Painting again

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Painting again

#181 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's funny how that works. Some models are for an inexplicable reason just a grind to put together and / or paint. And others are done before you even realize it. And I've not really found a conclusive reason why this is or which model goes into what category.

I really liked the lion chariot. But that might be because I find it less silly then most people. On the other hand, my phoenix guard took me forever to finish, as did my dragon princes. I think I spend a year on each of those. Not sure why, because I like the PG models, and love using them in game. Perhaps for me it's simply that I need to finish the unit fast if I start it. If somehow I get distracted (by real life for instance) then projects just start dragging along.

And the goblins, they're just sneaky little buggers. They just somehow appear and demand attention... ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#182 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I have stormwing about 80% done and have just realized that it would be cool if the lion part was a white lion. Crap.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#183 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#184 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I have stormwing about 80% done and have just realized that it would be cool if the lion part was a white lion. Crap.
Yeah, that sounds like the sort of thing you want to realize 60% earlier...

He looks good. Though I'm not a big fan of the white + brown feathers on the sides of his legs. It's a bit an awkward transition for me.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#185 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

That's weird. They do look brown. I swear that I used grey in that area. I'm going to have to take a look at it again later.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#186 Post by SpellArcher »

He’s very characterful.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#187 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

His rider is taking longer than I wanted. As is that cannon crew. Each keeps distracting me from the other, but not in the productive way that it usually works.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#188 Post by Luna Guardian »

I am actually quite partial to the classic Eltharion on Stormwing model, it has the lovely cartooney aesthetic while still being crisp and detailed. I think yours is coming along nicely and can't wait to see him all done :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#189 Post by Prince of Spires »

Yeah, it's a great model indeed. It has aged very well. The earliest appearance of the model I can find is 1993. Which makes it 25 years old. I think at some point (just before the end times) it was one of the oldest models still on sale by GW. I've got mine assembled somewhere as well. And looking forward to painting it at some point.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#190 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

93 should be right, it came out for 4th edition. It went away for a bit for 6th edition, but then came back. Much like Telcis (only he came back in finecast).
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#191 Post by SpellArcher »

Will you use him as the Special Character Shannar?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#192 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, he and Grom WILL have a 4th edition battle. But most of the time no. At least not until the IoB one gets painted.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#193 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Wanted to finish today (except the base, I've a few other that can be done at the same time- once they are finished that is). It's close.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#194 Post by Prince of Spires »

He's getting there. A few more highlights (from what I can see at least) and Eltharion should be good to go :) He looks great. The fairly simple color scheme works really well on him. And I like the base (or rather, where it's going to). The few schrubs and rock add some visual appeal without going overboard.

And I group my basing projects together as well :) it's a lot more efficient to do a lot of them in one go.

Looking good :) So, gogogo! finish him! ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#195 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

bit of highlighting, and a pennant for his lance. It's one of those models where I could go more complicated, but it would make him look worse.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#196 Post by SpellArcher »

That is a serious helmet crest.

:)

I like your naturalistic style on these Shannar.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#197 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Elitharian is done, along with a few old WL, a mage, and 6 sea elf wardancers. But I can't spray them until we get rid os some of this humidity. Haven't decided if I'll base all that right away or wait in until the sea elf unit is done.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#198 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I based some things. I've cleaned the bases and painted the edges black, but I took these pictures first. I had pictures to do, and the photo setup was in the way of my chair for painting. So rather than put it away, finish these, and get it back out I simply took pictures of nearly finished models.

I've shown most of these here before. But the one on the left is new. And rather than pretending the broken haliberd was a spear I turned it into a standard. I also put them all on bases, so they can have magnets for transport/storage.

4th Edition White Lions. Mostly it's just that I decided to use this command for them, the others have been shown before.

Sea Elf Wardancers.

