I am new in Warhammer & i am building my first 1000pt Army

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

kourosh

I am new in Warhammer & i am building my first 1000pt Army

#1 Post by kourosh »

Hello i am newbie in this game, I pick High elves as my fist Army
it state in 7th edition rule book you can pick 3 heroes, 1+ core, 0-5 special & 0-2 rare

i want to built this Army
2 Heroes Caradryan 175 pt & Korhil 140pt = 315 pt
1 core = 10 Archer (FC) = 135 pt
2 special = 20 Phoenix Guard (FC) with KoF bear Amulet of fire & SB bear Banner of Sorcery = 400 pt
10 White Lion = 150 pt
_____________________________________________________________________________________
1000pt

note: I put Caradryan on White Lion & Korhil in Phoenix Guard
I would use the Phoenix Guard as Anvil, White lion as Hammer & Archer as Skirmisher

I prefer Caradryan as Commander but probably i would use Korhil as Commander instead

This Army main unit is the Phoenix guard
They are colored Red, Gold, Silver, White and Black
with Probably Eataine Shrine of Asuryan theme or Caledor theme

I need tactical advise how to playing with these Troops ^^ Thanks for the advice
[color=#BF4040][b]The Fire of Asuryan protect me[/b][/color]
Kylim

Re: I am new in Warhammer & i am building my first 1000pt Army

#2 Post by Kylim »

Giving the Phoenix Guard the Banner of Sorcery doesn't make any sense, considering you have no mages to use the power dice. It would be better to give the White Lions a sb and Lion Standard imo.
kourosh

#3 Post by kourosh »

.... i use the magic standard banner because i see lot of people use it..... oh well

okay's may new edit would be this

1 core = 10 Archer (FC) = 135 pt
2 special = 20 Phoenix Guard (FC) with KoF bear Amulet of fire = 350 pt
10 White Lion (FC)= 250 pt
_____________________________________________________________________________________
1000 pt
kourosh

#4 Post by kourosh »

New Update ^^

how about this
1 core = 10 Archer = 110 pt
2 special = 15 Phoenix Guard (FC) with KoF bear Amulet of fire = 275 pt
10 White Lion = 150 pt
2 rare = 1 Repeater bolt thrower = 100 pt
1 War Eagle = 50 pt

now how about this ^^

Korhil with Phoenix guard
Caradryan with the White lion
Mellock

#5 Post by Mellock »

first of all, you do realise that not everyone wants to play with special characters.
I don't know if you have taken this into account, so you might want to think about some normal heroes as well.

second, I find it very stupid not to use any mages. it gives you a solid magic defence, especially in 1000 points, and you might be able to numb the enemy's magic phase or give your units stubborn. My favourite is curse of arrow attraction, because it really maxes out your shooting phase, thus doing more damage with the same points. Believe me, phoenix guard and white lions are some nasty units, they don't really need a hero in a 1K battle, because the enemy will probably have a sorcerer too and 1 hero.
Don't overestimate heroes, they can give a punch, but they break just as easily as the unit they're in, and then you will loose a lot of points. They are just 1 model...

Even in this case I wouldn't use the banner of sorcery, unless you give your mage silver wand, thus making him actually need the extra power dices. Then you're quite set in the magic phase.

next: shooting phase, no comments on that, thats a decent shooting phase

next: combat phase, I would drop the white lions, since i don't see the use, if they are flank charged by a 20 model unit, the're gone. keep the phoenix guard, and throw in a unit of 20 spearmen. They're very decent 15 attacks if attack head on, large numbers good static combat resolution...

do what I say, and you'll have a very decent all-round 1K high elf army, that will be able to do something against every army there.
note: if you decide to go over 1500 points you'll need a lot more specials off course, because then you can afford them and you will be able to put them in rendable units.
grantmepower

#6 Post by grantmepower »

kourosh wrote:New Update ^^

how about this
They are both good heroes, but without a mage you lack in magic defense. This can be gotten around to some extent by putting Caradryan in a unit that needs his magic resistance (3) and using items that grant magic resistance. The banner of arcane protection gives magic resistance (2), and so could be a nice choice. The amulet of fire also give magic resistance (1), and I see that you have it in the list. Phoenix guard are less susceptible to damage from magic because of their 4+ ward save, so you don't need to worry as much there. The problem with not having mages really comes when you face opponents that don't cast spells on your units, but cast spells that buff theirs. For instance, Vampire Counts summon new units onto the battlefield, but magic resistance does nothing to stop that.

1 core = 10 Archer = 110 pt
Archers are always good, but don't expect them to do too much. Because they are only getting 10 strength 3 bowshots a turn (if they are on a hill) they won't kill much. They are best used to knock a model off a unit so that it looses a rank bonus and to fire at other targets of opportunity.

2 special = 15 Phoenix Guard (FC) with KoF bear Amulet of fire = 275 pt
Phoenix Guard are a solid choice. I think that they should always have a standard bearer and musician because they rely on static combat resolution (ranks, standard, and sometimes outnumber) rather than active combat resolution (kills). The standard gives more combat resolution to the Phoenix Guard unit, which is really what it needs. I sometimes even use the warbanner on this unit for an additional +1. The musician is there for ties.

