My thoughts; Part 1: Deployment.

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

geoguswrek

My thoughts; Part 1: Deployment.

#1 Post by geoguswrek »

Instead of doing the university work i'm meant to be doing, i've decided to start writing a series of articles (because obviously everything i think is important and everyone should hear everything i have to say :D ). Each article will be aimed at a certain part of the game and aim to share my experiences with the newer members, to the effect of improving their overall game by focussing on the small details.

This first article looks at deployment

So, onto the article itself...

While it is not possible to win the game in deployment, it is possible to put yourself in a stronger position to win the game by deploying well, it is also certainly possible to lose the game with a bad deployment. Most players fall into one of two camps when it comes to deployment, i call these camps "counter-deployment" and "set-deployment". The two methods of deployment have quite differing styles, and both are skills that a player would be well advised to develop.

A "counter-deployment" is where we place our units in response to what our opponent has placed, for example we place warmachine hunters opposite his warmachines. If you decide to deploy in this way, your first step should be to make a careful analysis of your opponent's army and make a plan how to deal with each unit in it. This means making a realistic decision about each unit, don't rely on spearelves to beat chaos warriors for example. If some units are hard for you to kill, you can plan to avoid them or redirect them with something. Finally, if you decide that one of your units is going to need to kill two of theirs (for example, i know i need to shoot both a unit of dark riders and a unit of harpies with one unit of my archers) decide on your priorities (maybe you decide you should shoot the harpies, because they have a higher move and thus threaten your mages more, or the dark riders because they shoot and so will hurt your elite infantry). Now that you have a plan for each unit in the opponents army, you can aim to deploy each of your units opposite it's main target. Each time your opponent deploys a unit, you respond by deploying your counter unit in a good position to counter it.

Admittedly this method of deployment is more complicated than just this. If your opponent puts down his warmachine hunters, you should consider deploying your warmachines far away from them, even though this may mean they are less close to their real target. The objective is to place each unit in the best position to counter it's target unit, not to put your units as close as possible to it's target. Remember that you will have planned to avoid or redirect certain units, which you can achieve either by deploying far away from them (refusing the flank) or by the use of an eagle. If you do decide you will use an eagle for this, remember this when deploying the eagle. Also remember your opponent will be trying to kill your units and things such as shielding your units from line of sight of warmachines and giving them good fields of advance while being able to protect their flanks are important.

Every time you have to deploy a unit when you don't know the best place for any of your units (because no unit's first target is deployed yet). I suggest deploying the fast elements of your army (especially true of eagles and reavers) because they can redeploy in the shortest number of turns.

As you gain experience with this kind of deployment, you will become better at planning to deal with enemy units, and develop better anticipation of what your opponent is planning to do with his units. You will also learn to plan for his army in "teams" (people like to tag team infantry with a chariot, or with a flanking unit of some sort) and you should learn to recognise these teams as such, and consider these as a solo unit. (the most common team is when people plan to put a certain character in a certain unit, which you can often tell because of a gap in the unit).

The other method of deployment is quite different, instead of reacting to your opponent's deployment, you have developed a plan as to how you will work the army during the army selection stage and you deploy with this in mind. In my armies i have somewhere between 1 and 5 "set" deployments, which i bring out as required, generally i look at my opponent's army and decide how i am going to deploy my army, and then do so, with little reaction to my opponent's deployment.

These plans are not rigid, but are more of the idea of where units will be in the battle line. With any set deployment, there are units that we do not consider part of our plan. These are our "trouble-shooters". These units we use to deal with the big problems an enemy can put in our way, and so are always dictated by some of our opponent's units. for example we want to ensure our stardragon does as much damage as possible to the hardest units in the enemy army but is shot as little as possible. Thus we endeavour to ensure it is out of line of sight of enemy warmachines, but is also in the best position to kill the enemy that we will need it against.

the most common trouble shooters are warmachines (these, by their nature, make good trouble shooters from their ability to kill big monsters at long range, but need to be as protected as possible from enemy warmachine hunting attention), eagles (trouble-shooting is their entire job) and mounted characters (these are good for their ability to do additional damage in combat and can run a long way to get there). Any set deployment player should have at least a few trouble shooters to call on, and deploys these last, in order to best assess where they are needed. Note that we consider where the enemy force will be superior to ours, and it is these points we ensure support from trouble shooters, we do not generally look at single enemy units.

Now that i have outlined the two types of deployment, i will consider the advantages and disadvantges of each one:

The advantage of a counter deployment method is that you come into the game with a plan, and are deployed in such a way as to be able to employ that plan succesfully. The disadvantages of this method are that: the death of one or two key units means you are in a bad position when it comes to delaing with certain enemies; it is difficult to do effectively to fast armies or woodelves, because these can redeploy so effectively; and you are very vulnerable to an opponent doing something unpredictable, or using an unexpected item (when you plan to use a stardragon on a certain enemy unit, but they have the armour of stars in the unit say).

