Ulthuan
http://ulthuan.net/forum/

A new painting blog - Savage Orcs WIP
http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79011
Page 5 of 7

Author:  Azaam [ Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok WIP

Damn ! I'm always a bit scared when I come check this topic and I think soon I won't even be able to come anymore.
This Arachnarok feels more realistic each time you post and now it looks even more dangerous ! I really think you did a great job with the "face" and the horns.

Author:  Prince of Spires [ Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok WIP

He looks mean :) I like it.

The base is actually pretty nice as well.

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok WIP

Prince of Spires wrote:
He looks mean :) I like it.

The base is actually pretty nice as well.


Thanks, it's all made with natural products found in my garden :)
I would like it to be a bit greener and lusher, maybe I'll revisit it when painting is finished. Nothing drastic though.

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok WIP

Azaam wrote:
Damn ! I'm always a bit scared when I come check this topic and I think soon I won't even be able to come anymore.
This Arachnarok feels more realistic each time you post and now it looks even more dangerous ! I really think you did a great job with the "face" and the horns.


That made me laugh...
The body will only get a few more touches, the remaining action is on the howdah and I am not enjoying it.

If you really can't take this monster, check for a change in title - the next WIP will probably be a unit of trolls, which are comparatively benign and cute.

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

Yesterday night I finally finished the Arachnarok.
Well, this has been a challenge!
I could have been more patient and spent more time bringing out all the details, but at the end I had enough and just wanted it done.
Anyway, I am still very satisfied with the result. It would certainly be a scary beast for an opponent on the board.
Image

Image

Image

Next task: a unit of 8 trolls. They are already primed and I can't wait to paint them.

Author:  Azaam [ Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

I think you know how much I love this model and I'm really sad I won't be able to see any more pictures of it ! XD

Seriously, you did an amazing job ! The fact that it's coming out of the base make it more realistic. I almost feel like it's gonna move.

I can't wait to see these trolls !

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

Azaam wrote:
I think you know how much I love this model and I'm really sad I won't be able to see any more pictures of it ! XD

Seriously, you did an amazing job ! The fact that it's coming out of the base make it more realistic. I almost feel like it's gonna move.

I can't wait to see these trolls !


Cheers! If you miss it I can photobomb your threads with it ;)

These trolls are a special project because many of them have been cloned using blue stuff moulds and milliput.
Otherwise trolls can be insanely expensive.

Author:  Azaam [ Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

Quote:
These trolls are a special project because many of them have been cloned using blue stuff moulds and milliput.


Wow that's amazing. I watched some videos about it but I was wandering if it was worth all the trouble. Can't wait to see the end result !

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

Azaam wrote:
Quote:
These trolls are a special project because many of them have been cloned using blue stuff moulds and milliput.


Wow that's amazing. I watched some videos about it but I was wandering if it was worth all the trouble. Can't wait to see the end result !


They're not as good as the original, but after painting I think they will pass muster.

Author:  Prince of Spires [ Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

That is one scary beast indeed. It looks awesome.
MasterOfNone wrote:
I could have been more patient and spent more time bringing out all the details, but at the end I had enough and just wanted it done.

This is often how I feel at the end of a project. At some point it's good enough...
MasterOfNone wrote:
Azaam wrote:
I think you know how much I love this model and I'm really sad I won't be able to see any more pictures of it ! XD

Seriously, you did an amazing job ! The fact that it's coming out of the base make it more realistic. I almost feel like it's gonna move.

Cheers! If you miss it I can photobomb your threads with it ;)

There is another solution. You could always post pictures of it when it's fighting in battles... ;)

The trolls sound like a fun project.

Rod

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

Prince of Spires wrote:
That is one scary beast indeed. It looks awesome.
The trolls sound like a fun project.
Rod


The trolls are coming along at incredible speed.
I am amazed by how easy it feels painting them after the arachnarok.
In just one day I have done all basecoating and first round of drybrushing on all of them. They are already in a state where some would consider fielding them.
I have a shortage of bases, so yesterday night I made six moulds of the base of the troll from Battle of Skull Pass. Tonight I am going to fill them with Milliput, and voila'!
If I keep painting at this rate the unit will be finished this week.

And how is your painting coming along?

Author:  SpellArcher [ Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

MasterOfNone wrote:
I am still very satisfied with the result.

You should be MON, it's excellent. The subtlety of the reds in particular is very impressive.

MasterOfNone wrote:
Next task: a unit of 8 trolls.

What kind of Trolls are they?

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

SpellArcher wrote:
What kind of Trolls are they?

The miniatures are stone trolls, but I am fielding them as normal.
Four are the Battle for Skull Pass plastic model.
The others are the old pot bellied troll with horns and beard, throwing a rock.
I have a single metal specimen of this and have made four clones in milliput using a blue stuff mould. I am keeping the metal master unpainted in case I want more.

I am doing them the traditional blue.

Author:  SpellArcher [ Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

MasterOfNone wrote:
Battle for Skull Pass plastic model.

Quite like these.

MasterOfNone wrote:
The others are the old pot bellied troll with horns and beard, throwing a rock.

I think I know the one. Looking forward to seeing the unit!

