Painting again

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Painting again

#121 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

A bunch more goblins painted, tomorrow I will put them on the bases.

Grom isn't done yet, but here is a new wip

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#122 Post by SpellArcher »

It's Niblet's show isn't it?

:)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#123 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, I just picked up two deals. A bits lot that I THINK has everything I need for a third attack chariot, along with some other nice old elves. I might be short a side. I'll know when it gets here I guess. And a very large warmaster High Elf army. I'm satisfied with the price I paid on both, but annoyed at myself for destroying my painting progress....
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#124 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: I might be short a side.
That's what instant mold is for :)

The warmaster army sounds epic. I've never played it. But from what I've seen the armies look massive and somehow (because of the smaller size) bigger then most Wh armies. Also, it must be great fun making terrain for warmaster armies.

And you have to make sure you don't run out of models to paint / assemble. So it's always a good idea to buy more. ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#125 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm excited enough about it that I'm starting work on the couple of units that I have. repairing spears on those is a major pain. I'm also pretty sure I have some reavers and helms, but I don't know where. It's a really good game for big battles. They really should have made Warhammer more like AoS (or kept it more like 4th/5th) and used warmaster as the big battle game. We used to play a fair bit, but I never got around to having my own army.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#126 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:They really should have made Warhammer more like AoS (or kept it more like 4th/5th) and used warmaster as the big battle game.
I actually think they got it right with the Lord of the Rings games. There they had (have) both a great skirmish game and a version for massive battles. Though I've never played either game, I've read good things about them. And I do have the rules lying around and they look fun.

I really wish they had done something similar with WH. With a game one step up from Mordheim in size but keeping WH for larger battles.

I'm looking forward to the pictures once you get the models :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#127 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:A bits lot that I THINK has everything I need for a third attack chariot,
=D>
Prince of Spires wrote:The warmaster army sounds epic.
I agree, always loved the look of it but no prospect of opponents where I was. I’ve just picked up some Snotlings (metal!) at GW and I can’t help noticing they’re Warmaster size!
Prince of Spires wrote:I really wish they had done something similar with WH. With a game one step up from Mordheim in size but keeping WH for larger battles.
I used to enjoy the distinction between Warhammer as the battle game and early 40K as the skirmish game. But I remember from historicals the potential of smaller scales for a truly massed battles game.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#128 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:I used to enjoy the distinction between Warhammer as the battle game and early 40K as the skirmish game. But I remember from historicals the potential of smaller scales for a truly massed battles game.
That's true indeed. Warhammer models are such a size that you quickly run out of room if you're trying to go over 4000pts a side. Of course, the rules start to fall apart as well above a certain points level I think. But that's a "minor detail" and fixable compared to simply not having room for movement or tactics of any kind.

I would love playing battles on such a scale. But indeed, no opponents.

Rod

Check out my plog

Elugin

#129 Post by Elugin »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:They really should have made Warhammer more like AoS (or kept it more like 4th/5th) and used warmaster as the big battle game.
I really wish they had done something similar with WH. With a game one step up from Mordheim in size but keeping WH for larger battles.
What was that? Perhaps 6th ed. when they included in the base rulebook rules for a Mordheim-like skirmish game.
Stargazer. Master of the Deep Sky.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#130 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I don't remember it being in the main rulebook, but Warhammer Skirmish was a 6th edition thing.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#131 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I finished and took pictures of a bunch of NG a couple days ago. I need to remember to post them.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#132 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I don't remember it being in the main rulebook, but Warhammer Skirmish was a 6th edition thing.
Sounds pretty awesome. I know GW also had warbands rules for <500pts armies. They had them on their site in PDF form before they dropped everything not shopping related from their site. I might actually have them stored somewhere. I'll take a look around in the various places I tend to store files. I really should organize my stuff better. But who has the time...

As mentioned, I have read the LOTR game rules and they seem great. Lots of options for skirmish style play and enough focus on individual models and actions. O well. If only...

Anyway, looking forward to the pictures.

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#133 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

First some pictures. Mostly just fairly random things that will serve in either my NG or O&G warband, as well as the slowly building goblin army.

Now for one of the deals that I couldn't pass on despite my intention not to buy things until more is painted. All this for $25. And I was wrong about the chariot, it's not everything I needed to complete one. It's complete. So I still have about half of one in the bits box. If I greenstuff/instamold the sides I could pretty easily do a 4th one.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#134 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Seems I fogot to bend the banner a bit. Weird the things we forget in the excitement of being "done".
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#135 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:First some pictures.
Dark and moody. It's grim in those caves!

