P&M Showcase: Phoenixes

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

P&M Showcase: Phoenixes

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome to the next Painting and Modelling Showcase of 2016. The category for this showcase is Phoenixes.

The goal of the painting showcases is to let people show off their painted units, beasts and characters. New, old, ancient, alternative, newly painted or vintage - everything goes. And it's not just newly painted models, but all models painted over the years are welcome.

So, share some pictures with us of your models and perhaps a pointer or two how you achieved the painting results.
Myth

Re: P&M Showcase: Phoenixes

#2 Post by Myth »

I did my Frosty sometime in 2014th. That was my first airbrush attempt and I was really pleased how it turned out.
At the end I applied wash to gain depth in model, so he become a bit muddy, but no big deal.

Before the wash

After the wash

I'm planning to paint Fire phoenix this month, hopefully I will be able to complete until end of month.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Lovely stuff!

:)

I actually prefer 'after' because of the definition but 'before' has it's points. Looking forward to the fiery version. You are a hard act to follow Myth!

My more modest effort:

Actually an eagle model because my old 'Great Eagle of the Misty Mountains ' is warhawk-sized!
Myth

#4 Post by Myth »

I like to see alternative models, it gives special kind of flavor to the army.
(my army is a kind of boring, since so far I have used mostly official models, except for a few conversions (archers, sisters)).

In this case, I would like to see a bit more effort with the base buddy :) Few rocks, woods and tufts in different colors can make a huge difference ;)
Also, since it has stable foundation (rock) did you try different angle to simulate some motion? That would worth to try in my opinion.
SpellArcher wrote:Lovely stuff!
.......You are a hard act to follow Myth!
Thank you...I'm a bit shy now :oops: :D
Well, I guess it is just a little bit of talent combined with lot of work, practice and hours spent in hobby....instead in other activities what 'normal' folks are usually practicing :lol:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Myth wrote:In this case, I would like to see a bit more effort with the base buddy :) Few rocks, woods and tufts in different colors can make a huge difference ;)
Also, since it has stable foundation (rock) did you try different angle to simulate some motion? That would worth to try in my opinion.
My High Elf army is actually heavily converted. For some reason I was very spartan with the colours and basing though. It's not ideal on this model because of the big areas of exposed base. I'll confess he was a late addition, mainly to let me run a viable tournament list under the 8th edition army book. I did bend the wings quite a lot but stability and ability to take a knock (and easy transportation) were kind of priorities here.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like your frostheart SA, even though basing isn't your strong suit... And I think it works better in your army full of (smaller) 4-6th ed miniatures. The recent frostheart would look very out of place.

@Myth, I remember that frostheart from when you first posted it up. I was a fan of it then and I still am. It motivated me to paint my own frostheart with an airbrush as well. Like SA I like the version with the washes applied. It has a bit more depth to the model.

Here are mine. First my Frostheart, straight out of the box

Like most other people I went frostheart first (since it's the most competitive option). But, I decided to kit-bash / build my own flamespire with the left over pieces.

I must say I'm quite proud with how he turned out.

And here they are shown together side by side.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I like your frostheart SA
Thank you.

Prince of Spires wrote:even though basing isn't your strong suit
You guys are right that the base isn't ideal here. I would definitely sex it up if I was putting a lot of effort in. But in general I'm a minimalist and that applies to basing as much as it does to converting and painting. I'm not entirely happy with my HE basing and it's a bit basic on my Daemons. But I wouldn't change a thing about my WE basing and that's simple flock. The difference there is that the colours are spot on and perhaps, I simply painted that army better.
Prince of Spires wrote:I must say I'm quite proud with how he turned out.
Splendid work Rod. The Frostheart is decent but the Flamespyre eclipses it. The only downside from my point of view is the eyes. Excellent fire effect though.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#8 Post by Ferny »

My wife works at an art collective and one of the guys there is an airbrush artist, so I'm pinging him over some pics of pheonixes to get a price on how much for him to do a session with me to get me started :)
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Myth

#9 Post by Myth »

Prince of Spires wrote: @Myth, I remember that frostheart from when you first posted it up. I was a fan of it then and I still am. It motivated me to paint my own frostheart with an airbrush as well. Like SA I like the version with the washes applied. It has a bit more depth to the model.
Thanks Rod, glad I was inspiring on that, but most of the credits goes to this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPnN-dA-SXc where I learned how to use airbrush :wink:

Great work on phoenixes!
For Frosty, I would add one darker shade (at front and end wing part joint) and some purple on the far ends of the feathers. Wings are placed in downside position for purpose?

Fiery one rocks! You did very good on this one. I can imagine that combine other model wings with original fiery extension wasn't that simple? Which part for the wings did you use?
Also like flames part on the wings, you did sculpt it yourself?
Dragon spikes looks really great on it, but I would paint that in different color either the same like the rest of the model or maybe some dark shades of red.
Basing is also great for the Fiery and simulates flame aura....good job Sir!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the compliment SA :)
Myth wrote:Fiery one rocks! You did very good on this one. I can imagine that combine other model wings with original fiery extension wasn't that simple? Which part for the wings did you use? Also like flames part on the wings, you did sculpt it yourself? Dragon spikes looks really great on it, but I would paint that in different color either the same like the rest of the model or maybe some dark shades of red. Basing is also great for the Fiery and simulates flame aura....good job Sir!
The idea of the flamespire was to turn this:
plus this:
into:

It was quite a project. I have a fairly detailed set of WiP pictures in my plog here. To give an idea of some of the bigger steps involved:

I had great fun doing this project. You learn a lot trying this sort of thing. At least, I did.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Very imaginative Rod!

