1500 Point lists - The essentials

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

1500 Point lists - The essentials

#1 Post by Jimmy »

Hey Guys

I wish to get users thoughts on 1500 point lists and more importantly in a tournament environment what people think are critical to take.

I've been toying with a few lists and can't come up with a combination that I'm happy with, do we totally ignore magic or take the caddy as usual? Run a BSB?

For core do we take a single unit of archers or a block of spears?

Special choices are always a interesting topic and of course with our rare choices do we take on of each or doubel out on one choice?

I'd be very grateful to hear everyone's opinions and what works and what is horrid.

Cheers!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Musashi

Re: 1500 Point lists - The essentials

#2 Post by Musashi »

Haven't really managed to find a list that can take on all comers without actually going overboard.

The core unit for me is usually Lothern Sea Guard, unless the list is tailored.

For the BSB, I've mounted him on a Tiranoc Chariot, but the results are mixed since I don't equip him with a magic banner. Since at least one Mage is required, he tends to find himself occasionally without a mount, and equipped with the Annulian Crystal, since I am a proponent of magic defence.

One Eagle and one RBT; 5 man Phoenix Guard, FC, Skeinsliver, Banner of Sorcery; fill in Specials as required. Banner of Sorcery only worthwhile if you have at least three spells available.

If you want to really project power, Battle Banner and Dragon Mage.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Alathenar

#3 Post by Alathenar »

For core probly just 10 Archers would be best. I'm not familiar with games under 2k but magic might be hard to get enough of it while still having enough troops on the table. For rare i would say 2 RBT's would be best unless you absolutely need the Eagles, eg if your versing Khorne stuff.
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Flame of the Asuryan

#4 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

At 1500, I play....

Dragon Mage!
a BSB'er on horse
2 units dragon princes
2 units silver helms
2 eagles
1 archer unit

It is so much fun to play!

Like SS says, for tournaments, I would recommend 2 RBT's and either a unit of reavers or shadow warriors as a substitute for eagles...
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
JTFCUP

#5 Post by JTFCUP »

I always take Battle banner in a big DP unit with Standard of Balance suported by 2 tiranoc chariots, reavers and 2 RBT and don`t care about the rest :)

The all chariot army would be a fun to play but i haven`t played it yet.
The Slaughter Now Ensues
Bodies Fall Like Rain
They Valiantly Pursue
Yet Doomed To Remain
At The Double Quick They Charge
The Canister Rips Through Them
To The Mouth Of hell They March
Glory, The Only Gain
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#6 Post by Seredain »

Army 1

Noble- Great Axe, Dragon Armour; Reaver Bow, Talisman of Loec.
Lvl 2 Mage- Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll.

19 Spearelves- Musician, Standard, Lion Banner.

12 Swordmasters- Full Command, Gem of Courage, Banner of Sorcery.
12 White Lions- Full Command, Skeinsliver, Standard of Balance.
5 Silver Helms.
1 Chariot.

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers.

Total= 1495pts.

I use this sort of list as the 1500pt 'core' on which I build my larger armies. Really heavy shooting, solid fear-proof battle line, a couple of more manouvreable units to make up for the lack of eagles. Mage+BoS usually takes High for Arrow Curse, Fury and Drain Magic (DM is really good at these points).

Army 2

Noble- Great Axe, Dragon Armour; Reaver Bow, Talisman of Loec.
Lvl 2 Mage- Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll.

19 Spearelves- Musician, Standard, Banner of Ellyrion.

12 Swordmasters- Full Command, Gem of Courage, Banner of Sorcery.
12 White Lions- Full Command, Skeinsliver, Lion Banner.
5 Dragon Princes.
1 Chariot.

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers.

Total= 1500pts.

Army 2 makes excellent use of cover so can survive a shootout while also being more manouvreable than infantry armies usually allow since 2 of my units can hide in woods. Makes the spears an excellent bunker for the RB noble (they're really hard to shift :)), and allows me Dragon Princes. Less fear protection, but I have a LD9 general... sometimes I think I worry too much about fear in smaller games. Anyway this is the list I've been playing most recently.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Jimmy
Centurion

#7 Post by Jimmy »

Thanks for the input guys so far, keep it coming.

