Archmage/Mage equipment and numbers

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Red_Lep

Archmage/Mage equipment and numbers

#1 Post by Red_Lep »

Simple question, how many mages do you use and with what equipment? At 2000pts, I'm planning on running an Archmage with 2 Dispel Scrolls, Ring of Fury, and Silver Wand supported by the Banner of Sorcery.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Archmage/Mage equipment and numbers

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

One, with Seerstaff and Scroll. Phase works very nicely! :)

Your set-up sounds good.
Griffon Prince

#3 Post by Griffon Prince »

I used to run a level 4 with wand, 2 scrolls and a powerstone combined with a lvl 2 with seer and a 3rd scroll. I had the BoS on either Phoenix Guard or Dragon Princes.
Nowadays, I just run 2 caddies.
Alathenar

#4 Post by Alathenar »

Yea i think to get the most out of ur magic phase at 2000points you would need a Archmage, Lvl 2 Mage and BoS. And magic items to ur taste, seerstaff and Silver Wand are very handy.
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
HachiRoku

#5 Post by HachiRoku »

What other units you plan on running..You can also put archmage in a unit of PG with banner of arcane protection which will help againest magic directed his way..But overall setup is good
geoguswrek

#6 Post by geoguswrek »

swift swordmaster pretty much has it. for added fun try dragon mage, archmage, BoS (this is really not very nice though)
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Alathenar

#7 Post by Alathenar »

:lol: Yes geo i have tried that setup before and i can only recommend it further. makes for a very fun magic phase and towards the end if u played it safe with the DM can add some good punch to ur remaining units.
geoguswrek

#8 Post by geoguswrek »

I've only charged once with the dragon mage... against about 3 temple guard who were in combat with 2 dragon princes. I don't like risking 150 point models with no armour and 2 wounds.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Alathenar

#9 Post by Alathenar »

I give my DM the GP and he stays around a little bit longer most times. the DM does do some heroic things like after 2 turns of magicking up a chaos chariot to 2 wound left then next turn i charged it with flaming sword amd killed it. Even though it did'nt get its points back just from that it still did something worthwhile.
Elaithnir

#10 Post by Elaithnir »

Well, I'm experimenting with magic heavy (used to run a foot prince, dual L2 setup), with an Archmage (Book of Hoeth), L2 with Seerstaff and Scroll, and the BoS. Seems to work pretty well. The Book I feel is indispensable with the amount of dispel dice running around out there. Even a 10 PD phase isn't tough to shut down for some armies...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

I think it depends on where you're playing. Red Lep's phase (and mine) can work very nicely in a comped environment. Otherwise yes you probably need the heavy set-up.

Taking the Seer with the Book is controversial Elaithnir. Some guys rate it and some say the enemy's DD just shut the Lvl2 down. Have you found this a problem at all?
Musashi

#12 Post by Musashi »

BoH/Teclis only works if you're consequent - in other words, you have one or two spells that are required to go off; any further magic activity will likely be countered by the unused Dispel Die.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Angel

#13 Post by Angel »

I run an Archmage with Silver Wand, Scroll, and RoF along with a Mage with Seerstaff and Scroll and the Banner of Sorcery.
Nice and solid magic phase. But due to magic completely failing to do anything in the past few games I'm considering, for the first time ever, a Prince based list instead.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#14 Post by SpellArcher »

Why was that Angel?
Alathenar

#15 Post by Alathenar »

Same here Angel, i have been using a Prince list lately as magic just hasnt been working and the frailty of our mages doesn't help either. But i might be to used to my 4+ Ward Slann or 2+ AS Priest.
saintjon

#16 Post by saintjon »

I fought 4 battles today with one level one scroll caddy with a wand and although he didn't a heck of a lot he was able to keep the heat off pretty nicely. My last opponent deserved to do better than he did with his 2 level 2 empire mages but the poor guy kept miscasting all day, which is the main reason I don't like magic to begin with. I'm going to start taking the trickster's pendant I think lol, teach people to throw around buckets of dice all day.
tiekwando2