10 White Lion = 150 pt
White lions are always nice because they can do damage (strength 6) and tend to stick around because of their stubborn. If you are going to be playing against armies that cause fear especially Vampire Counts, Daemons, or Tomb Kings then you should really debate putting the Lion Banner, which makes a unit immune to fear and terror, or the Standard of Balance, which does the same by making the unit immune to psychology, in the unit. White lions also tend to work better in slightly larger numbers than you have there (12-14 fielded in two wide ranks or more in a block), but 10 is acceptable and costs less for starting an army.

2 rare = 1 Repeater bolt thrower = 100 pt
Bolt throwers are always a good choice.

1 War Eagle = 50 pt
Great eagles are mostly used for redirecting and march blocking, as well as war machine hunting. Don't expect them to kill anything other than a war machine crew or a lone mage.

now how about this ^^

Korhil with Phoenix guard
Caradryan with the White lion
My comments are above in red. Good luck with your army!
~Grant
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
kourosh

#7 Post by kourosh »

Hmmm everybody gave a good advice
i think i will drop Korhil and add some mage

How about this NEW army

2 Heroes :
1 Caradryan - as General for - 175 points
1 level2Mage - Silver wand, Staff of Solidity, Ring of Corin for - 185 points

1 Core:
1 Archers x10 - 110 points

2 Special:
1 Phoenix Guard x10 - Enbed TheMage (6x2 formation), Musician, Banner , Keeper of the Flame, Banner of Sorcery, Amulet of Fire - 250 points
1 White Lions / Sword masters of Hoeth x12 - Enbed Caradryan (6x3 formation) - 180 points

1 Rare:
1 Repeating Bolt Thrower - 100 points

Total Army (175+185+110+250+180+100) - 1000 points.

I can't make my mind between White lions and Sword masters please help me to choose them :)
grantmepower

#8 Post by grantmepower »

kourosh wrote:Hmmm everybody gave a good advice
i think i will drop Korhil and add some mage

How about this NEW army

2 Heroes :
1 level2Mage - Silver wand, Staff of Solidity, Ring of Corin for - 185 points
You run into trouble here because you are only allowed one arcane item per mage. You need to pick just one. A popular set-up for a level 2 mage is the seerstaff+scroll or power stone. This way you can choose your spells. Considering that you have the banner of sorcery, you probably don't need the power stone and would be better off with the scroll. Another good level 2 setup is the silver wand+Ring of Fury. That lets your mage use 3 spells a turn plus a bound item. That's a formidable magic phase for a single level 2. The trouble comes when you roll bad spells.

1 Core:
1 Archers x10 - 110 points

2 Special:
1 Phoenix Guard x10 - Enbed TheMage (6x2 formation), Musician, Banner , Keeper of the Flame, Banner of Sorcery, Amulet of Fire - 250 points
10 phoenix guard is rather small for a unit of them, but they can work as a survivable unit and mage bunker. You don't really need the amulet of fire in the unit because of the 4+ ward save, so I'd swap it out for another PG, and maybe drop the unit champion for another one as well. Ideally a unit of Phoenix Guard should be at least 15 strong. The trouble of course is points, so if they have to say at 10, just be careful how you use them.

1 White Lions / Sword masters of Hoeth x12 - Enbed Caradryan (6x3 formation) - 180 points
Both white lions and swordmasters are a good choice. It's really up to preference. White lions will be more survivable against shooting and are stubborn and swordmasters are blenders. Both are good choices, and I would actually just pick based on what models I like the most unless you know that one or the other would be better in your environment.

1 Rare:

I can't make my mind between White lions and Sword masters please help me to choose them :)
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
Hawkoon

#9 Post by Hawkoon »

From what I can see here you have a small-scale hammer and anvil potential here.

Since you are a bit short on points, I would probably trim down the "hammer" unit, swordmasters/white lions, and stuff in more phoenix guard to have them work better as an "anvil" unit.

In low numbered hammer units i have better experience with swordmasters than with white lions, although they both work well for the purpose, so I would go for maybe 7x swordmasters and a 15x phoenix guard, FC unit. I would actually put Caradryan in the PG unit, as they do need a little boost in damage, just incase your hammer does get delayed, or stuck.

So what you want to do with this army is keep swordmasters out of enemy shooting, and try to force your opponent to attack Phoenix guard (putting both caradryan and your mage in the same unit will really help this), then you slam some swordmasters or white lions in their side the next turn.

Use the boltthrower together with archers to cause panic tests. Or if the enemy has heavy cavalry focus the boltthrower on those.

Use your eagle to distract and spilt up your opponents forces so that they don't all reach you at the same time (god knows how many times I've lost a game because my hammer unit was held up by something else) Make them go on a wild goose (eagle?) chase away from the main combat if possible.

Hope it helps, and good luck on the battlefield
kourosh

#10 Post by kourosh »

I see After hearing all your advice i modify the army into this
Hope this would be the final army but i want still to hear the odd

2 Heroes :
1 level2Mage - Silver wand & Ring of Fury for - 185 points

1 Core:
1 Archers x10 (5X2) - 110 points

2 Special:
1 Phoenix Guard x13 - Enbed Caradryan & TheMage, Musician, Standard Banner , Keeper of the Flame, Banner of Sorcery (5X3) - 275 points
1 Sword masters of Hoeth x7 - Musician, Standard Banner , Bladelord, Amulet of fire (7X1) - 165 points

1 Rare:

Thanks for all the advice :) it's really help