In regards to the dragon mage I think that could be a bit of a one trick pony, whilst I haven't personally used the dragon mage I can certainly see that it would be a huge advantage over many opponents at that points level and also having a terror causer is a plus.

I was always under the impression though that at 1500 point gettings more bodies onto the battle field is the way to go but once again I need to start play testing with some differents lists and draw my own conclusions.

X-wing Blog
Enginseer

#8 Post by Enginseer »

Hi all, it's been a while since I've checked out the site, nice to see it's still going strong.

I've been almost exclusively playing games at 1500 points (mostly due to time constraints).
Here is my high elf list honed after many games vs. vampire counts, daemons and dwarfs. Now that i've worked out how to play with it i've found it to be pretty hard to crack, my winning streak with it is about 5 games.

BSB, GW, HA, Sh, Battle banner

9 x (2 x 5 with BSB) White lions, FC, gem of courage, lion standard
[BSB goes in here.]

7 x 1 swordmasters, amulet of light, standard of balance

mage lvl 2, power stone and seer staff
mage lvl 1, dispell scroll and jewel of the dusk

14 x (3 x 5) spearelves, sentinel and standard bearer (war banner)
1 or 2 mages shelter in here.

Tiranoc chariot x 2

dragon princes x 5

greagle x 2

the lvl 1 mage basically gives me the option of having drain magic if i need it. otherwise he's still quite punchy with the lore of fire. the other mage just takes a lore that suits my opponent.

hope this helps you.
Additional Generic Comment...
Wildling04

#9 Post by Wildling04 »

You pretty much have to emphasize one aspect of your game in this situation, as at 1500 points a balanced list is going to be tough.

I'd go with something like:

2x L2 mages one with seerstaff and scroll, the other with jewel of dusk and scroll
1 noble w/ dragon armor and great weapon

10 archers
5 Shadow Warriors (use them for additional firepower but also a sacrificial unit for redirecting charges)
5 Dragon Princes
Lion Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot
14 White Lions full command w/lion banner and gem of courage.

2x Repeater Bolt Throwers

1499pts

One thing I'd play around with is trying to fit in the standard of balance or sorcery on the white lions instead. This list requires canny use of the mages to keep them safe, but two level twos will be both a potent magic phase and good magic defense if you face an opponent like vamps, who can still have a lot of magic at 1500 (take high magic x2 and throw drain magic twice in each of your magic phases).
Aderyn

#10 Post by Aderyn »

DragonMage L2
-SW
-RoF

Mage L2
-seerstaff

lion chariot
5 DP - banner of sorcery
14 SM - standard of balance, champion had amulet of light
10 spearmen

1 rbt
1eagle

if i remember correctly this is the list i ran in our last 1500p tournament. We used swiss system and i scored 3rd. Never got to play the ones that scored 1st and 2nd tho :/ unfortunly.
2250p army 2010 results
Massacres: 4
Solid victory: 2
minor losses: 1
Massacred: 1
Jimmy
Centurion

#11 Post by Jimmy »

Hey guys

Well I had a 1500 point battle against Bretonnia yesterday and took the following list:

Noble
L2 - Seerstaff, Scroll
L2 -

2 x 10 archers
12 White Lions - FC with Lion Banner
Lion Chariot
5 Dragon Princes

2 x RBT

Very small army, in fact a little too small for my liking, was certainly outnumbered however I managed to pull out a victory as there really wasn't any major points to get away. I took High Lore on the seer staff and picked arrow attraction which really allowed me to chip away at the knights before they hit combat. One silly thing I didn't do was remove the second mage from a unit of archers resulting in his death, a simple oversight which cost me a few points but nothing I can't improve on. I will have another game today against Bretonnians again and possibly Daemons so any suggestions on my list would be appreciated.

