Phoenix Guard: Scale of Metal vs Plastics

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

ArchmageEldroth

Phoenix Guard: Scale of Metal vs Plastics

#1 Post by ArchmageEldroth »

Hi all!

It's very encouraging to see signs of life on this forum - I remember spending too much of my life as a kid waiting for a 56k dial-up modem (!) to connect to the internet to read posts on Ulthuan.com and Portent. Many years later, with a lot more disposable income and a move to the UK uncovering my old collection, I finally have the resources to pull together a High Elf army - only to find The World That Was obliterated and the models moving out of production. Impeccable timing as always...

I have quite a dull and functional question for your collective knowledge.

I have a handful of the old-old Phoenix Guard models (from 5th edition?) kicking about in a box somewhere. Would anyone be able to tell me how they scale against the new plastic models? I see a lot of mentions of a "scale creep" happening over the years - would they look ridiculously out of place in the same unit?

Cheers for your help!
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: Phoenix Guard: Scale of Metal vs Plastics

#2 Post by Luna Guardian »

The old ones are smaller, but not by a huge margin. A bigger difference is the style of the models, the old and new just look notably different. I don't think anyone would honestly complain though, it is still obvious what they are :)

Might I suggest you look into Kings of War by Mantic Games? It is a miniature wargame by the guys who made Warhammer great once upon a time (like Alessio Cavatore) and runs way smoother and more balanced than Warhammer ever was. They're coming out with a new edition in a few months too, so that game is alive and well :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Archmage!
ArchmageEldroth wrote:models moving out of production
It is a pain but eBay and other places can be helpful.

I’m assuming, like Luna, that you mean the PG that lasted through 6th and 7th editions. The 4th Edition guys by Jes Goodwin were a bit different but not tiny. My own preference is to stick with one generation of model within a unit but maybe have other units from different times. All depends on how you like the resulting look though I guess.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#4 Post by Luna Guardian »

SpellArcher wrote:I’m assuming, like Luna, that you mean the PG that lasted through 6th and 7th editions.
I actually assumed he meant the old 4-5th edition ones, woth the big capes and all.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
ArchmageEldroth

#5 Post by ArchmageEldroth »

Thanks for the responses!

You guessed correctly - I was referring to the older metals below that look like they're wrapped in curtains:

I have a raft of 5th edition High Elf models that I was too nervous to ruin with a rubbish paint job when I was a kid - Silver Helms, Swordmasters and a handful of White Lions. I don't mind the newer plastics for the Phoenix Guard, and I'm weighing up whether the investment in tracking down a unit of those metal relics is worth it to negate the size discrepancy with the rest of a 5th ed-model-army.

I have been punishing my eBay watchlist - the Glade Guard plastics, for example, look like some brilliant stand-ins for archers. I'm considering a much bleaker paint-scheme than the traditional blue-and-white brigade.

I'm looking into both the 9th Age and Mantic rulesets, but the heartstrings still pull me back, particularly to 6th edition - probably a byproduct of playing so much Mordheim!
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#6 Post by Luna Guardian »

ArchmageEldroth wrote:I have been punishing my eBay watchlist - the Glade Guard plastics, for example, look like some brilliant stand-ins for archers.
You could check out my thread, I use the plastic Glade Guard as archers rather extensively with some modifications to make them slightly less "woodsy".

And hey, if you have friends who also like the 6th, then go for it man! It was a much happier time :lol:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Luna Guardian wrote:I actually assumed he meant the old 4-5th edition ones, woth the big capes and all.
Ah.

:)
ArchmageEldroth wrote:You guessed correctly - I was referring to the older metals below that look like they're wrapped in curtains:
They’re nicer than I remembered.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

They are pretty nice. Though I think one is supposed to be a seaguard. He's got a fish helmet, and in 4th they could have halberds.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

ArchmageEldroth wrote:I'm looking into both the 9th Age and Mantic rulesets, but the heartstrings still pull me back, particularly to 6th edition
I would personally go for the game you can find opponents for. At least, if you don't have a preference. At least for me, it's a lot easier to get exited about putting together models and terrain pieces if I know I might use them in a game at some point.

As for scale, they are quite a bit smaller then the 'current' models. I think you will notice the difference when you put them in a unit together. Though there are some ways you can mitigate this. The easiest solution is to add a little bit of height to the base of the model. Maybe some plasti-card or cork. It doesn't need to be a lot. Maybe 1 or 2 mm. Or, aim to have about the same number of models from both versions. That way, if you mix them, it will look more natural. If I remember, I'll see if I can get some pictures taken of models from different editions. I don't have any 4th ed or 8th ed phoenix guard. But I do have some models from these editions. So that should at least give you an idea.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.