Anyone ever try max eagles?

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Kovalev

Re: Anyone ever try max eagles?

#31 Post by Kovalev »

My mistake!!!!

I got mixed up in the asterisks at the bottom! Woohoo!!
Phoenix legion

#32 Post by Phoenix legion »

Wow. I have never used 8 eagles but I have used 4 before. 4 eagles are very effective and even somewhat horrific for certain armies to face. The amount of units/points that can be disrupted with 4 eagles can definately be game changing.
I also ran with an eagle bsb for many games with my wood elves and found him to be one of the best builds ive ever used (noble, eagle, asyendis bane, HoDA). Basicly a 32" reroll ability and optimal HoDA delivery that can never give up pts for the army std unless I chose to. Also great when your rares are already filled with other than eagles. I never did take any armor and still find it to be overrated. I have also never tried the HE bsb eagle rider with reaver bow. May have to reassess his value in my army.
5lizak

#33 Post by 5lizak »

I tried max eagles out on a 1000pt scale last night against Lizardmen to spectacular results; 2 eagles, a noble with star lance / talisman of loec on an eagle, dragon mage and spearmen to hide the eagles on the left side with the dragon hiding behind a forest initially, and a pair of lion chariots coming from the right side.

Personally, I feel the dragon mage is preferable to the two nobles on eagles (370 pts) that could have replaced it.
- Terror is fun! Even against cold-blooded lizardmen, it came in handy once by scaring off skinks I flew near, and eagles chased those down
- When I got flaming sword of Rhun off, the dragon mage with 3 S6 flaming attacks hitting on 2+ and the noble on an eagle with 3 S7 armor ignoring hits (+ dragon and eagle attacks) absolutely decimated any units they charged at the same time
- Sun Dragons have plain better stats. +1S and +2T (but -1W) compared to a pair of eagles.

Besides, with 4 flying units in a 1000 point game, you've got enough disruption happening... having the extra eagle with a noble wouldn't do terribly much on that scale, I think. If you'll excuse me, I've gotta go buy some eagles now. (I was using pteradons as proxies.)