After some advice for varnish

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elnarion

After some advice for varnish

#1 Post by Elnarion »

Greetings all.

I am just after some advice, as I have recently got back into painting again and tried to seal my models with a matt spray, however, it came out very glossy.

Does anyone have any good products to recommend for varnishing your prized troops? Even better, a spray to turn back time on my prince so he isn't as glossy?

Any advice would be welcome.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: After some advice for varnish

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi Elnarion

I don’t varnish and I suspect the other guys who’ve viewed this thread don’t either. I have a friend who might be able to shed some light so I’ll ask him and get back to you.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

What brand did you use? Some brands seem to think matt means semi gloss and flat means flat. It's not supposed to but...

A simple recomendation that will never fail you is testors dullcote. It's not the cheapest (it's not overly pricey either) but I can guarantee it'll come out flat.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Plus here’s what my friend (Kispal of this forum) had to say:
Kispal wrote:I see that someone has already recommended Testor's Dullcote. I've not tried it myself but this is the one that I hear everyone recommend. Easy to get hold of in the States, not so easy elsewhere. I use Humbrol Acrylic Matt spray as a 2nd coat over a first coat of glass (using any cheap artist gloss spray varnish). Now any again it can leave a very slightly satin finish but I think that's down to me either under- or over-applying and most of the time it dries absolutely dead flat. I'll attach a pic.

Depending on room temp and can temp, so-called 'frosting' can occur with all spray matt varnish. To avoid this, shake the living bejezus out of the can before use, always store it at room temp, and if you store it in a garage, stand it in a sink of warm water before using. (Do not, of course, warm it up next to a naked flame...)

Also, frosting is quite easily solved, I've found. Just use Humbrol matt ENAMEL from the bottle, diluted with enamel thinners (1:1), and brush it on very VERY lightly, almost with a drybrushing motion. Let it dry and do it again if necessary but eventually the frosting will disappear and you'll be left with a mostly flat, slightly satin finish. Much better than having to stare at the frosting.

Here's a cool vid from Footsore I found just the other day actually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi7gY_LGr-g
He added that shaking the can sufficiently and being measured about the spraying help to ensure your matt finish doesn’t become glossy.
Elnarion

#5 Post by Elnarion »

@Spellarcher: That is some very good advice, and I really appreciate you getting back to me. I will try and source that Humbrol Acrylic Matt spray I think. Thanks to your friend about the additional info. To be honest I pretty much never varnish, but thought I would for my Tyrion model, as it's the first High Elf I have painted in years, and low and behold, it didn't come out matt!

@Shannar, Sealord: Thanks for the advice. Being in Australia, I'm not sure how easy it will be to source testors dullcote, but it is good to have a few options. Good info on the semi-gloss, I just assumed matt meant matt, but there you go.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Elnarion wrote:Spellarcher: That is some very good advice, and I really appreciate you getting back to me. I will try and source that Humbrol Acrylic Matt spray I think. Thanks to your friend about the additional info. To be honest I pretty much never varnish, but thought I would for my Tyrion model, as it's the first High Elf I have painted in years, and low and behold, it didn't come out matt!
You’re welcome Elnarion. It seems varnishing is not always a straightforward business!