The advantage of set-deployment is you do not get decieved by your opponent, the disadvantages are: you can find yourself out of place to deal with a certain unit, your opponent deploying in an unexpected way can force you to reconsider your deployment or pt you completely out of position, a certain amount of anticipation is needed with your trouble shooters, you are reliant on your trouble shooters early on, and losing them can have serious consequences, you often find yourself stuck in a pattern and using the wrong set deployment can lose the game.

It would be wise to discuss some of the more common set deployments (thanks rod): i will give an outline of each one and why/when it works. A "refused flank" is where you deploy most of your army on one flank, with only redirectors or deception units in the centre or far flank. The point of this method is that it lets you engage a section of the enemy army with all of yours, and is most useful against horde armies since your troops are much better 1:1 than his are. "Castling" is a similar concept, you deploy in a corner, often on a hill. The difference however, is that a refused flank is aimed at stealing the amrch on the opponent, you move forward and engage his line, then pivot round to tackle to oncoming centre and far flank, whilst a castle deploys as far from the opponent as possible and then shoots the enemy until it gets close, engaging only to protect its ranged elements. There is also "battle-line" which is deploying across the centre of the table in something resembling a line, which has the advantage of being able to isolate and destroy either side of the enemy line more easily; an "echelon" deployment (as i understand it) uses a double wave of troops, the first being flak and rubbish, planning to flee from charges, setting up flanking and supporting charges from the better troops in the second row, with support from any flak that happens to see the sides of the enemy. this is often done with O+G or skaven, with slaves or goblins infront of better troops. "checkerboard" is similar, however here the flak is deployed intending to take charges, allowing flanking charges whether the recieving unit stands or is broken and pursued.

There are some very good articles on these deployments in the library.

There another issue that needs to be raised (thanks gobblas for pointing this out), and that is the idea of "cheap" deployment slots. using units like eagles, chariots, archers and silver helms, we have enough disposable deployments that we can put down a lot of units without disclosing what our battle plan is. this allows us to assess our opponents deployment from a position with more information than our opponent has. You should consider the number of deployments you have during army selection. If you already have lots, then getting as many as possible in is probably a goood plan, if you don't have many, then you may be better off going for strong units and the skeinsliver in order to be pretty sure of going first.

Thank you for reading (though i do wonder how many people will get all the way through), i hope it helps someone (i don't know how useful this will be to people).

Next issue will be about redirection of units.
Last edited by geoguswrek on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
saintjon

Re: My thoughts; Part 1: Deployment.

#2 Post by saintjon »

I for one am enjoying reading your thoughts so far, geoguswrek. I'm still a pretty fledgling player but I'm finding deployment to be the hardest part of the game to get just right. Almost every game I play either my opponent or I will be saying usually from very early on, "Oh man I messed up my deployment real bad." When I first started I was into counter-deployment but it seems to me you're better off going that route when you have a greater depth of experience playing. I've been trying to shift more towards set deployment and so far it has been working well for me. I don't want to clutter your thread though so I'll shut up for now.
pk-ng

#3 Post by pk-ng »

gw geo. luved reading it. i've in between prolly a set deployment dude. can't wait for the next part!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
GobbladasSquig

#4 Post by GobbladasSquig »

Great observations, geogus. :) Deployment is really my favourite part of the game. It's where you get greatly rewarded for keeping your head cool and being able to win your opponent in the mind game. The rest of the game is sometimes a bit unrewarding, due to the random factor of dice coming in.

You are entirely correct about the two mind sets of deployment. Usually I now notice that actual deployment is very much a mixture of these, however. Counter deployment if often applied only to a few very dangerous units, either so that one tries to deploy his soft and expensive stuff as far away from the threat as possible or so that one tries to counter the threat with some element of his own army, deploying them head to head.

What I really love about deployment is bluffing. I can start to deploy imposing, but really rather unsignificant, units in a counter deployment style leading my opponent to make false assumptions about the rest of my plan. Actually I then have a set deployment for an important part of my army, which then easily outpowers a part of his army expecting to face something else. This is of course easiest against more static armies, with infantry blocks and war machines and the need to maintain some coherence. Still, it can work against wood elves too, if you do it carefully.