X-wing Blog
saintjon

#12 Post by saintjon »

for me at low points I love taking a strong seaguard unit, if I have to take a core choice then I figure it might as well be something good. After that Korhil seems like a nice fit, now your big bad seaguard unit is stubborn and has 3 killing blow str 6 attacks in the front. that should shake out to about 450 points with the lion standard and you can really just build from there. A basic bsb seems like a not bad choice to keep your center from breaking ever (stubborn on ld 9 with a re-roll, cheers) grab some elite infantry to form up around that and some support units and have at 'er.
White_Phoenix

#13 Post by White_Phoenix »

I have very limited experaince, but i can still share :D

Im new to WHFB and went for High elves, me and buddies of mine playing games of 1000-1500 points. What i usually field:

Noble BsB with DP Kit, Magic banner (usually battle banner, since my opponents are more experainced than me and it gives an edge)
Mage level 2 with Ring of Fury and Silver Wand (good magic offense with 1 mage)
Noble on Eagle with Star Lance (i love this guy, kills war machines, great for support flank charges and no rare slot cost for eagle)

2 RBTs (my shooting)

5 Dragon princes (those guys have the BsB)

15 Phoenix Guards with Banner of Sorcery (these guys have the mage), Champ with Amulet of Fire (my friends have magic heavy armies, i found it hard to play without magic res)

15 Spearmen with Banner of Arcane Protection (same reason)

And that's it - tactics are to wipe enemy shooting with my own, and as they advance trim them with magic, and finally face them with my melee units, having my Princes flank charge. i almost always win combat res by double figures, thanks to Battle Banner.

this is rather balanced, fine magic with 3 spells Banner of Sorcery and Ring, powerful shooting with RBTs and still a powerful noble on eagle which your enemies will come to fear, without sacrificing too much of CC phase.
sladie

#14 Post by sladie »

Jimmy, are you building a list for the Ides of March tournament in Brisbane?

Reason being is that if you are, probably best to ensure you keep the tournament limitations in mind, some of which really can limit power gaming.

Best of luck!
Falahk

#15 Post by Falahk »

sladie wrote:Jimmy, are you building a list for the Ides of March tournament in Brisbane?

Reason being is that if you are, probably best to ensure you keep the tournament limitations in mind, some of which really can limit power gaming.

Best of luck!
yeah it would indeed be helpfull to have the tourny restrictions in a link, makes it a lot more easy to mini max after the restrictions

with that being said i would prolly play:

Characters:
Mage
lvl2, Jewel of dusk, dispell scroll
Noble
Battle standard, reaver bow, gem of courage, barded steed, shield, dragon armour, lance

Core:
10 Sea Guards
shields

Special:
14 Swordmasters
full command, amulet of light, standard of ballance
14 Swordmasters
banner, lion standard
2x 5 Silverhelms
shields
Tiranoc Chariot

Rare:
RBT 100
Eagle 50

Total: 1500pts
5 pd
3 dd and one scroll

was almost hard to make a proper list and get all the stuff i wanted, since im used to making 2000pts-2250pts lists, all in all this list is very similar to my normal one, but with a bit less shooting and core, the bsb kit is prolly the most unique thing in this list (compared to what others would use), i usaly play him in a combat inf unit so that they can still run 8" while he shoots, all in all a very flexible character, that provides the re-rolls and acts as better protected mobile RBT
[url=http://swfbr.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=idx]SWFBR[/url]- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Flame of the Asuryan

#16 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

144 Noble Level 1, Great Swiss Knife, Dragon Armour, Radiant gem of Hoeth
185 Mage Level 2, Ring of Fury, Silver Wand //// Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll
190 Noble BSB, Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armour, Shield, Lance, Banner of Sorcery

191 19X Spearmen, Champion, Banner

260 13XWhite Lions, Banner, Champion, Lion Banner, Talisman of Loec
115 5X Silver Helms, Shields
215 6X Dragon Princes, Banner, Ellyrion Banner

100 1X Repeater Bolt Thrower
100 1X Repeater Bolt Thrower

Here is another fun army I played. It is very well-balanced if it suits your style :) . Fit in an Eagle and more spears and musician, instead of 2nd Bolter for the nuance.

6-8 PD
4 DD
Jimmy
Centurion

#17 Post by Jimmy »

Hey guys

I got in another few games last week at 1500 points and I used a dragon mage in one game against Bretonnia and it was fantastic and really impressed me however until I get a few more gaems with it I won't be totally sold on the idea.

