Painting again

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Painting again

#421 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Here are some of the pictures. I need a redo a few more though. I gave up on the sun, and it only worked out on some.

Spearmen for the growing middlehammer army.

A duelist for Mordheim (eventually she'll be part of a pirate warband, maybe)

5 scouts for the sea elf army

I've also got 2 archers that finish up the merchant company, and another sea elf bolt thrower. But those photos were blurry.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#422 Post by SpellArcher »

These look great Shannar, especially the Spear block!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#423 Post by Prince of Spires »

Very lovely indeed. The spearmen block has a nice old-school feel to it. Not just the monopose models, but also the red-green paint-scheme.

Were those the original shields?
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#424 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

A little over half the shields are original. The rest are greenstuff copies. From 4th edition on I think white robes work really well, but I don't think that means the shields need to be white.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#425 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Finished some treemen, and took the opportunity to take some photo of the stuff that got left out last time.

Sea Elf Scouts

I was going to avoid repeats in the collection unless really necessary. But RBTs are to good to have just one, and the newer versions look odd with the sea elf army

The last MM81 archer, and a MM80 archer to bring the merchant company archer half to 10.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#426 Post by SpellArcher »

I have a lot of these models Shannar.

:)

You’ve actually added arrows here, not just bowstrings?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#427 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Yep, if they clearly have a drawn bow they get an arrow. I'm running short though, so I'm going to have to come up with another plan.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#428 Post by SpellArcher »

Admirable attention to detail.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#429 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Working on the everqueen (the real one, not her ugly little sister), so I might not get a mini a day done this month. I've decided to try to really go all out on her.

I did finish this. 2 options for the horses because 5e is weird. I realized as I was doing pictures that I forgot the bow string, so it only shows up in one picture.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#430 Post by Prince of Spires »

Having two sets of horses is fun! I like that they're very different. Did the chariot have an armoured and unarmoured option in 5th?

Very lovely model. I like the fresh color scheme. The only thing that doesn't work for me is the yellow sun (I think that's what it is) in the middle of the front of the chariot. It could just be the picture, but it looks like a yellow blob to me.
Shannar, Sealord wrote: I realized as I was doing pictures that I forgot the bow string, so it only shows up in one picture.
:lol: :D

I think I only noticed it because you mentioned it ;) Though it must be said that the spare bow on the side of the chariot also doesn't have a bowstring...

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#431 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ja, the ones in the quiver are an issue I'm going to have to figure out before I do my seaguard.

This might be the last thing I finish before January.

The chariots so far. I have at least one more plastic one, maybe two. If it's two there will be another lion chariot.

The everqueen is coming along well. Not perfect, and I will put her on my list to pick another one up when I find her cheap. But so far I've not objections to using her in my army, and it's been a good way to try out some things I wouldn't normally do.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#432 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice collection of chariots! It does show that the elves of yore knew how to fit scythes to chariot wheels. Knowledge now sadly lost in the depths of time... ;)

I like the noble. I do think he's trying to compensate for something with the size of that helmet. ;)

And the Everqueen is looking great. It's a lovely model. And I really like the green, white and gold scheme you've used. It showcases the model instead of it being all about the painting. I've never tried running the Everqueen in my army, but I think she should be fun. And although you can build a pretty strong list with her, she's no one-man (woman...) army. So you should be fine.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#433 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote: And the Everqueen is looking great. It's a lovely model. And I really like the green, white and gold scheme you've used. It showcases the model instead of it being all about the painting. I've never tried running the Everqueen in my army, but I think she should be fun. And although you can build a pretty strong list with her, she's no one-man (woman...) army. So you should be fine.

Rod
I'm trying to be as faithful as possible to the drawing of her in the 5th edition rulebook, I even added a heart with greenstuff. They don't show well, but I've even done small red squares on the green lines. I might need to hit those with white, and then red again so they show a little better. I also did the white working up from a brown instead of the usual grey, I figured she should be a bit warmer, and I think it's worked. Still have to do eyes, flesh tones and more work on the staff. My freehands are passable, but have room for improvement. I'm also not really pleased with her hair. I'm wondering if I didn't strip the model well enough, or perhaps the primer got a bit grainy in the hair and I didn't notice. But, freehands and long blonde hair are things I will practice more.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#434 Post by Prince of Spires »

I now have to go and dig out my 5th ed. rulebook. If only I remembered where I'd put it... ;)

I think you managed to hit your goal pretty well. Some details could perhaps be fleshed out a bit more. But overall I think it works very well. As for freehand, the only way to improve there is to practice lots. Though yours already looks a lot better than anything I get done on a model.

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#435 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Progressing. Still fairly happy with her, and her friends. There will be a bit of freehand required on the maiden guard. This is not going to be a speedy unit haha.

And I'd really like to finish it. I picked up the last of the MM81 high elves I was looking for, and the last lancer as well. I'd really like to get going on those units...

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#436 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:the drawing of her in the 5th edition rulebook
Wonderful artwork.

I like that you’ve kept her bright Shannar, she should almost emit light.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#437 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Basing has begun on the Everqueen/Maiden Guard.

I also finished this up. Not my favorite Mordheim model by any means, but it is a Mordheim Model. I'm not one to get worked up about this sort of thing on a model, but the sculptor could have knocked those down by 50% and she would still be a bit on the large side.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#438 Post by Prince of Spires »

:shock: yeah, the dimensions are a bit off on that model... :lol: It would have made the model better as well in my opinion. She's a bit out of proportion. Still, nice paint job. I like the blue - green combination.

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#439 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

And here we are. Honestly I'm pretty happy with these. It's a unit of 13 plus the everqueen, and plus the 8th edition maidenguard hero. I decided not to try to cram the everqueens ugly younger sister into this unit. Not sure what I will do with the model yet....

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#440 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Honestly I'm pretty happy with these.
I can imagine you are. It's a great looking unit. And the Everqueen is very nice. The subdued and "simple" paint scheme makes her look very special. And the gems are pretty good as well. The only thing about those is that for me the transition from the light red to the orange is too abrupt.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I decided not to try to cram the everqueens ugly younger sister into this unit. Not sure what I will do with the model yet....
If real life was a movie then you'd remove her glasses, give her a haircut and suddenly she'd be even prettier then her older sister ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#441 Post by elendor_f »

Really like the look of the unit :D The gems and the banner are very well done =D>
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#442 Post by SpellArcher »

They’re great and the basing really sets them off.

=D>

Your daughter’s verdict?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#443 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

slightly annoyed that I didn't give flowers to the repeat sculpts in the back row...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#444 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:slightly annoyed that I didn't give flowers to the repeat sculpts in the back row...
:lol: =D>

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#445 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:slightly annoyed that I didn't give flowers to the repeat sculpts in the back row...
She’s a sterner critic than we are.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#446 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I think I sorted the red to orange transition, which was bothering me before I even posted the pictures. I'm 90% sure I used "marigold yellow" instead of "fire orange" they look so similar in the bottles...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#447 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
She’s a sterner critic than we are.

Going from my own daughters, that doesn't surprise me one bit... :lol:

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#448 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

For for January I have 15 done, and 9 that only need bases but I'm waiting to finish more to make it more efficient. I'll count them as done. That makes 24 for the month. Not quite 1/day,but not bad. February should get off to a roaring start as I've got 15 swordsmen and 2 spears from the MM80/81 range that I'll finish today or tomorrow. 5 tillian crossbows that are 75% done and some 3rd mounted stuff that is in progress.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#449 Post by Prince of Spires »

Impressive progress. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Of course, February is easier. You need 2 fewer models to make it to one a day ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#450 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

This finishes (I hope) the Sea Elf Army, except for baggage train. The wardancers are replacements. Two to make the army more Marauder, and one because it's a better weapon choice. When I finish the baggage train I'll do another army picture. The army now has at least one of every MM81 High Elves, and MM82 Sea Elves sculpt, plus a bunch of MM80 wood elves. If I end up with them from other deals/trades I'll add a couple of spearmen and and archers to the merchant company unit, same with the last MM80 archer that I don't have, he would be used to make it 10 scouts.

Swords and Shields

I've nearly finished 5 3rd Edition/Melenbonian Cav, 5 tilian crossbowmen for Mordheim, and a unit of warmaster spearmen (finally). Up next should be 10 more 3rd edition mounted elves, plus some mounted heros/wizards. Hopefully some warmaster archers too, but my pace on that project hasn't exactly been blazing.

If all goes well I'll have a package arriving from Germany on Monday or Tuesday. I don't believe in showing pictures of unpainted minis, but I'll probably make an exception for some of these.