#17 Post by tiekwando2 »

Today i used an archmage, lvl 4 ROF, silverwand, scroll and BOS. Worked really well. Took fire against O&G and got everything but the sword. Miscast once, managed to get off two wall of fires and a few 2d6s and even the ring twice (once a surprise, once he forgot). Made a big difference for 380 point investment.
Foxbat

#18 Post by Foxbat »

Recently, I have been testing an Archmage equipped with the Ring of Fury, Reaver Bow, and Dispel Scroll (I call him the Blaster Archmage). The accompanying Mage is equipped with the Seerstaff and Dispel Scroll and either the DP or PG takes the BoS. As for Lores, the Archmage almost always goes with Fire, while the Mage takes High or some other Lore. Taking the Lore of Fire on the Archmage is aimed at minimizing the chances of not getting a direct damage spell. I have even taken Fire against other HE players and won.

This set-up so far has worked fairly well at 2000 pts, but is clearly better at 2250 pts. The main reason is that you now have the sufficient points to create a reasonably good sized bunker for the mages instead of having to rely upon a dual purpose bunker/combat unit.
Alathenar

#19 Post by Alathenar »

How has the Reaver Bow on the AM been working out?
Foxbat

#20 Post by Foxbat »

SwiftSwordmaster wrote:How has the Reaver Bow on the AM been working out?
It has been working quite well as compared to adding another RBT. I have found that the 3x S5 shots just seem to score more wounds than the 6xS4 shots.
Last edited by Foxbat on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orka

#21 Post by orka »

Reaver Bow is much better on a Prince or Noble.
BTW, a RBT fires 6xS4.
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Foxbat

#22 Post by Foxbat »

orka wrote:Reaver Bow is much better on a Prince or Noble.
While this is true, placing the bow on a Noble or Prince is only better if he can shoot. As my Nobles and Princes tend to be marching for optimal charge positions, having a bow on these characters is not all that useful. Further, if I put it on my BSB I’m precluded from taking a more useful magic banner. Bottom line is that for my style of play and list composition, the optimal place for the Reaver Bow is on the Archmage or not taken at all.
orka wrote:a RBT fires 6xS4.
Right you are, brain fart on my part.
Musashi

#23 Post by Musashi »

I thought that was deliberate - since the chances are that only four bolts are likely to be sticking out of anything.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Gildor777

#24 Post by Gildor777 »

I really like the idea of the Reaver Bow on the AM. I have thought about using a Silver Wand/Reaver Bow option on a L1/2 mage in smaller games. BS4 still gives you hits of a 4+ for most of the game, and makes the mage worthwhile sitting back in a unit of archers. Give a 2nd level 2 a Seerstaff/scroll and add a BoS. Trade off between the bow and the Ring. Depending on the opponent, the bow might get you back more points than the ring.
Foxbat

#25 Post by Foxbat »

The only drag about putting the Archmage/Mage with the Reaver Bow in a unit of Archers is that the Character must shoot at the same target and at the same time as the unit. For this reason, I prefer to put the Reaver Bow in a unit of PG or in a RBT crew. Being able to assign the Reaver Bow’s target independent of my other missile troops is very valuable.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#26 Post by SpellArcher »

Reaver Bow FTW!

Great on fighting characters but can be useful here too as said.

Think 'targets of opportunity'!
Gildor777

#27 Post by Gildor777 »

I forgot about putting him in with an RBT crew. Certainly makes good sense since there is usually a unit of archers nearby to go run into if need be. The only problem is he is more open to being targeted in that position.
saintjon

#28 Post by saintjon »

depends how you deploy your bolt throwers. You don't -have- to put them on a hill. against slow opponents sometimes there are good opportunities to just stick them on the ground on a flank. If your flank units are good they should stay out of trouble for the most part.
Alathenar

#29 Post by Alathenar »

I'll never forget when i put my Bolter on a hill against TK and he cast smiting on it and i was like Pfft its only the front rank who attacks so let it go....then BAM, 40 skellies with bows! It was painful taking that r.b.t off the board.