Reaver Command

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Reaver Command

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

I recently dug four old cavalry models out of my garage and got the urge to do a unit of Reavers. They will be five strong and have full command as I am figure-driven and feel I have to model them this way. Not sure if I will even end up using them but just feel like I have to do them.

So does anyone have experience of using Reavers with command? I know there's a case for a musician and geoguswrek is a fan of standards here I've noticed. Not so sure about the champion. Good thing is you pay 28pts as opposed to 40pts for Silver Helms.

Quite a few tournies here give +100VP only for who captures the most standards, not for each, which makes it a bit less of a risk. Also, is it just me who thinks it's a bit daft that Ellyrian Reavers can't carry the magic standard created for them?
Alathenar

Re: Reaver Command

#2 Post by Alathenar »

SpellArcher wrote:Also, is it just me who thinks it's a bit daft that Ellyrian Reavers can't carry the magic standard created for them?
Adam Troke didn't want them to be overpowered :P
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
geoguswrek

#3 Post by geoguswrek »

I've tried banners in reavers, i think reavers should always have banners.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

How about 'may carry a magic standard up to 15pts'? Not hard is it?

Why always geo?
Musashi

#5 Post by Musashi »

Anything can be house-ruled - but the limit should be at least 25 points.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Lord Anathir

#6 Post by Lord Anathir »

I used 10 with full command and a bsb noble with a star lance/loec once. It wasnt so bad actually. Your opponent cant really corner them, so his only real option is shooting. They struggle in combat a bit, but you have the movement speed to chose targets. The 10 models are only really there for the bodies, no ranks means you just deploy every turn how you see fit. Its the bsb that provides that extra flag and the kills for combat res. They dont have to charge into the flank, they can just move around to face the rear of a battleline/unit and cause problems that way.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Sturen

#7 Post by Sturen »

I used them with full command in a recent last stand battle (in rule book) and they where pretty good. They got round his flank and tied up 2 units of saurus and then rear charged a stegadon. After 3 rounds of combat I ran it down :) +2 rear +1 standard and as I was frontage 1 it could only deal 1 wound back it had a chief aswell :P

So overall it works but you have to use it, don't take standard unless like me you rearcharge a monster (hydras?) and use the standards combat res.
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
pk-ng

#8 Post by pk-ng »

Sturen wrote:I used them with full command in a recent last stand battle (in rule book) and they where pretty good. They got round his flank and tied up 2 units of saurus and then rear charged a stegadon. After 3 rounds of combat I ran it down :) +2 rear +1 standard and as I was frontage 1 it could only deal 1 wound back it had a chief aswell :P

So overall it works but you have to use it, don't take standard unless like me you rearcharge a monster (hydras?) and use the standards combat res.
u rear charged a steg with a frontage of 1? how can u? unless u were really pro and charged from exactly 17 3/4" - 18" and just clipped it? and it can do more than 1 wound. the whole unit could atk you (minus the steg). that's 5 stinks at least.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Griffon Prince

#9 Post by Griffon Prince »

They could only attack the champ, though. It's a neat trick I've seen done before.
geoguswrek

#10 Post by geoguswrek »

isn't it obvious? he had them one wide before he charged.
Besides, even if you can only reach with one model, you are now required to edge along and maximise frontage.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Chracian

#11 Post by Chracian »

I'm sure in a friendly match then it wouldn't matter if you'd modelled full command but didn't actually use them as such, as long as you made it clear to your opponent.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Sturen

#12 Post by Sturen »

geoguswrek wrote:isn't it obvious? he had them one wide before he charged.
Besides, even if you can only reach with one model, you are now required to edge along and maximise frontage.
That's what I did, the main problem is you have huge flanks and if I hadn't broken the steg that turn I would have been flank charged and obviosly died. :( I did it extra sneakily and made it look as if I just wanted to maxamise shots when I went 1x5 :D
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

Oh Chracian, that would be more cost-effective!

I couldn't be having with that! :)
Alathenar

#14 Post by Alathenar »

GW would turn over in there sleep if some1 was being cost effective with there merchandise!
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]