MatRat's High Elf painting log

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

MatRat

MatRat's High Elf painting log

#1 Post by MatRat »

Thought I'd start a running log of my high elf painting progress, to help keep me motivated. I currently have a lot in my queue, here's the list:
  • 16 Spearmen (plastic): 8 painted
  • 15 Lothern Sea Guard (plastic): 0 painted
  • 8 Archers (plastic): 3 painted
  • 5 Ellyrian Reavers (plastic): 0 painted
  • 40 White Lions (metal): 11 painted
  • 23 Swordmasters (metal): 10 painted
  • 20 Phoenix Guard (metal): 5 painted
  • 20 Shadow Warriors (metal): 0 painted
  • 5 Dragon Princes (metal): 0 painted
  • 1 Great Eagle (metal): unpainted
  • Loremaster of Hoeth (plastic): unpainted
  • Tyrion (metal): unpainted
  • Korhil (metal): unpainted
  • Caradryan (metal): unpainted
  • Eltherion (metal; on Griffin); unpainted
  • 2 High Elf Heroes on Foot (metal; one with sword / shield and the other with ax / shield); unpainted
  • Prince on Griffin (plastic; IoB): unpainted
My plan is to do one unit at a time, so as not to have too many "WIP" units going at once

White Lions:

Last edited by MatRat on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MatRat

Re: MatRat's High Elf painting log

#2 Post by MatRat »

I recognize I already have enough models in my inventory to last me a good deal of time before I finish them, but I'd love to paint up a great dragon model as a centerpiece for my army. There are a lot of potential models out there, and I've tried to come up with a few "guidelines" on choosing the best one for my needs:
  • Price: As this would be a centerpiece for my army I don’t expect to find the model on the cheap, and I anticipate something in the range of $50 - $150.
  • Pose: Not necessarily looking for a dynamic pose – this is moreso about how good the model looks overall.
  • Size: Oddly enough, this is a big one for me – some of the models out there are just too big for my liking. Generally looking for something that’s 6 in tall or smaller
  • Character: I think of “character” as the overall ability to use the model in a High-elf themed army. This is pretty binary – either the model works thematically or it doesn’t
  • Material: Essentially, metal vs. plastic vs. resin kits. This is less of a consideration for me, unless it means sacrificing a certain level of detail on the model.
Now, with those established, here's the short list of some of the models I've considered. Please feel free to suggest others!

Battle Wyvern (Shieldwolf Miniatures; €70 + 0 Shipping) - http://www.shieldwolfminiatures.com/ind ... duct_id=90
Checks all the boxes for me – good looking resin model, middle of the road price, nice size, could have a nice high-elf feel when painted in the right color scheme. One potential downside is the lack of any “scales” on the model – not a deal breaker by any means, but scales would feel a bit more thematically appropriate (and potentially also easier to paint).

Elmore Dragon # 5 (Dark Sword Miniatures; $100 + $5 Shipping) - https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/sho ... ragon.html
Another model that ticks off many of the boxes for me – a very handsome model with a stately pose (feels very appropriate thematically). On the larger side for my criteria, and made of metal (2 pound model!).

The Dragon (Heresy Miniatures; £350) - http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=260
I’ll say right out that this one is outside of my price range. However, it is a great looking model and came with an amazing story (a “tale of woe” as stated on the site) associated with the figure

PARAWN, DRAIGLLAI OF IDRIS (Mierce Miniatures; £76) - http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php? ... bs_531_000
Good looking model with a dynamic pose. Not sure that it fits quite as much thematically, but I do quite like that you can buy the parts a la carte (good conversion potential)

Carmine Dragon (Forge World; £64 + £10 Shipping) - https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Carm ... id=5471818
Another great dynamic pose, but again I’m left with the feeling this isn’t quite what I’m looking for thematically speaking. It’s also taller than I’d like (8”)

Emperor Dragon (Creature Caster; $93 + $20 Shipping) - https://www.creaturecaster.com/products/emperordragon
I really like the pose / feel of this model, but again it’s a bit taller than I’d prefer (8.5” tall)
Last edited by MatRat on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

That Emperor Dragon steals the show, with the Forge World Carmine Dragon a close second (its also cheaper and would probable scale the best so I'd go for that one I think).
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Sirio

#4 Post by Sirio »

Very detailed summary and very cool models all around.

Your pricings are wrong though, you should include shipping charges too as they tend to make a noticable difference.
MatRat

#5 Post by MatRat »

@Sirio -

Thanks for pointing that out - clearly that's a consideration for total price. I've added shipping info to my original post.