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Arachnarok complete

SpellArcher wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the unit!

Something went wrong and my last post was lost. Here it goes again.
While the unit is not yet ready, I have some progress updates from the few past days.

Day 1
Image
Image

Day 3 (forgot to take pictures on Day 2)
Image

Day 4
Image
Image

Author:  Prince of Spires [ Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

They're shaping up nicely. I wouldn't have been able to tell they are milliput clones if you hadn't mentioned it. And the bases are great as well. Enough going on to be interesting, but not so much that it detracts from the model. Good job!

As for my own painting...
:-6
:-({|=

;) I somehow never find the time to get them painted. Life's too busy with other things going on. Don't have kids would be my advise ;)

Rod

Author:  SpellArcher [ Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

Prince of Spires wrote:
They're shaping up nicely.

I agree. I can hear Peer Gynt playing in my head!

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

The trolls are done :)
It took a week longer than I expected after the initial progress, but it still took a very respectable two weeks to have the unit completely done, not bad.
Instead of posting more day-by-day images, I'll cut to the chase: the miniatures yesterday night, and after today's basing.

Image

Image

Image

Author:  Azaam [ Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

They look awesome !!! I really like your style.
And as you said, even if some of them have imperfections it's not distinguishable thanks to your paint job and their troll rough shapes.
And the base too is so great.


Just amazing !

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

Azaam wrote:
They look awesome !!! I really like your style.
And as you said, even if some of them have imperfections it's not distinguishable thanks to your paint job and their troll rough shapes.
And the base too is so great.


Just amazing !


You are too kind... they have not been painted with the greatest care.
They will still stand out in the O&G lineup though.

Next stop: warboss on boar (it will be a present for a friend's son), then I will take a break from O&G's.

Author:  Prince of Spires [ Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

I think the details have come out very well for milliput clones. I can't tell which is the original and which are clones. Of course, the rough shapes of the trolls help here. But I'm impressed. They do seem to have a specific grudge against dwarves ;)

MasterOfNone wrote:
It took a week longer than I expected after the initial progress, but it still took a very respectable two weeks to have the unit completely done, not bad.

The devil is in the details. Finishing up a model often takes as long as the base layers. But it's well worth it I think.

Let us know how they perform in a battle, once you have one.

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

Prince of Spires wrote:
Let us know how they perform in a battle, once you have one.


When work in the garage is done and some space becomes available I will be able to try one - a O&G vs HE game against myself.

Author:  SpellArcher [ Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

They're really striking MON, Trolls are so evocative.

Azaam wrote:
And the base too is so great.

Gives a good balance with the powerful blue I feel.

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

SpellArcher wrote:
They're really striking MON, Trolls are so evocative.

Azaam wrote:
And the base too is so great.

Gives a good balance with the powerful blue I feel.


Thanks SA.
Looking again I think they came out a bit too blue, slightly greyer would have been better but I am not going to repaint them, it is what it is.

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Trolls WIP

Yesterday I quickly painted an orc warboss I had lying unused in a box, to give as a birthday present to a friend's son.

Image

Image

Image

The base has since been flocked with moss from my garden.

Author:  Azaam [ Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Orc Warboss on Boar

Good job again Master.
I really like the style, especially how you used the color. It's not perfect transition but more like right colours used in the right places. That gives kinda comics style that works very well with this figurine. Very different from the previous monstruous spider you painted ! :D

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Orc Warboss on Boar

Azaam wrote:
Good job again Master.
I really like the style, especially how you used the color. It's not perfect transition but more like right colours used in the right places. That gives kinda comics style that works very well with this figurine. Very different from the previous monstruous spider you painted ! :D


You are right, I had not thought about it, but "comics style" describes well.
I guess the situation and end use had an influence on the paint job. I had little time to do it, and it was intended to be a present for an 8-year old boy, who will not discern between fine transitions and a bold colour scheme. The miniature will be trashed anyway... so I went for a fast painting approach.

Author:  SpellArcher [ Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Orc Warboss on Boar

That guy is an absolute unit.

Author:  Prince of Spires [ Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Orc Warboss on Boar

I think WH models in general, and especially O&G, lend themselves very well to a comics style painting. And this guy pulls it off very well. I'm sure any 8 year old (congrats by the way!) will be very happy to own this model. (and play with it and break it and come tell you to fix it again and so on...)

Author:  MasterOfNone [ Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A new painting blog - Orc Warboss on Boar

Thank you PoS and SA.
It was fun painting the latest miniature and while it was a good one I am happy I gave it away.
The kid will like it and I have a surplus of boars - nearly 30, with several heroes and two full command units - which playing 8th will likely not be used (how sad). So I won't miss this miniature.

Now I have moved on and my next task is my first frostie. I am quite excited and so far it is looking good!
I am finding this job easier than I expected. I might post some WIP pictures later.
On the note of phoenixes, I have two sets of body and wings, plus several sets of feathers and heads. One set of body + wings has been set aside to cast more, so I could easily make 2 flamespyres and 2 frosthearts.
With those and the dragon I already have, I could probably have more than needed even for a flying circus :lol:

Page 5 of 7 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/