Myth

#12 Post by Myth »

Great idea Rod, never though of that :)
I have seen some people were using IoB Griffon wings and with little adjustments they were joining it with fiery wings and tail.
I'm a bit passionate collector and since I'm lacking sculpting skills, I wasn't felt ready to start building it from different kits and my green stuff work, so I bought other phoenix box to make Fiery.
Even now thinking to have third one to build Caradrian on Ashtari, since I got to have it in collection.....
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#13 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Myth wrote:Great idea Rod, never though of that :)
I have seen some people were using IoB Griffon wings and with little adjustments they were joining it with fiery wings and tail.
I'm a bit passionate collector and since I'm lacking sculpting skills, I wasn't felt ready to start building it from different kits and my green stuff work, so I bought other phoenix box to make Fiery.
Even now thinking to have third one to build Caradrian on Ashtari, since I got to have it in collection.....
I have a similar illness. However, I used magnets to solve the Caradrian issue (my phoenixes are built, but not painted).
Myth

#14 Post by Myth »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Myth wrote:Great idea Rod, never though of that :)
I have a similar illness. However, I used magnets to solve the Caradrian issue (my phoenixes are built, but not painted).
I would do like that if I would do it now. When I built my frosty I did it for gaming purposes. I haven't thought to magnetize crest to be able to switch for rider and I haven't put helmet on Phoenix head. Now for Caradrian, I have to put helmet on Ashtari and have magnets for rider.
Myth

#15 Post by Myth »

This is not mine model, but I just saw it on one FB hobby group :shock: .... it looks great!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#16 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

If I hadn't admitted to myself that there is no justification for adding tons of WE to the collection (I do have a few...) as well I'd have to do this.
Myth

#17 Post by Myth »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:If I hadn't admitted to myself that there is no justification for adding tons of WE to the collection (I do have a few...) as well I'd have to do this.
Lucky you..... I wasn't able to admit myself....so now I have a ton of WE waiting to be painted :)
Have you seen forest dragon conversion (made from HE dragon), similar to this wood phoenix?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#18 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Myth wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:If I hadn't admitted to myself that there is no justification for adding tons of WE to the collection (I do have a few...) as well I'd have to do this.
Lucky you..... I wasn't able to admit myself....so now I have a ton of WE waiting to be painted :)
Have you seen forest dragon conversion (made from HE dragon), similar to this wood phoenix?
Well, I decided to fill in the missing HE from the 80s and early 90s, and to go for as much of the mordheim range as I can instead of Wood Elves. Of course in the 80s/90s minis there is a ton of overlap as it was all "Elves" So I won't be shocked if I someday start adding wood elves again.

And yes. It's pretty darn cool. When I (n)ever get around to painting my 90s Forrest Dragon I plan to do similar.
Myth

#19 Post by Myth »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Myth wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Well, I decided to fill in the missing HE from the 80s and early 90s, and to go for as much of the mordheim range as I can instead of Wood Elves. Of course in the 80s/90s minis there is a ton of overlap as it was all "Elves" So I won't be shocked if I someday start adding wood elves again.
That would be very interesting to see, do you have it
posted somewhere on this forum?

Speaking of Wood Elves, I don't want to spoil this thread with inapropriat content, but here is what is waiting for me when I complete my HEs one day:

And this boys and girls as well:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#20 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

That would be very interesting to see, do you have it
posted somewhere on this forum?
When my loremaster arrives (should be any day now). I have every sculpt from 4e-8e including a couple unreleased ones. Along with a lot of models from 1st to 3rd. There are a lot of gaps in part of the collection though, and I'm constantly finding new sculpts and variants that I didn't even know about.

I've been (way to) slowly painting it up. And doing pictures here and there as I go. I should either pick up the pace (so as to finish before I turn 150) or go ahead and post unpainted things and replace them as I make progress. Probably I should do both.
Myth

#21 Post by Myth »

This is the preview for new Privateer Press Phoenix model for Hordes, Circle of Orboros.

I'm very pleased since I'm collecting this faction :)
It should cost app 110$, which is heavy, but the model looks great, so it will be hard to resist....specially since it could be used for elven army.
Gandalf_82

#22 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Some lovely Phoenixes in this thread!

Here's the one I painted a while back (all brush), will get round to a Frosty at some point!

Myth

#23 Post by Myth »

Very good brush work!
Really nice transition between colors and good shading.
How long it took you to complete the model?
Are you avoiding airbrush for some reason or simply don't have it or don't like it?
Myth

#24 Post by Myth »

I have found some interesting phoenix model.

RE.Lee

#25 Post by RE.Lee »

Thats some solid green-stuff work, right there ;)

Congrats on everybody's Phoenixes!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Gandalf_82

#26 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Myth wrote:Very good brush work!
Really nice transition between colors and good shading.
How long it took you to complete the model?
Are you avoiding airbrush for some reason or simply don't have it or don't like it?

It took ages to be fair, hard to judge as I was painting it over a couple of months but I would estimate in excess of 30 hours (I am a slow painter!).

I dont have an airbrush yet, hence the use of a brush. Plan to invest in one at some point so will probably hold fire on a Frosty until I do!