2k HE

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

orka

2k HE

#1 Post by orka »

Hey, I've designed the main part of my list, but I'm not sure what to do with the spare points.

main list:

prince: great weapon,Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Amulet of Light
-BSB: barded Elven steed, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance,Radiant Gem of Hoeth
-mage; level 2, 2 Dispell Scrolls, Silver Wand

-20 spears: full command

-14 SM: full command, Lion Standard
-6 DP: full command, Gem of Courage, Banner of Sorcery
-7 SW

-2 rbt
-2 GE

total: 2000pts

or option 2:

-remove Banner of Sorcery, Silver Wand, second level on mage and Radiant Gem of Hoeth
-give 1 spear unit War Banner and the SM Loec with adding either a unit of 7 SM or 10 archers or another noble, or take a WLC, or an additional scroll caddy(probably the last idea)

ps: what is most played, 2000 or 2250?

Thanks in advance.
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
HachiRoku

Re: 2k HE

#2 Post by HachiRoku »

Ok 1st thing is drop one dragon prince and run noble on steed with Bsb Banner sourcery along with them and give the Dp's the BoE. And In my opinon your a little weak in magic so bring another mage so when fighting magic heavy armies you'll have better defence Hope this helps
pk-ng

#3 Post by pk-ng »

Should this be in the army list section?

Anyway BoS with Level 2 mage + Level 1 "mage" is rather a waste in my opinion. Either go 2x level 2 mage with BoS (maybe) or just 1x level 1 mage as a caddy. and 2 die drain magic and hope for a IF.

20 spearmen with FC isn't going to do much unless you're facing a horde army and even in that you might have trouble winning combat. If you give them warbanner they will have a better chance of survival. Should really drop 1x 20 spearmen and get 10 Archers and give the other spearmen warbanner.

Drop BoS on your DPs give them Standard of Balance and on your BSB you can consider giving him Standard of the World Dragon or Battle Banner.

Not sure where it leaves you points wise but you could drop the SW and get some WLs? or PGs?
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Well I play this phase except with Seerstaff replacing Wand and 1 scroll and I find it excellent. 280pts vs 420pts for the 2Lvl2's option and the only real advantage the latter has is defence, which could be concern against magic-heavy enemy. If you play magic def well though, you'll get by even then.

I think your first list is very solid.
orka

#5 Post by orka »

Thanks for all the advice already given.
I mainly took the RGoH for magic defense, but then I could as well have a decent magic phase for just a few more points(with BoS, Silver wand and second level).

A few questions though:
-I think the SM and DP with bsb can break pretty much most units, but what do you think?
-should I play offensively or defensively, at the moment I'm leaning towards defense?
-what is most played, 2000 or 2250? :?:

@pk-ng: my mistake, it should be in the army list section
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Musashi

#6 Post by Musashi »

If you're playing with a Prince, then aggressively, or at least, in a manner that you retain the initiative and partially determine the pace of the game.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

The Swordmasters will break most units full stop! The DP's are pretty good too but due to their speed it'll be rare you have a charge a ranked unit frontally.

I would say your shooting and offensive magic are about the minimum you can get away with so in most games you may need a measured attack. Depends on the enemy though.

As far as I can tell 2250 is the thing in America. Here in the Uk it's both. Not sure about the Continent.

As it stands you get 1PD from the Gem, 2 from the Mage, and 2+D3 from the pool. So on the average you're looking at two 2-dice spells and a 3-dice spell. What makes this work is the spell selection.

I usually choose High Magic for the Lvl1, so he gets Shield and Drain. It can be worth something like Light against Undead for example. I usually go High with my Lvl2 and take Curse, Fury and Drain as I have the Seerstaff. Against a Dragon I'll take Beasts, against Empire I'll take Heavens.

With your Wand it might be better to go for Death or Heavens as you need a Lore that gives you a good chance of rolling two decent spells. High is not so crucial as you have the second scroll and might roll the big spells which are dubious on a Lvl2.

Against a defence of 5-6 dice and 2-3 scrolls this phase gets spells through. If you want more oomph at 2250 you could take AoC, Guardian Phoenix and Ring of Fury on your Lord. For 320pts that is an excellent magic attack.
orka

#8 Post by orka »

Good points, SpellArcher.I think of taking High/ Death on the level 2 and Metal/High on the noble. Is it worth to take Life on the level 2 for Howler Wind and Rain Lord?
So the SM and DP should slaughter the enemy, what about the spears +Prince?

A 2250 list would look like this(additions):

prince: great weapon,Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Amulet of Light
-BSB: barded Elven steed, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance,Radiant Gem of Hoeth
-mage; level 2, 2 Dispell Scrolls, Silver Wand

-20 spears: full command, War Banner
-10 archers: musician

-14 SM: full command, Lion Standard
-6 DP: full command, Gem of Courage, Banner of Sorcery
-7 SW
-5 SH: shields

-2 rbt
-2 GE

total: 2250pts

As always, any comments/criticism/advise are appreciated.
Blue
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Life can be effective against gunlines but Howler Wind is hit and miss because it is RIP. The opponent gets a second shot at dispelling just before his shooting phase, plus it doesn't stop War Machines.

Yes Metal is interesting on the Lvl1 as ROBI can be cast into combat. It's usually best to pick a spell he can cast every round, you need to squeeze the most out of him with this phase. High could be Ok on your Lvl2 as you know you're getting Drain and it's usually worth casting.

Spears+Prince is a good unit, as it has numbers and some killing power.

Your updated list looks fine to me.