One more thing about deployment. One can never emphasise too much the need of deployment buffers. In static armies, in shock armies, in mixed armies; everyone needs deployment buffers to be able to compete in the deployment phase. Buffers are cheap units that are either quite insignificant for the battle plan or fast enough to redeploy where they are really needed. Examples are great eagles, "naked" silver helm units, snotlings, harpies, fast cavalry etc. Having sufficient buffers means you get to have a look at your opponent's deployment plan for pretty much free. My O&G army does well because no one can outdeploy me. With 6-9 deployment buffers, I've seen elf and chaos armies deploying characters before I've laid down one important unit. It's such a great assett, well worth losing the +1 to the start roll IMO. A possible exception is an army that has a very strong set deployment (dwarfs castleing in the corner) but even they will suffer because they can't react to their opponent. Also, some high elf armies go low on deployment drops to make best use out of the Skeinsliver and ensure them the first round.
Musashi

#5 Post by Musashi »

Since there's no Fog of War, and units are placed alternately by each player, it does have to be a mixture of the two, on one hand as part of the strategy decided upon the troop selection process and the other as the situation develops during deployment.

A blitzkrieg strategy demands that certain units be placed in coordination, a generic aggressive involves trying to fool the opponent where your centre of gravity lies, while the sitzkrieg is more passive and usually revolves keeping your primary units as far away from your opponent's hammers as possible, while setting up fields of fire
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
geoguswrek

#6 Post by geoguswrek »

Gobblas, mushashi, you are both of course, right as usual. Generally at a high level you end up with a hybrid deployment, where you partly deploy according to a plan, and partly as a reaction to your opponent. I will also Edit in a section about cheap deployment slots, i had completely forgotten about them. thanks.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thank you for this overview about deployment geoguswrek. I think the most important thing in deployment is to think about what you are doing instead of just putting down units at random (unless of course you have a 1000 gnoblars army).

Appart from cheap deployment slots that you can use to hide your battleplan there are also obvious deployment slots. Units that obviously go somewhere because that is their best place. Clearest example is archers going on a hill, but there are more options of course. Your opponent should be expecting them there and you wont give anything away by putting them their, even if they are more expensive units than archers). This also makes them very useable to hide your plan.

On thing maybe worth mentioning is the different kinds of set-deployments plans that are very common. Refused flank is a common one, where you "ignore" half the battle field during deployment. Others can be checkerboard (though not for HEs usually), echelon, castleing etc...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Chracian

#8 Post by Chracian »

Thanks for the coverage geo. I have lost games by poor deployment and I think it is one of the most important parts of the game and certainly not one that should be rushed.

What's the type of deployment that's like refused flank, but with something small and annoying on the refused flank (so your opponent can't ignore it)? It's bugging me that I can't remember the name, but I like using it when I can.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
geoguswrek

#9 Post by geoguswrek »

In my mind thats a refused flank. You use a few little things both to convince the opponent early on that you aren't deploying refused, so they deploy across the extent of the table, and so that the enemy can't just move everything towards the non-refused flank.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#10 Post by Seredain »

geoguswrek wrote:In my mind thats a refused flank. You use a few little things both to convince the opponent early on that you aren't deploying refused, so they deploy across the extent of the table, and so that the enemy can't just move everything towards the non-refused flank.
That's exactly what I do most of the time - using fast units to set up the false (refused) flanks which suck enemy units away from where I'm actually based. We've got lots of small fast units for doing that sort of thing.

Great article Geogus - you've spelt out the issues very nicely.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Musashi

#11 Post by Musashi »

IIRC, in HEAB6 I used to use Tiranoc Chariots, Silver Helms and GEs for the throwaway deployment units, but nowadays it would be minimum Spears, Archers, GEs and minimum elite infantry.

That's between 75 (arguably 50) to 110 points, which is by no means cheap, and compromised by limited slots.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Lord Anathir

#12 Post by Lord Anathir »

I deploy the fast stuff like eagles/cav/chariots first and the slower stuff at the end. what seredain said too.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
lathian

#13 Post by lathian »

I deploy in order of predictability. For example, if my side has a hill with a good lane of fire, it will have my lothern seaguard and bolt throwers, so they will go down first. I have a relatively set infantry line that then spreads from there. Therefore, my cavalry is usually deployed last as a response to whatever most threatens my infantry that can't be gunned down.

When on a field, I'll put down eagles first behind terrain, then cavalry on a far flank, and lastly, when I know where the body of my enemy's troops will be are placed down, I deploy my infantry to match reach them with the best counters.

In other words, whether or not I'm primarily set or reactive will depend largely on terrain.
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
Sashimoto

#14 Post by Sashimoto »

Very interesting article. Thank you, geoguswreck!
tiekwando2

#15 Post by tiekwando2 »

Great work!
Alathenar

#16 Post by Alathenar »

When i first started warhammer with my Lizards i always did counter-deployment while i was learning the rules, and i think most new players would to. Just so you feel that you have a response to every enemy unit. I hate having a set-deploymrnt plan and then the opponent starts putting down units in wack positions and i just can't help but switch my deploymrnt and fall back onto counter-deployment halfway through deployment. I agree that deployment is very important and that some players partly overlook it relying to much on what units SHOULD do but sometimes don't.
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]