Elendor's Host of the White Tower

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

elendor_f

Elendor's Host of the White Tower

#1 Post by elendor_f »

Hello!

After 10 years without painting a single miniature, this year I decided to go back to the hobby (as I mentioned at the start of this topic: http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70046).

I have decided to upload some pictures of my progress :D

The colour scheme is very much like the classical GW "white and blue" High Elves, I decided to use it since when I started painting I was very inexperienced and I thought doing something close to the book would help me.
I plan to do some more creative colour scheme with my next units! (so far I have Archers, Spears, Swordmasters and a small unit of Silver Helms which is not featured in this post).

Archers
This is the first unit I painted this year.
I think I did a decent job with the clothes but I need to improve doing faces and hair :roll:

Spearelves
The Spears were painted by 16 year old me but I had to add details and corrections and paint the command group.
I lost some shields, I need to check if I have some spare for the shield-less guys in the back :mrgreen:
This is the second regiment of Spears I have, the first one is composed of the first miniatures I ever painted and is due to be repainted from zero :lol:
I need to add grass to their bases also ^^

Swordmasters
The Swordmasters are in a similar situation, I painted them when I was about 16 but I decided I needed to spent some time improving them.
I could have put a bit more effort with ink wash for the armour parts, I will put more effort in the armour parts of the next miniatures.
They need grass in their bases too #-o

My next plans include finishing a unit of 5 Silver Helms and then starting with some Ellyrian Reavers.
I also have one RBT painted from before that I may add some details.
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: Elendor's Host of the White Tower

#2 Post by Luna Guardian »

That's very nice work, the colors are neat and not too thickly layered. With very minor updates (you mentioned washes already) you can get to a pretty good standard. They're already much better than mine were at 16
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

That look - straight out of the 6th edition army book! Some washes will do them good but you've gog a very nice start there :)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

I can only echo what the others have said. A good start. I think two easy steps to improving fast is to use some washes (as you already mentioned). An easy way to add some depth to the model and some shading. Adds a bit of time before the model is finished (especially in drying time). But worth it for an easy improvement, even on already painted models.

The other is to thin down your paints a bit (of you don't do so already). Especially GW paints tend to be fairly thick if you use them straight out of the pot. Thinned down, they flow easier, you don't have to "force" the paint of your brush onto the miniature and you make fewer mistakes. For me doing this really helped in my painting.

All in all, I like the models. The blue and white really suit the HE army well.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Vintage stuff Elendor!

:)

Loving the Swordmaster banner.
elendor_f

#6 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks everyone! :D

One of the problems with ink washing that I found is that when I did it for clothes (the green belts or the blue clothes of the Archers for example) I got the effect right, but with armour the black ink, instead of staying in the holes between the scales, made an effect of "dirty" armor. I tried to drybrush with silver but it didn't look too good so I stopped #-o .
Is this perhaps a problem when you prime the miniatures with white instead of black?
I make the inks by mixing the paint with quite some water instead of buying specific inks, not sure if this is a problem also.
Prince of Spires wrote: The other is to thin down your paints a bit (if you don't do so already). Especially GW paints tend to be fairly thick if you use them straight out of the pot. Thinned down, they flow easier, you don't have to "force" the paint of your brush onto the miniature and you make fewer mistakes. For me doing this really helped in my painting.
I didn't do it in the beginning but I started doing it later on and I realized the advantages you mention :D
I use only Vallejo now, but I am considering to get some metal paints from GW, I think they are better for metals (I used GW long ago).
SpellArcher wrote: Loving the Swordmaster banner.
Thanks! I thought the symbol fits with the Saphery theme, but perhaps I should have used more colours than just gold for the symbol.
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#7 Post by Luna Guardian »

elendor_f wrote:Thanks everyone! :D
You're welcome :P
elendor_f wrote:One of the problems with ink washing that I found is that when I did it for clothes (the green belts or the blue clothes of the Archers for example) I got the effect right, but with armour the black ink, instead of staying in the holes between the scales, made an effect of "dirty" armor. I tried to drybrush with silver but it didn't look too good so I stopped #-o .
You might want to consider using blue or turqoise washes, less chance of a "dirty" effect and also very thematic for the magical realm of Saphery. I use green ink over runefang steel for my scales :) .
elendor_f wrote: Is this perhaps a problem when you prime the miniatures with white instead of black?
I'm not sure that should be an issue, but then I always prime with black.
elendor_f wrote:I make the inks by mixing the paint with quite some water instead of buying specific inks, not sure if this is a problem also.
This I think may be your problem, the washes GW makes are, as far as I know, very different than just watered down paint. I recommend using actual washes instead of making your own.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
RE.Lee

