with an AoD, take Metal on both. You are hoping to get Commandment of Brass on both mages, at least one Spirit of the Forge, and Distillation of Molten Silver.
saintjon

#6 Post by saintjon »

Book of Hoeth or Teclis seem like good pics since you can just bypass dwarven magic defense with mass IF casting. metal trumps high against dwarfs, lore of metal also has a spell to nerf magic items that works quite well and I can't recall for sure but it might even be easier to cast than Vaul's
WarpPhoenix

#7 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Its easier to cast, but your opponent can pick which item it is and then its only dead on a 4+ so its not great, its one of the spells thats least useful in the lore. The character snipe is probably worthless against dwarves as most i know take immunity to flaming attacks.

I take that much magic against dwarves and unless they have specifically gone out of their way to max out magic defence then you should have a half decent magic phase. With all the powerstones you'll probably have a single amazing phase and you better hope you dont miscast it up and end the phase before you're done.

obviously you take exactly the same magic I usually do except because you're playing dwarves you've opted to switch all the scrolls for stones, when I play them I usually keep the scrolls in because I like fighting blind. Either way you havnt got enough to push him agaisnt the ropes but you've got enough to make him sit up and take notice.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Lord Anathir

#8 Post by Lord Anathir »

i never had magic do much for me against dwarfs, especially if he takes the anvil
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"