Vanari Dawnriders as Silver Helms for WFB

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

cerebros

Vanari Dawnriders as Silver Helms for WFB

#1 Post by cerebros »

Hi everyone, first post for a while.

Now that I've managed to get my loft sorted out a bit, so that I can actually put my hands on my models without spending a whole day moving stuff about up there, I'm hoping that a bit later this year I can get round to finishing off my army.

While I've got models for nearly all High Units as far as I can recall, the one unit I don't have the models to build is Silver Helms. I was never keen on the plastic models or the last metals. I vaguely recall I had a plan to kitbash some using the Dark Rider/Doomfire Warlock horses and... something but I can't remember what.

Anyway, as I think everything I own that's expensive to replace/repair decided to break or need repairing in 2020, there's a good chance I might be able afford some money to spend on hobby as well this year so I'm pondering what I could use to plug the Silver Helm shaped hole and was looking at the Vanari Dawnriders.

Obviously the main stumbling block when looking to use AoS models in Warhammer is the model size, given that I understand the sculptors are taking advantage of AoS not being a ranked game to allow models to overhang the base, so my main query is whether anyone can say from experience if it's possible to get the Dawnriders to rank up on rectangular cavalry bases or not.
My all new painting blog

Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website.
fitzlock

Re: Vanari Dawnriders as Silver Helms for WFB

#2 Post by fitzlock »

I remember The Old World Lives Podcast posting about this and they kindly took some images. Short answer: yes, long answer: yes but they're noticeably a different scale to high elf cavalry. Hopefully my image linking works (it's been hit and miss today).

Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
cerebros

#3 Post by cerebros »

Thanks for that, that is a bit of a difference. Are there any images you're aware of showing a comparison in the size of the riders? I can possibly sell myself on the idea of Elyrian Reavers using smaller, nimbler horses than the Silver Helms but not sure I could make myself buy in to there being a substantial difference in the rider height.
My all new painting blog

MasterOfNone

#4 Post by MasterOfNone »

Geez, they are absolutely ginormous!

Just my opinion, but they are too big for me.
You can get lots of inexpensive silver helms on eBay, there's plenty of choice.

[To be fair, I have to admit my judgement might be a bit clouded, I have a complete aversion for anything AoS]
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Azaam

#5 Post by Azaam »

I never had a proper look on the Vanari Dawnriders before but I think they look great !
Depending on the size of the body, taking the head and shields from silver helms to replace the dawnriders ones may give some nice result.
Please keep us updated if you find the information !

EDIT : using very scientific method and extremely precise mesurement it looks like the body are pretty much the same size (= I tried to make the base lenght matches with Paint to be able to makea rough comparison)
Last edited by Azaam on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
fitzlock

#6 Post by fitzlock »

I found this reddit topic which shows some more size comparisons if that helps?
Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

man that horse looks huge. It's a pretty decent model from the looks of it. Though why anyone would put a back on the saddle of a warhorse is beyond me. "Let's prevent the rider from easily looking behind him. What could possible go wrong with that..."

I think if you want something that easily fits with the rest of your range then ebay is probably your best bet. There's some ridiculously expensive models there, but also some bargainst to be had. It seems to depend on the seller knowing what he has and if you want to buy a whole box at once or if you're willing to buy them in ones and twos.

Alternatively, you could look at mantic elves (though I'm not a fan): https://www.manticgames.com/games/kings ... -regiment/ though I'm not sure how they compare size wise.

Or you could check out the LoTR elven line-up from games workshop. They have some nice cavalry models, though they are a bit smaller than WH models.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
MasterOfNone

#8 Post by MasterOfNone »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Or you could check out the LoTR elven line-up from games workshop. They have some nice cavalry models, though they are a bit smaller than WH models.

Rod
The swan knights of Dol Amroth would make excellent silver helms were it not for the fact that they are too small.
I got four and painted them, they look good in isolation but too small next even to oldhammer models.
MasterOfNone wrote:This one is a weird one.
I bought 4 knights of Dol Amroth thinking they would serve well as Silver Helms and indeed they don't look bad. I thought they could be made into a unit of 5 as shown.
However they are really tiny compared to the other miniatures, even compared to the bunch of Silver Helms from the 80's that I have. For this reason I have not completed the switch to 25x50 bases.
Maybe I should put them up for sale?

BTW they are now on eBay (with completed round bases) waiting for a buyer.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
cerebros

#9 Post by cerebros »

Hmm... From looking at that reddit photo the Dawnrider looks like it'd be noticeably taller too amongst my Reavers and Dragon Princes. Think I might have to get back up in the loft and double-check how far along I'd got with my kitbash plan for the Silver Helms
My all new painting blog