The tournament restrictions off the top of my head as I'm at work are something like this:

Can't duplicate special choices
One unit of flyers or flying monster only
Max 7 PD
No more than 40 shots per turn

They were the major restrictions but I will confirm once I get home.

X-wing Blog
sladie

#18 Post by sladie »

Yes, that's the Ides of March Tournament. I'd suggest having an in-depth look at the restrictions as they are pretty full on. I'm trying to formulate a 1500pt list of my own to take to the tournament.
Musashi

#19 Post by Musashi »

At 1500 points, the only duplicate Special choices would have been SM and DP anyway; you still can MSU, just have to be creative with deployment, though.

How many PD is the BoS worth? A Dragon Mage could generate 7PD by himself, if he had the Silverwand. Or is it you are only allowed to utilize 7 PD per turn, it doesn't matter how many you generate?
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Jimmy
Centurion

#20 Post by Jimmy »

Sladie, are you in Brisbane? would love to try and get a game in at some stage if you're keen between now and March.

7 Power dice is max.

That's how I was running the dragon mage with the silver wand for max power dice per turn and it seemed effective although then that doesn't allow me to take eagles which is a pain in the backside.

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#21 Post by Jimmy »

What are people's thoughts on running a dragon mage at this level? All eggs in one basket? It's a lot of points for a unit?

Cheers

X-wing Blog
Flame of the Asuryan

#22 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

Like I posted before, if you want to take him, he'll be the centrepiece of your army.

He is REALLY funny to play with! Be careful with him, dont waste him. Play him if a funny game with devastating potential is what you want :) .

Preferably play him on the flanks.
Musashi

#23 Post by Musashi »

Overkill, but your opponent may have a gunline, in which case, too many eggs in one basket.

Jimmy
Centurion

#24 Post by Jimmy »

That's what I'm beginning to think Mushashi, it would be fantastic against some armies and a complete waste against some others, I might have to go back to the drawing board and see what other lists I can come up with.

X-wing Blog
sladie

#25 Post by sladie »

Jim - The only thing I would say about the Dragon Mage is that it really restricts some of your special choices. Given that it causes fear, it limits your ability to take PG, Lion Chariots etc. I'm not sure what the rest of your list looks like but just keep it in mind.

Chris
saintjon

#26 Post by saintjon »

dragon mage causes terror actually, does that make a difference?
Jimmy
Centurion

#27 Post by Jimmy »

My thoughts exactly sladie.

saintjon - the tournament restricts the amount of fear/terror causers.

Got a game this Friday night so I might have to come up with something else and see how it goes.

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#28 Post by Jimmy »

Had two games against a Beasts of Chaos army in preparation for the tournament, 1500 vs 1850 which was interesting as I've never played against the army and with the points difference I was outnumbered pretty heavily. Great opponent though who completely walked over me in the first game and then the second gave me some pointers which got me some vengeance in the game.

I've tweaked my list to the following:

Noble - Armour of caledor, Guardian phoenix, great weapon
Lv1 - 2 scrolls

19 First Spearelves - FC, Warbanner
10 archers
5 dragon princes - banner of ellyrion, muso
Lion Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot
10 White Lions - FC, Lion Banner
7 swordmasters - Muso

1 x RBT
1 x GE

Hopefully get another game in the coming weeks and will report back with how I go.

Cheers

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#29 Post by Jimmy »

hey guys

Well I managed to have a game on the weekend against a khorne daemon list using the above list and had an absolute great game and pummelled the opponent. Man of the match was a tie in between the spearelves champion sticking the daemon bsb on juggernaut in the eye for the last wound or the tironoc chariot who managed in the second round of combat to strike first on the firestorm blade wielding herald, hit, wound, and get through the 1+ armour save.

I basically anchor a flank, and deploy rather spread out and re-deploy in the first turn making use of the White Lions with any forests partnered up with the dragon princes.

Hopefully have another game coming up in a few weeks so I will report back then.

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#30 Post by Jimmy »

Hey guys

I don't know if I'm talking to myself or not but I'll post anyway. 

I had a decent game against the new Beastmen on Friday night with the above list and managed to scrape in a minor win which was good and I’m really enjoying the list. Most people really underrate the spearelves however when matched against the right opponent with the character support they tend to really hold their own.

X-wing Blog