Phoenix building woes

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

emptyhat

Phoenix building woes

#1 Post by emptyhat »

I feel like I might be missing something with the phoenix. It seems like the ball and socket base is supposed snap in and the bird will balance without glue. But when I built my flamespyre way back it the socket on the phoenix was visibly misaligned so I just assumed that I messed it up, or the cast was wonky.

This time with the Frostheart I was really careful with that part but it seems no,it isn't going to just be a snap on/snap off affair. Am I doing this wrong or what?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Phoenix building woes

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

If I remember correctly, you need to glue the ball into the model to make it stay in place.

As an alternative, what you can try is to drill a little hole in the ball and in the phoenix. Then, glue in a small pin (I've found that a piece of a paperclip is ideal for this) in the ball (the pin only needs to be a few mm). Now you get the phoenix to stay on by sliding the hole of the phoenix over the pin. I think I did this and still glued the phoenix in place though.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
emptyhat

#3 Post by emptyhat »

Gluing it to the base just sounds like a recipe for me snapping it off that base so I've double downed on the paperclip pillar route.

https://imgur.com/aZqVKVt

https://imgur.com/OUCwiTq
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

That definitely works. And yes, snapping is an issue. Though it's not as bad with the phoenix models as it was with the metal great eagles. The plastic is relatively light and flexible, which makes it a lot more forgiving than the heavy metal models.

Great looking model by the way :)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
TyrrenAzureblade

#5 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

The phoenix I bought was also loose in the socket. The model came together perfectly at the seam. I think it's just slight variations in castings. My plan is to coat the round bit at the end of the plastic stand with some super glue and let it dry so it hopefully makes the fit a little more snug.