(Potentially) A Tale of Two (Amateur) Painters

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andrew_uk

(Potentially) A Tale of Two (Amateur) Painters

#1 Post by Andrew_uk »

So my girlfriend has been watching me paint and wants to give it a go. She's keen to try Wood Elves (personality wise I think Woodies, Dark Elves or Dwarves would all be a good fit for her). Sneaking off to hide in the woods drinking beer and listening to Rock music would totally be her thing if work didn't get in the way.

So I've suggested she start with a single unit of Glade Guard to see if she enjoys it.

Buuuut I'm looking at how Wood Elves are being discontinued and thinking if she were to build an army then now would be the time to do so. Something like this...

Couple of Spellweavers
Couple of lords
30 odd Glade Guard
10 Mirkwood Rangers as scouts
28 Eternal Guard
Some fast cav (glade guard riders no longer available)
Some Dryads
21 Wild wood Rangers (with the Eternal guard that's 5 boxes and one spare dude)
A few of those new big troll sized trees that carry bows
At least one treeman
A couple of Hobbit Eagles
Some Razorwing Flock

I don't particularly care if these aren't all from the same timeframe or system - we can make up our own rules for the woodies using 7th as a base point just like my brother and I have done for our other armies.

But then I'm thinking - Woodies and High Elves are quite similiar... Perhaps I should start something new to do alongside her. Then we can have some battles. I've always fancied goblins and that would be a lot of fun for both of us. My army scared of her army, her scared of my spiders...

Then I add a load of Goblins to my cart and look at the total price and run away from the whole idea.

So for now I'm just going to get her the Glade Guard, we'll post some pictures here when she's finished in a few months and I'll keep an eye on the availability of Woodies (And Gobbos). Watch this space!!
Last edited by Andrew_uk on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
RE.Lee

Re: (Potentially) A Tale of Two (Amateur) Painters

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Will be keeping an eye on how this develops ;)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sounds like loads of fun! It's always great to have someone close by who you can paint / play with. For me it's a great motivational factor to have a regular opponent. The list you have for her looks great. Nice and varied. I think not all of the WE stuff is being discontinued in AoS. Some of the tree stuff has gotten a central role in AoS I believe. And they've recently gotten some new models and packaging. So you could always postpone that.

As for Goblins, go for it. It's what I'd do if I would start a second army. Lovely models, lots of customization and kitbashing options, nice theme and very different from HE. Ebay is your friend here I think. If you want to start a new army (especially a horde one) and don't want to be stuck to the GW prices then it's either ebay or alternative manufacturers (and for goblins there's a few options out there).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Duranthalis

#4 Post by Duranthalis »

I think it's awesome that you're getting your partner involved. My wife looks at the models, gives me encouragement or critique, and rolls her eyes when I talk about wanting to get more (usually followed with 'finish painting what you have first!') but otherwise is disinterested.

As for WE, all of their cavalry options are considered fast, so if glade riders aren't available you can always go with wild riders (or sisters of the thorn if you want an additional magical punch). Would cost more, however.
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Andrew_uk

#5 Post by Andrew_uk »

Nothing's been assembled yet and I'm starting to think that her would be army will (if anything) grow at a glacial pace that makes my army painting look quick by comparison :shock:

I've suggested she pick a theme;

Summery - Greens, Browns, maybe a dash of brighter colours, flowery bases
Autumn - Yellow, orange, red
Winter - Grey, Ice Blue
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Andrew_uk

#6 Post by Andrew_uk »

Update!! She got 2 boxes of Glade Guard and I've taught her about clipping models, cleaning mould lines, plastic glue and getting the archers to line up :)

First model done

Plus she's got a neat little production line going to get the rest assembled :) I'm so proud

Plus she wants to do Autumn colours so I grabbed a spare high elf archer cloak and mocked up this colour tester

Duranthalis

#7 Post by Duranthalis »

Awesome! IMO, autumn and winter color schemes offer the most opportunities for color palette (as opposed to numerous shades of green for spring/summer). Also, the basing that you can do really does open up (dead leaves, early snow, heavy snow for winter, etc).

One of the coolest themes I saw was this

Glad to hear that she's enjoying it!
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Andrew_uk

#8 Post by Andrew_uk »

Duranthalis wrote:One of the coolest themes I saw was this
That theme looks great and it works as a colour contrast. The painting quality is nothing less than amazing!! Personally though I feel it looks a little too evil?

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Promising!

:)
Duranthalis wrote:IMO, autumn and winter color schemes offer the most opportunities for color palette
My Wood Elves are autumnal and I have a good range of colours across the army. An example: