Painting again

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Painting again

#151 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

In the US most of the go for about $100 if it's only missing a few pieces. I gave my old copy to my half-siblings (who are 19 years younger than me) about 10 years ago. They "think" they still have it at my dads, but I got tired of waiting for them to find out.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#152 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

15 Goblins, a Chaos Dwarf and an Orc finished. You might not get pictures of most of a bit. One needs his spider and shield (and a small banner). 2 others need shields. 10 need their war machines. All but Grom need bases.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#153 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Good progress today. But to humid to varnish. Hopefully we get a dry day soon.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#154 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:One needs his spider
Not an Arachnarok is it?

:)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#155 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Haha no.

It's one of these (not the shaman, but I wish) http://solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92428ma ... not-01.htm
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#156 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Everything is done except the banner and pole for the spider rider. Tomorrow should be nice enough to spray them. Then I'll be able to handle them enough to work out the bases on the war machines. Should finish them up this week.

In the mean time I'm working on a cannon crew, a halfling thief for mordheim, a couple mages, and 6 sea elf wardancers. Storm wing is sitting on the table too (someone has to fight grom)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#157 Post by Prince of Spires »

Impressive painting list for a weekend :) I'm looking forward to any pictures showing up.

That's a lovely model. I like most of the spider models actually. And yeah, you should really get an Arachnarok. If only so we could get some pictures of it ;)

And yeah, someone definitely has to fight Grom. If only so you could actually use his special rule for a change. :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#158 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

My elves used to target grom with every bit of shooting they had when my brother would field grom. Often they'd kill all his wolves first. Then they just had to get him before he managed to join a unit.

Shields are done, tiny banner is nearly done. Grom and things that went on Mordheim bases will probably get pictures tonight. Things that require static grass will have to wait.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#159 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

First the finished things.
Grom
A new Shaman and some Goblins that will fight in Mordheim with the Orc warband, but also under Grom for WFB.
An additional Mutant for the Possessed warband.

Now for the soon to be finished
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#160 Post by Luna Guardian »

I love the warmachines especially, they have a really good look! The organ gun with the face looks truly cartoony kind of menacing :D
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#161 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Luna Guardian wrote:I love the warmachines especially, they have a really good look! The organ gun with the face looks truly cartoony kind of menacing :D
That lead belcher is a HUGE part of why the gobblins have expanded into a slowly building army rather than just Mordheim warbands. I really couldn't think of a reason NOT to pick one up.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#162 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:That lead belcher
The Skull Crusher's great but yeah, Lead Belcher is an awesome concept. I just wish it was in the 8th edition army list!

That's the old Marauder spider rider isn't it Shannar? Just hoping the gobbos don't get their mitts on that cannon...

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#163 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote: That's the old Marauder spider rider isn't it Shannar? Just hoping the gobbos don't get their mitts on that cannon...
It is indeed. At $5 I couldn't pass. He can lead my tiny forest goblin force (I'll paint up a couple river trolls and some plastic gobbos with generous unit filler and I'll get to 500pts)

On the cannon. I'd be lying if I said that the thought didn't cross my mind. I've got a pump wagon primed up. That and the belcher are captured Dwarf equipment in the fluff. Could make it a theme. Goblin Gyrocopters and Steam tanks here we come haha.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#164 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Goblin Gyrocopters and Steam tanks here we come haha.
Doesn’t Tolkien blame such things on goblins in The Hobbit? He wasn’t that keen on the march of technology as I recall.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#165 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:
Doesn’t Tolkien blame such things on goblins in The Hobbit? He wasn’t that keen on the march of technology as I recall.
Now that you mention it, yes.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#166 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looking forward to it :D

The conversion options for goblins are just great. It's one of the draws of the army I think. You can basically scavenge any part from another army and make it work.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#167 Post by Luna Guardian »

I could very easily see a gaggle of goblins finding a wrecked steam tank or gyrocopter and fiddling with it just enough to get it moving. use it as a pump wagon, would be hilarious :D

the O&G sure do lend themselves to conversion work...
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#168 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

If I find a plastic steam tank going cheap I'm going to do this. I'd scratch build it, except I want it to be very clear that it's a captured empire steam tank, not a goblin invention.

Here is the current work in progress section. I swear I was going to finish the elves before the pump wagon... I've also been working on bases, I'll probably play with the static grass sometime this weekend.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#169 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Basing is done. I'll have a lot of pictures to post.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#170 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#171 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#172 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#173 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#174 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Just a unit filler for my forest goblins.

I think this wraps up the goblins for now. I do have a couple river trolls to do yet, but for now I'm in a mood to do some elves again.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#175 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Rebased Elves.

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#176 Post by Luna Guardian »

Love the chariot, especially the smiling lion in the banner! The rest is great too, but you know I am partial :wink:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#177 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I swear I was going to finish the elves before the pump wagon.
hehe. It's always fun to see how some projects get a hold of you and need to be finished before all the things you were actually planning on doing... :)

The little buggers look great. Whacky in a deadly sort of way. And I like the unit filler. Simple but effective. And probably a lot less work then the equivalent in goblins (which surprisingly usually doesn't seem to be the case...).

And the elves are great. Nice to see you pick up a plastic kit for a change ;) and the Pegasus is just a great model. I like the white. Something I can't pull off myself. White horses always look terrible for me. So I'm well impressed.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#178 Post by SpellArcher »

Great stuff Shannar, just love the Pump Wagon!

=D>
Prince of Spires wrote:White horses always look terrible for me.
This might be a style thing Rod, they are one thing that works pretty well for me.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#179 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Thanks, the pump wagon wagon was a blast to paint.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#180 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I swear I was going to finish the elves before the pump wagon.
hehe. It's always fun to see how some projects get a hold of you and need to be finished before all the things you were actually planning on doing... :)

The little buggers look great. Whacky in a deadly sort of way. And I like the unit filler. Simple but effective. And probably a lot less work then the equivalent in goblins (which surprisingly usually doesn't seem to be the case...).

And the elves are great. Nice to see you pick up a plastic kit for a change ;) and the Pegasus is just a great model. I like the white. Something I can't pull off myself. White horses always look terrible for me. So I'm well impressed.

Rod
The whole goblin project is that way really. It was supposed to be an Orc Warband, but I really liked the Night Goblins so they needed a warband, and somehow extras got added in there. And the forest goblins are nice models, why not a warband of those. And suddenly Grom, and a leadbelcher and pumpwagon all make sense haha. It's been a much more involved side project than I ever intended. BUT, if someone handed me a bunch of 4A sea goblins I'd put the elves to the side again without question. I'm in good shape for a fun (but probably ineffective) 4e goblin list. For 3rd edition I've got some work to do.

I was very pleased with the white on that pegasus. I did it awhile ago (just fancied up the base over the weekend) and at the time I really didn't know if I could do horses well, and white horses seemed an impossible task. My goal isn't to paint all this stuff to a competition or display standard, but I do want a very high table top standard. And the more I like the model the more nervous I am about getting started on it. This one needed to be good, and honestly I think it is.

That plastic kit was rough on me. When I did it the goal was to do all my chariots. I didn't touch another for a long time after, and then it was the elven attack chariot that got me to do it. I'm fairly pleased with it so I'm not sure what the issue was. Must just not have been a joy to paint. Some things are, some aren't. Often I'm surprised by which it turns out to be.