@RE.Lee -

Agree that the Emperor Dragon is a really fantastic model. Personally it's top three for me (in no particular order: Emperor Dragon, Battle Wyvern, and Elmore Dragon). For me, its biggest downside is really the large size (though it does seem to have a fairly small base). I do also like the Carmine dragon, but part of me feels it's just too sinister looking as a centerpiece for a high elf army
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

From those I would go for the carmine dragon I think. I've seen some pictures of the done model and it's a great kit. Some of the very sinister pieces you could greenstuff away.

Have you considered the High Elf dragon model? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Hi ... -on-Dragon (note, it also comes with a prince rider, not just the archmage). By far the cheapest of the models. It works great in a HE army and it's a lovely and versatile set.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
MatRat

#7 Post by MatRat »

@Prince of Spires - I did consider the GW dragon model - it just didn't feel like something that I could turn into a centerpiece in its own right.

Thinking about my next project - I have a unit of partially painted spearmen on my desk but I will probably work on them here and there in between more interesting projects (they are the plastic models with big hands, and really don't inspire much excitement to paint).

I still have a few nearly finished phoenix guard, so I'm thinking I can finish those off while building a few more to flesh out a unit. In painting these, I took a pretty dramatic departure from my blue and white color scheme. I had seen a really cool flaming phoenix guard unit somewhere, and really wanted to replicate the paint scheme, even if it didn't match my theme:

The model on the right was my initial test model, and you can see that I changed up a few things to my next batch (I had initially tried to paint the halberd steel NMM as a sort of 40K power weapon - it didn't look quite right so instead I tried a TMM approach with some red tints on the metal). I like the idea of building two distinct types of phoenix guard units - one a sort of "keepers of the red flame" (basically what I've already started) and another as the "keepers of the blue flame" sort of theme (can incorporate more blue for these ones)
RE.Lee

#8 Post by RE.Lee »

Striking colour scheme - the rusty red really makes them pop an you've managed to achieve great depth with the cloaks! =D>
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like them. The red color scheme makes them very warm and fiery. And the bronze armour works great. I actually like the blue "power weapon" blade of the right PG model. I do feel it helps tie them in with the rest of your force. I'm looking forward to how the unit will turn out.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

MatRat wrote:really don't inspire much excitement to paint
I chose my next army on the basis of “If I don’t want to paint it, it doesn’t get in.”
MatRat wrote:I like the idea of building two distinct types of phoenix guard
Gaming-wise double PG sounds awesome!
Prince of Spires wrote:I actually like the blue "power weapon" blade of the right PG model.
Me too but I think painting the halberd shaft a more neutral colour would work better. Too much immediate contrast as is IMHO.
RE.Lee

#11 Post by RE.Lee »

MatRat wrote:I like the idea of building two distinct types of phoenix guard
Gaming-wise double PG sounds awesome!
[/quote]
Shadow Guard!
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#12 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:I actually like the blue "power weapon" blade of the right PG model.
Me too but I think painting the halberd shaft a more neutral colour would work better. Too much immediate contrast as is IMHO.
You're probably right. The shaft now blends in to the model a bit too much and has slightly too much contrast with the blade.

Check out my plog

MatRat

#13 Post by MatRat »

RE.Lee wrote:Striking colour scheme - the rusty red really makes them pop an you've managed to achieve great depth with the cloaks! =D>
Thanks - given the amount of time and effort it took to paint the cloaks, I'm glad to hear the effect paid off!
SpellArcher wrote:
MatRat wrote:really don't inspire much excitement to paint
I chose my next army on the basis of “If I don’t want to paint it, it doesn’t get in.”
Totally agree with your approach to choosing an army - I'm in this for the modeling / painting aspect, and the first thing I look for is models that look good.
SpellArcher wrote:
This was more or less my initial reaction on the spears as well and why I chose to move away from the painting scheme. The other reason has to do with the unit that inspired my overall paint scheme, which was more or less a "flaming" version of what I produced. I've never worked with greenstuff before, so I was initially hesitant to try to replicate the effect of modelling flames onto the models. This time around I decided to do a test run of how that would look on the halberds. I've done only one so far, and boy did it take a fair bit of time (but it's seems likely something that becomes easier with time):

Also for reference, here's the original concept that I was working from - while I don't intend to replicate it fully, I really like the original idea of conveying the idea of a flame that burns but does not consume:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#14 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I like the effect on individual models. A lot. I'm not sure how it works as a unit though. It's to easy to just see orange and move on, meaning a lot of work that doesn't really get seen.
RE.Lee

#15 Post by RE.Lee »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I like the effect on individual models. A lot. I'm not sure how it works as a unit though. It's to easy to just see orange and move on, meaning a lot of work that doesn't really get seen.
I think I agree. Making the flame a contrasting colour (blue/green) would achieve a more stunning result. Still, impressive green-stuffing on the original unit and you're halberd :wink:
cheers, Lee

MatRat

#16 Post by MatRat »

Interesting thoughts - I’ll admit that I hadn’t even considered that POV, though I can totally see how it could easily become a big blob of orange when in formation... Blue or green flames could also be an option (possibly also a purple). Looks like I may need to do a few test models with the different color options to see how they would look in comparison.
RE.Lee

#17 Post by RE.Lee »

Looking forward to seeing those test models!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#18 Post by SpellArcher »

Have to say I love the effect but I'm a sucker for fiery stuff!