#8 Post by RE.Lee »

Yup, washes are a totally different beast. Even mixing with Lahmian Medium creates more of a glaze than a wash.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:Thanks! I thought the symbol fits with the Saphery theme, but perhaps I should have used more colours than just gold for the symbol.
It looks fine to me. Gold next to white can be problematic but here the symbol stands out enough I think, probably because it's in 3D.
elendor_f

#10 Post by elendor_f »

I think I will take a look at GW washes before I finish my Silver Helms :D
SpellArcher wrote:
elendor_f wrote:Thanks! I thought the symbol fits with the Saphery theme, but perhaps I should have used more colours than just gold for the symbol.
It looks fine to me. Gold next to white can be problematic but here the symbol stands out enough I think, probably because it's in 3D.
Thanks spare parts of multi-component plastics :lol:
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

elendor_f wrote: Thanks spare parts of multi-component plastics
:lol:

Yeah. A good thing about the muti-part plastic kits (at least the older ones, not sure how the new ones are in this respect) is all the extra bits they come with. I have a whole box full of the stuff. Fortunately, I started sorting the bits very early on, so I can actually find stuff in there :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elendor_f

#12 Post by elendor_f »

Hi!
My next project is a unit of 5 Silver Helms, using more or less the same white-blue scheme that I used for the Archers/Spears/Swordmasters (this way I have a small basic force with the same color scheme, the Saphery part of my army).
This time I made the bases before taking the pictures :) .

This is one Silver Helm taken on daylight:
I listed to your advice and bought actual ink washes, Drakenhof Nightshade (dark blue) and Fuegan Orange.
I bought dark blue ink instead of black because I liked the idea from Luna :) .
I used the dark blue ink for the armor and metal parts and I am more or less satisfied, although for this one I made the barding a bit too dark.

The unit of 5, albeit one rider was missing when I took the picture #-o
I had to use artificial light so not the best visibility.
I tried drybrushing a bit with silver colour on the chainmail but I don't think it is visible in the picture due to the light.

I am satisfied with the color scheme but my technique stills has to improve ^^
A suggestion I got is to use more than only red for the gems, for example also orange and green to create more variety.

For the next steps, I am considering to go back to my Spears and SMs and ink wash their armors, but I guess they can wait while I paint other things.
I have another 10 Silver Helms on which I want to use a different color scheme based on red/orange (the Caledor guys), but I am a bit bored of painting SHs so I am considering to paint 5 Ellyrian Reavers, 2 Eagles or 1 RBT.
For the Reavers I may try a schme based on green but I am not fully sure yet, and for the 2 Eagles I had the idea to paint one with an ice-based scheme and the other with fire-based scheme, but let's see.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice and bright and I like the pose!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#14 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looking good. Very striking colors and a nice take on the classical blue and white HE scheme. And the painting is clean, which gives a good base to develop your skills further.

For gems, what I do (for bigger ones if I can be bothered) is to give them a dark red base. Something like Khorne Red (old paint was Scab Red). Then go for a bright red (blood red or Evil Sunz Scarlet) that covers 2/3rds of the gem. And then pick a bright orange as a spot on top of that. To finish of a single dot of white. Depending on the size of the gems, you can remove some colors from the scheme.

As for the color scheme for the next set of models. For me, I always start with a very rough idea (for instance, something with green) and then just start on a test model. It usually develops from there and gives decent results. Sometimes you have to do a part again, but in general it works for me. And it lets you discover what the models needs as you go along.

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#15 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks! :D
Prince of Spires wrote:Looking good. Very striking colors and a nice take on the classical blue and white HE scheme. And the painting is clean, which gives a good base to develop your skills further.

For gems, what I do (for bigger ones if I can be bothered) is to give them a dark red base. Something like Khorne Red (old paint was Scab Red). Then go for a bright red (blood red or Evil Sunz Scarlet) that covers 2/3rds of the gem. And then pick a bright orange as a spot on top of that. To finish of a single dot of white. Depending on the size of the gems, you can remove some colors from the scheme.

