P&M Showcase: Chariots

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

P&M Showcase: Chariots

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome to the next Painting and Modelling Showcase of 2016. The category for this showcase is Chariots.

The goal of the painting showcases is to let people show off their painted units, beasts and characters. New, old, ancient, alternative, newly painted or vintage - everything goes. And it's not just newly painted models, but all models painted over the years are welcome.

So, share some pictures with us of your models and perhaps a pointer or two how you achieved the painting results.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: P&M Showcase: Chariots

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Chariot Prince

I've posted this previously but it seems most appropriate here. The chariot and banner pole are TK but the flag is from the High Elf archer kit. I copied the symbol on it from one of the HE army books, can't remember which. The horses are from the old Elven Attack Chariot set. The hawk atop the banner comes from the Mage with that same set, as do the bowcase/quiver and spear-rack on the sides of the car. I've attached the Phoenix from the metal White Lions to the front of the car by bending it.

The pointing charioteer is an old Jes Goodwin model, he might be a Melnibonean. The Prince himself is basically the archer from the chariot set (the pose was right) but the winged helm head is from an heroic looking dude on foot, 3rd edition range. There's a plastic lion cloak attached to the back of the banner. I had various bits and the whole model just kind of coalesced, I didn't set out to make an army led by a dude in a chariot!
Andrew_uk

#3 Post by Andrew_uk »

@spellarcher I love it!! I'm trying to piece together where it all comes from as I'm not sure I recognise much of it. I'm guessing the banner is the limited edition high elf BSB that GW released for the (20th?) anniversary?

The chariot I'm not too sure on as it doesn't look like either of the chariot types I'm familiar with. I'm guessing something from the 80s?
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Andrew_uk wrote:@spellarcher I love it!!
Thank you Andrew!
Andrew_uk wrote: I'm guessing the banner is the limited edition high elf BSB that GW released for the (20th?) anniversary?
SpellArcher wrote:the flag is from the High Elf archer kit.
:)
Andrew_uk wrote:The chariot I'm not too sure on as it doesn't look like either of the chariot types I'm familiar with. I'm guessing something from the 80s?
It's simply the basic plastic TK chariot (one of the very few plastic bits in the army). I needed one small enough to go with my 3rd edition elves and it had an appropriately classical look to it.
Andrew_uk

#5 Post by Andrew_uk »

SpellArcher wrote:
Andrew_uk wrote:@spellarcher I love it!!
Thank you Andrew!
Andrew_uk wrote: I'm guessing the banner is the limited edition high elf BSB that GW released for the (20th?) anniversary?
SpellArcher wrote:the flag is from the High Elf archer kit.
Andrew_uk wrote:The chariot I'm not too sure on as it doesn't look like either of the chariot types I'm familiar with. I'm guessing something from the 80s?
It's simply the basic plastic TK chariot (one of the very few plastic bits in the army). I needed one small enough to go with my 3rd edition elves and it had an appropriately classical look to it.
I should have slowed down and read your post :oops: I was at work and rather rushed my "oooh cool pic, what is it?" lol
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
RE.Lee

#6 Post by RE.Lee »

My chariots are some of my older models, so not that well painted but I'm still pretty happy with how they look. One is the 4th edition chariot, with just the horses replaced. The other is the 6th ed model, but the crew were replaced by a single, spear-wielding character from 5th edition.

Sorry for the crappy photo, it was taken in 2009 #-o
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Andrew_uk wrote:I should have slowed down and read your post I was at work and rather rushed my "oooh cool pic, what is it?" lol
If I had a pound for every time I've done that I'd be filthy rich!

RE.Lee wrote:I'm still pretty happy with how they look
Me too. Old School in a good way!
Rogue Trader

#8 Post by Rogue Trader »

Didn't get round to posting this last year.

RE.Lee

#9 Post by RE.Lee »

Lovely painting! Those green base edges as old-school as ever ;)
cheers, Lee

Andrew_uk

#10 Post by Andrew_uk »

I don't have any chariots myself. But I did paint this one up for Galharen last Christmas. I hope he doesn't mind me posting on his behalf, but he's not around so much any more...

Imageimage hosting no sign up

Andrew_uk

#11 Post by Andrew_uk »

@RT is the lion on the chariot banner done with freehand? If so that's amazing :shock:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#12 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I don't head back to the US for a few more days. But I do have some pictures on photobucket.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

Rogue Trader wrote:Didn't get round to posting this last year.
I love the wood and metal tones.
Andrew_uk wrote:But I did paint this one up for Galharen last Christmas.
Straight-up great. I'm trying not to think of IgglePiggle though!
Shannar, Sealord wrote:But I do have some pictures on photobucket.
Nice bold banner.

Skillcannon

Not High Elf and the model isn't even a chariot really! But I thought I'd sneak it in.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#14 Post by Aicanor »

Modern type of Tiranoc Chariot:

White Lion Chariot (recent type again, painted earlier than the Tiranoc one):

And here is a new arrival, a gift from Secret Santa. I just love the addition of the seagull:

RE.Lee

#15 Post by RE.Lee »

Great painting guys!

Love the little seagull Aicanor! Nice touch ;)
cheers, Lee