:)

Be interesting to see that unit in the context of an army.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#19 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm on the fence.

The unit is impressive. But that is because I, like SA, like fiery stuff. And also because I know how much work the greenstuffing can be.

On the other hand, I can't help think that the unit in the picture would have been more impressive with a bit more contrast in it. Either a different colour flame or a different colour armour. Both would do the trick. I would change the armour if it would make matching with the rest of my army easier (to something relatively simple like silver / metal). Otherwise I would change the flames. Probably indeed towards blue (or green). Blue could work nicely if you're also planning to add in a frostheart phoenix. They could tie together using the blue.

Rod

Check out my plog

MatRat

#20 Post by MatRat »

Prince of Spires wrote:I'm on the fence.

The unit is impressive. But that is because I, like SA, like fiery stuff. And also because I know how much work the greenstuffing can be.

On the other hand, I can't help think that the unit in the picture would have been more impressive with a bit more contrast in it. Either a different colour flame or a different colour armour. Both would do the trick. I would change the armour if it would make matching with the rest of my army easier (to something relatively simple like silver / metal). Otherwise I would change the flames. Probably indeed towards blue (or green). Blue could work nicely if you're also planning to add in a frostheart phoenix. They could tie together using the blue.

Rod
I'm still on the fence as well - I really like the concept of introducing a "flaming" aspect to these models, but at the same time I see how it can negatively impact their look. One possible "compromise" that I've thought of is to maybe model greenstuff flames for select command group models or characters that would be designed to join the unit. At the moment I think I'm leaning towards a blue flame to help bring these models closer to the overall army colors, but still haven't done any test models

The timing of your second suggestion (using a different color armor) is somewhat coincidental, as I just actually spent some time working on an alternative NMM color scheme for these Phoenix Guard, though as you'll see in the pics that follow, I think I was a bit too ambitious in my pallette (which I found on a painting blog of someone who has some serious painting skills - reference pic of their results is the first one below):

Step 1: Basecoat Mournfang Brown + light wash of Agrax Earthshade

Step 2: Layer with mix of Mournfang Brown / Lothern Blue / Dawnstone

Step 3: Layer with more Lothern Blue in mixture

Step 4: Highlights with White added (mostly just Lothern Blue / Ceramite White at this point)

I realized probably halfway through the mid-tones that I just wasn't going to get the effect I was hoping for, but decided to push through anyway. Now I'm stuck wondering whether I just need to trash the idea or if there's anything that can be done to salvage it. Maybe there's a way to glaze with black and get an effect of black steel, or maybe I can glaze the whole thing with a metal medium to try to turn this into a TMM effect. Any suggestions?
RE.Lee

#21 Post by RE.Lee »

While the reference model is simply Golden Daemon quality I think your take on the effect is very nice. I all depends on whether you think the effort is worth it on a ranked unit as opposed to a character.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#22 Post by Prince of Spires »

I quite like it actually. A thing to keep in mind with your practice model is that he isn't done yet. There are still the non-metal parts to paint, which on this model is a lot, with the cape, skirt and sleeves. Do those in a light or contrasting color (I would go for a warm off-white personally) and suddenly the armour will pop. And it might give you the look you're actually going for.

I agree with RE that it also depends on how much effort you want to put into a ranked unit.

Rod

Check out my plog

MatRat

#23 Post by MatRat »

RE.Lee wrote:While the reference model is simply Golden Daemon quality I think your take on the effect is very nice. I all depends on whether you think the effort is worth it on a ranked unit as opposed to a character.
Fair enough - I'm not too intimidated by the effort component. This model took about the same amount of effort as the red paint scheme on my other PG.
Prince of Spires wrote:I quite like it actually. A thing to keep in mind with your practice model is that he isn't done yet. There are still the non-metal parts to paint, which on this model is a lot, with the cape, skirt and sleeves. Do those in a light or contrasting color (I would go for a warm off-white personally) and suddenly the armour will pop. And it might give you the look you're actually going for.

I agree with RE that it also depends on how much effort you want to put into a ranked unit.

Rod
I suppose I've been a little quick to judge here when there's quite a bit left to paint. I'll hold off and see how everything looks with a bit more paint on it.

Here's a few quick WIP shots of painted flames on the halberds - one in blue and the other a more natural flame. The blue still needs 1/2 more layers of dark blue on the tips along with some washes to establish a more bright flame at the base, but you can see where it's going:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#24 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Individually I like the orange. in the group I think it'll be the blue.