A Mage for the Sea Elves. And a familiar/unit filler depending on need.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#199 Post by SpellArcher »

Some great stuff here Shannar, Eltharion is quite striking.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I've shown most of these here before.
Seriously old school.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Sea Elf Wardancers.
3rd edition for the win! Or were they even in the original Ravening Hordes?
Shannar, Sealord wrote:A Mage for the Sea Elves.
Lovely, smooth paint job.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#200 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I've got a 90 day painting break coming up while we're in switzerland again. I'm hoping I can finish the Sea Elves and a mage on unicorn (likely) and maybe my mordheim Amazons (highly unlikely) before then. But, looking back over this thread it's been a fairly successful year of painting. More goblins and less elves than planned, but still a lot got done.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#201 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:But, looking back over this thread it's been a fairly successful year of painting.
Very much so.

=D>
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#202 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: More goblins and less elves than planned
The little gits get everywhere and manage to mess up the best laid plans... Is there actually a goblin mordheim list?

90 days is one of those interesting periods. It feels very long at the start. But it's passed before you notice. At least, for my work that's very often the case. We make plans for 3 months, which feels like a long period. But at the end we're happy if we managed to complete half of those.

And I agree that you've had a very productive year so far.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#203 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

This should have been a sea elf update. They are coming along well, but I got distracted.

Mordheim Halfling Thief

Should I make the swap? The mage on the ground it the alternate mini to the one that usually goes in the chariots.

About 6.5 years ago I was almost completely out of the hobby. But I decided before I sold things I could paint up Berterand, because I've always liked that model. I recently found a deal on him and his friends, so I did them again. This time it didn't take nearly as long. And while this photo doesn't really show it fully, the difference is even greater than I expected. But, I also noticed that I'm no longer pushing myself hard to improve with each and every mini. Might need to work on that. I think my painting has gotten pretty good, but I also thing there is room to improve. Bases have yet to be done on the new ones, but you get the point.

RE.Lee

#204 Post by RE.Lee »

Love the Halfling!

I wouldn't swap the Charioteer - the original one is great.

The Merry Men sure bring back memories :D
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#205 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

RE.Lee wrote: I wouldn't swap the Charioteer - the original one is great.
The one in the chariot is an alternate wood elf mage that I'm using with my sea elves. I've been told a fairly rare one. I found it on ebay for $3. The crazy collectors are bothered that I cut the tab off haha. There is also one where she has the hood down, and normal hair instead of a mohawk. I've never see that one outside of a catalogue though.
RE.Lee

#206 Post by RE.Lee »

The collectors market is crazy out there! I started in 5th and it's what I consider "classic" but that is so untrue! :lol:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#207 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
RE.Lee wrote: I wouldn't swap the Charioteer - the original one is great.
The one in the chariot is an alternate wood elf mage that I'm using with my sea elves. I've been told a fairly rare one. I found it on ebay for $3. The crazy collectors are bothered that I cut the tab off haha. There is also one where she has the hood down, and normal hair instead of a mohawk. I've never see that one outside of a catalogue though.
Should have said that it's an alternate TO the mage I'm using with my sea elves.

I've grown really fond of the old elves again back in the day I was impressed with the "new" stuff of 4th and 5th and neglected the ones from before a bit.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#208 Post by SpellArcher »

Very nice Shannar.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:But, I also noticed that I'm no longer pushing myself hard to improve with each and every mini.
I can relate to that.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:There is also one where she has the hood down, and normal hair instead of a mohawk.
Intriguing.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#209 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

For the last week and a half we've had a couple extra kids around. As you'll see, this meant there were a lot of little girls, and one boy. Anyway I figured it was time for Heroquest. About 7 games in the 4 year old decided she no longer wanted to "help" Zargon (me) and "probably just needs my own character" So I made up a halfling for her.

From left to right: Olafina, Alfie, Syrup (His brother Waffles died heroically in the the first quest), Violet, and Pink Lemonade.

They won't see each other again until Thanksgiving, but they are already talking about the next quest.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#210 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Pink Lemonade
=D>