:)
Shannar, Sealord wrote:All this for $25.
Some stand-out figures there.
Shannar, Sealord wrote: I could pretty easily do a 4th one.
You know it makes sense Shannar.
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

#136 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I don't remember it being in the main rulebook, but Warhammer Skirmish was a 6th edition thing.
Sounds pretty awesome. I know GW also had warbands rules for <500pts armies. They had them on their site in PDF form...
https://rpg.rem.uz/Warhammer/Fantasy/Ar ... 6ed%29.pdf
This thing?
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#137 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote: I could pretty easily do a 4th one.
You know it makes sense Shannar.
Well I was looking over my 3rd edition armies book again last night. I've always thought war wains were 0-3 for high elves (and never cared to use more than one really). Turns out they are 0-4.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#138 Post by Prince of Spires »

That indeed looks like a deal to good to pass up. All those old metal figures for $25 is a great find. Especially with how I suspect your bit-box looks like which should supplement whatever pieces are missing.

Nice looking goblins. Dark, grim and whacky, it's how they're supposed to look. My favorites are the squigs. They're weird and colorful, but in a realistic sort of way. They look better then the usual cartoony bright squigs you often see. I like them a lot.
Malhandir's Feed wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:
Sounds pretty awesome. I know GW also had warbands rules for <500pts armies. They had them on their site in PDF form...
https://rpg.rem.uz/Warhammer/Fantasy/Ar ... 6ed%29.pdf
This thing?
That thing is indeed what I meant. I've saved it just to be sure I have it lying around somewhere. Thanks for the link. I'll have a read through them again. But I think the rules should still work using 8th edition army books instead of 6th edition ones.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#139 Post by Luna Guardian »

You can't get anything close to that for 25$ here, great find! Looking forwards to seeing what you do with them :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

#140 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Malhandir's Feed wrote: https://rpg.rem.uz/Warhammer/Fantasy/Ar ... 6ed%29.pdf
This thing?
That thing is indeed what I meant. I've saved it just to be sure I have it lying around somewhere. Thanks for the link. I'll have a read through them again. But I think the rules should still work using 8th edition army books instead of 6th edition ones.
I think individual army rules are the only things that don't work super well with it. Enough is assumable about what's ok and what isn't. I will say though, they were smart to disallow chariots. Those things would tear through a small army, especially our lion chariot.
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#141 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

It was an ebay buy in now with AWFUL pictures. I was amazed to discover the chariot was complete, I couldn't tell if it had both sides, the accessories or the wheel scythes. Who lists a full chariot as bits? At lot of the other things I wouldn't have been able to tell if I wasn't so up to speed on old Elf models.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#142 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Turns out they are 0-4.
Written in the stars!
Prince of Spires wrote:That thing is indeed what I meant.
I remember quite a few skirmish articles in WD during 6th.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Who lists a full chariot as bits?
I once got a Lord of Change and lots of Horrors very cheap because they weren't listed as such, just 'Warhammer Demons'.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#143 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The funny thing is in picture on the listing the spears on those elven heros weren't broken. But everything came in a plastic bag inside a cardboard envelope. Of course they broke. But honestly I was happy enough with the deal that I wasn't even all that annoyed.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#144 Post by SpellArcher »

It was a great deal. I had a few spear bends on something similarly packaged recently but luckily no breakages.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#145 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm not sure what to do with the fairly large pile of warhawk bodies. I might use a couple of the heads for beastman conversions. And if anyone needs that eagle wing (or some warhawk bodies) it's yours for postage (which means people in the US or crazy people only).
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#146 Post by Luna Guardian »

Damn, us EU people are getting shafted again. Luna needs his bitz!
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#147 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'd be happy to mail them to you, but postage is a minimum of $15. It's nuts.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#148 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Who lists a full chariot as bits?
Someone who doesn't really know what they're selling and consequently doens't really know the value. If you haven't been in the hobby in the past 20 or so years and find a box with bits somewhere at your parent place. You have no clue what exactly everything is other then "warhammer stuff" so you just throw it on ebay and you're happy with whatever some fool wants to pay for it.

You need to get lucky a bit with these kinds of lots. But there's some great finds out there every now and then.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#149 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well. No third chariot. I just traded it for a near complete copy of heroquest. The kids and the neices are about the right age for that so I couldn't pass.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#150 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice! I loved that game as a kid. Though I probably played it all wrong it was awesome.

It's actually not too expensive on ebay. Though my parents will probably have it lying around somewhere. So perhaps I'll check there first. :)

My kids are still too young for it though. I'll give them a few more years ;)

Rod

Check out my plog