As for the color scheme for the next set of models. For me, I always start with a very rough idea (for instance, something with green) and then just start on a test model. It usually develops from there and gives decent results. Sometimes you have to do a part again, but in general it works for me. And it lets you discover what the models needs as you go along.

Rod
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I had read about this technique for gems somewhere (an old WD or in the HE army book) but I only had one bottle of red and one of orange (I have two basic sets from Vallejo and a couple of inks from Citadel). A couple of days ago I bought a different shade of red so I can finally try this.

I think your test model method is good. Probably I will paint an Eagle next, but for the Reavers I'll do it that way.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

elendor_f

#16 Post by elendor_f »

Hi!

I have not been using the brushes as much I hoped since last time, but I managed to do two things.

First one is painting one Great Eagle with a flame theme:
I am somewhat satisfied with the result, although now I need to think about the base because I lost the plastic stick that came with it for support :oops: .
Probably I'll try to put a rock and paint it like lava to hold the eagle in place.

The second thing is I tried to apply some wash + drybrush to part of the armour of the Swordmasters, and I finally made their bases.
I am still not confident to attempt anything in the faces besides applying the correct color :oops: .
Overall I think their armour looks a bit more realistic, although the final result is slightly less clean than before.
For tabletop I am satisfied, so not bad :)

My next step is paint another Great Eagle, this time with an ice theme (inspired by a picture from the Eagle which SpellArcher uses for his Frost Phoenix :D ), and 5 Ellyrian Reavers (the 5ed/6ed ones), I have already decided that the horses will be light brown and the riders will have a scheme based on green, but I will do what Rod suggested and paint one test model first.

And finally, I have given in at last to the urge of buying new models and I got myself on Ebay some 5ed Lothern Seaguards, 4 Handmaidens of the Everqueen and one 6ed Phoenix Guard (back in the day I bought only the command group, hopefully in time I will get enough to make a unit!).

Cheers!
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#17 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

To me it looks like you are improving, and as long as you are improving you are doing things right. For the faces maybe just start with a darker flesh colour, and then hit the nose and other raised areas with a bit of your current flesh colour. That and start working on eyes, you'll get the hang of it fast. There are 100s of good articles and/or youtube videos on how to do eyes. It's a bit of a pain at first, but it adds a lot.
RE.Lee

#18 Post by RE.Lee »

After hesitating for a while, I've started giving the Devlan Mud treatment to my High Elves as well - it does wonders for the whites, the reds, the browns, the metallics and yes, the faces too. It is literally "liquid skill". Give it a try because after you figure out painting neatly (and you have that covered) adding that depth is the next step.

Also, thin down the silver a bit.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#19 Post by Prince of Spires »

They look great, nothing to be ashamed of.
elendor_f wrote:although now I need to think about the base because I lost the plastic stick that came with it for support
Don't worry, losing that thing isn't as big a deal. It tends to break anyway...

For the faces, there is lots of tips out there, as Shannar mentions. Getting even some basic depth in there improves things. However, the most simple tip I can give you is to paint the eyes. Nothing fancy. You can either go for a single colored dot (black or white are the best options here) for each eye. Or if you're feeling adventurous a white dot with a colored smaller dot in the middle. Us the smallest brush you have and only a little paint on the tip of it. It's simple but it adds a lot I find. You could even cheat and get a black liner pen (I think they're called that) and use that to make the black dot.
RE.Lee wrote:After hesitating for a while, I've started giving the Devlan Mud treatment to my High Elves as well
Pro tip this. Washes definitely help, especially Devlan Mud. Except that it's no longer called that (why GW, WHY?). It's now Agrax Earthshade...

And indeed, add a little water to the silver. :)

Looking forward to the next models.

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#20 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks for all the advice :D
I will try to apply the face/eye things on the next models and then perhaps come back to these Swordmasters.
Also checking Youtube tutorials is a good idea, I have been getting by using old painting articles from WD/Warhammer Chronicles.

I was not aware of the Devlan Mud / Agrax Earthshade wash, for these Swordmasters I used Drakenhof Nightshade (I chose it because I found Nuln Oil too "dirty").

The silver I didn't dilute enough indeed, it is more noticeable in the swords :oops: Will remember for the next time.

Cheers!
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#21 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:I managed to do two things.
Nice, I like them.

elendor_f wrote:inspired by a picture from the Eagle which SpellArcher uses for his Frost Phoenix
I'm flattered and look forward to seeing the result!
elendor_f wrote:face/eye things
I'm finding goblins a little small and scrunched-up to be doing the eyes. But on elf-sized models my own basic approach is to paint them black, then add a bit of white in each corner.
elendor_f

#22 Post by elendor_f »

Hi!

I wanted to post a couple of pictures of my painted models so far:

I managed to paint 5 Ellyrian Reavers (5th/6th models) and one RBT.

I have some small fixing to do (paint the shields of the SH, paint the column where the Eagle stands, and re-paint the Reaver I used for test (who is not in the photo)), but I think my next step will be 5 Dragon Princes! I am still doubting whether to go for a red riders + dark brown horses or continue with the traditional blue/white.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#23 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

In the old days this was enough for an army.
elendor_f

#24 Post by elendor_f »

I think with one Mage and one Noble I am set for a 1500p army, although I could not get both the Eagle and the RBT as they are both Rare choices :lol:
For 4th/5th probably I could make a legal army, and I've never played 3rd although I have the rulebook :)

For a 2000p 6th army I still need 5 Dragon princes, 9 Silver Helms, two characters, one more Eagle and one more RBT, so I will be busy for a while :D

Btw I managed to get 30 metal 5th ed Seaguard from ebay, I am looking forward to painting them.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#25 Post by Luna Guardian »

Looks very good! Personally I wouldn't mix on too many colors, but if the extra colors are from Caledor, I'm sure they have a reason not to conform to the rest of the army :P

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#26 Post by SpellArcher »

Great stuff Elendor, looks really cohesive!

=D>

I'm not sure the Reavers fit the general look quite so well but maybe as you add units this will change.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#27 Post by Prince of Spires »

It is a splendid looking army. It looks very regal and high elven.

I get what the others are saying about a cohesive look. It pays off to have some uniformity among units. But in my experience this doesn't necessarily mean that everything has to be one color. In my own army each unit has its own color scheme. WL are greenish, DP's black, that sort of thing. And still it manages (in my opinion of course) to form a cohesive army. I do this by keeping certain elements uniform across the army. My army colors are red and white. And all units have white cloth and a red trim or element on them. This lets units have both their own personality and makes them part of my army. Also, it keeps me sane and interested in my army, not having to paint everything a different color.

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#28 Post by elendor_f »

Luna Guardian wrote:Looks very good! Personally I wouldn't mix on too many colors, but if the extra colors are from Caledor, I'm sure they have a reason not to conform to the rest of the army :P
Thanks! That was indeed the reason I was going to use, it seems fitting that Caledorians wear their own colours regardless of what the general says :lol:
SpellArcher wrote:Great stuff Elendor, looks really cohesive!

=D>

I'm not sure the Reavers fit the general look quite so well but maybe as you add units this will change.
Thanks! With the Reavers I tried to introduce more green and brown to try something different
My idea was that Reavers go around Ulthuan and join armies wherever they are needed instead of joining a certain army, so it could fit that they have different colours.
I agree it looks a bit odd now, but let's see if it changes once I get some more units :D
Prince of Spires wrote:It is a splendid looking army. It looks very regal and high elven.

I get what the others are saying about a cohesive look. It pays off to have some uniformity among units. But in my experience this doesn't necessarily mean that everything has to be one color. In my own army each unit has its own color scheme. WL are greenish, DP's black, that sort of thing. And still it manages (in my opinion of course) to form a cohesive army. I do this by keeping certain elements uniform across the army. My army colors are red and white. And all units have white cloth and a red trim or element on them. This lets units have both their own personality and makes them part of my army. Also, it keeps me sane and interested in my army, not having to paint everything a different color.

Rod
Thanks! :D
I think that's a great suggestion. With the Reavers I kinda tried to keep the trousers white and some blue marks, but the green feathers and brown horses dominate their colour scheme.
I'll see what I will do with the Dragon Princes, I have been looking through some images for inspiration :)
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

elendor_f

#29 Post by elendor_f »

I have been painting a bit and my Cavalry Prince/Noble is on its way to be ready for battle :)

Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#30 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice noble. He looks suitably elven and regal. Very clean painting as well. I like him.

Points of critique (if you want to hear them). The mold line on the tail shows (in this close up at least), as does the gap between the head and the body of the horse. I admit I'm too lazy to fix those points most of the time as well. But it's an area of possible improvement.

Also, it feels as if the model could use some (more) washes to add depth and shading to the model.

Rod

Check out my plog