List of alternative models for Warhammer Fantasy

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

List of alternative models for Warhammer Fantasy

#1 Post by Aicanor »

I have been made aware of this very interesting initiative: Armies of Unsupported Age. They are trying to make lists of alternative models eligible for use in classic Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Have a look and if you like it and know of something that is not there, let the creators know here. Many thanks!

Alternative High Elf models can be found here: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39667

Alternative Armies
There has been a lot of talk about the end of Warhammer Fantasy Battles and many people are already searching for something else to play. With the game now being replaced by the Age of Sigmar on Games Workshop website, we probably can't count on their support anymore (I am not going into any theories on what they are doing or what are their plans for the future), but I strongly believe that doesn't stop us, the cummunity, from still enjoying the game. Many of us have put so much money, time and dedication into it and I just don't want to see it all thrown away, just because one company has decided something.

From what I have understood, the issue is more complex than just "We own the models and books and they can't take them away from us." To keep an unsupported game afloat, we would need models (if only to make it possible for new people to start playing) and some way for it to evolve. I know it would not be a trivial task. But while I can't help with the rules, I know for certain that the models are not such a problem as some people believe.
Games Workshop is not the only company that makes models, definitely not the only one that makes awesome models and not even the only one with whole ranges suited for making armies. If we decide to look around, we are not dependent on them, even not taking into consideration the fact that if we show enough interest, the models will appear to meet the demand. Basically, the choice is ours.

Now, I know my lists are not perfect. Some of the models are not the same quality as the original ones (On the other hand I believe those are usually way older than the current GW models, while the more recent ones are usually truly stunning) and some will have to be converted. But haven't we always done that? Many of the models in our armybooks have not been in GW stores for a long time, even not considering all the conversions for the reasons of price, personal taste or theme.
The important part is, the models are there. We just have to look and decide.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: List of alternative models for Warhammer Fantasy

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Some great stuff there Aicanor, there are so many good independents around.

Obviously you can get the vast majority of GW models from the last 30 years on ebay too, I've just availed myself of 12 metal Plaguebearers for a modest sum.

:)
Rowena

#3 Post by Rowena »

Thanks Aicanor very much for linking the blog.
We hope to help classic Warhammer Fantasy Battles survive this turbulent time and for this, we need as much support as we can get. We can hardly show there is an alternative to someone we are unable to reach. If you like the idea and are members of any other Warhammer forums, I would be very grateful if you could share it there as well and generally spread the word as much as you can.

EDIT: And elves are coming, I just wanted to get the more difficult armies done first. :)
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Furion

#4 Post by Furion »

Very nice blog!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/followfurion][b]FollowFurion[/b] on youtube for in depth WFB tactics analysis (click!)[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Titan Wargames, very good range for Chaos Dwarfs.
Rowena

#6 Post by Rowena »

SpellArcher wrote:Titan Wargames, very good range for Chaos Dwarfs.
Noted, thanks very much. :)
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

You're welcome Rowena.

Thanks for all the work, some real gems there like the Oni models for Horrors.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#8 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Just discovered this web site, hopefully will be of some help too:

http://www.mierce-miniatures.com/

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Rowena

#9 Post by Rowena »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Just discovered this web site, hopefully will be of some help too:

http://www.mierce-miniatures.com/
Thanks for the link. I already know about them and they probably saved my beastmen range from looking ugly. :)
My painting blog
grantmepower

#10 Post by grantmepower »

Mierce is a company I don't buy from. They have this whole weird bankruptcy history as Maelstrom where they hosed their creditors and customers. Mierce was spun off and purchased by the owner of Maelstrom for a steal as his other company went under.

It's fun to see my old alternative minis thread revived :D Now if only a ton of the links weren't broken!
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
Lithlandis Stormcrow

#11 Post by Lithlandis Stormcrow »

grantmepower wrote:Mierce is a company I don't buy from. They have this whole weird bankruptcy history as Maelstrom where they hosed their creditors and customers. Mierce was spun off and purchased by the owner of Maelstrom for a steal as his other company went under.

This. I was ripped off a Dark Vengeance Set by Maelstrom so I am not touching them with a 10 foot pole.
"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws."

http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/
Rowena

#12 Post by Rowena »

I was already told about Mierce, but wasn't able to find anything recent, so hopefully they're ok now? But it would definitely be a good idea to buy from 3rd party stores. I personally like Battlefield Berlin.
There is also a section on the blog for stuff like this, so if any of you have any experience, positive or negative, please let me know (here or directly on the blog) and I will add the info.
My painting blog
Lithlandis Stormcrow

#13 Post by Lithlandis Stormcrow »

Rowena wrote:I was already told about Mierce, but wasn't able to find anything recent, so hopefully they're ok now? But it would definitely be a good idea to buy from 3rd party stores. I personally like Battlefield Berlin.
There is also a section on the blog for stuff like this, so if any of you have any experience, positive or negative, please let me know (here or directly on the blog) and I will add the info.
Battlefield Berlin has not failed me yet, and Wayland Games hasn't either. I have been tempted to try Darksphere but haven't yet.

As for Mierce being ok now... I hold to grudges just like any good Aesanar does [-(
"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws."

http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/
Rowena

#14 Post by Rowena »

I have added Tomb Kings (still going by the strategy of doing the difficult armies first). Also, if anyone has experience (good or bad) with any miniature making company, please let me know, either here or directly on the blog. Thanks a lot!
Lithlandis Stormcrow wrote:Battlefield Berlin has not failed me yet, and Wayland Games hasn't either. I have been tempted to try Darksphere but haven't yet.
As for Mierce being ok now... I hold to grudges just like any good Aesanar does [-(
I understand the part about grudges. And I'm adding Wayland Games to the list of recommended sellers, thanks! :)
My painting blog
Rowena

#15 Post by Rowena »

Vampire counts added. (And I apogise for slowing down, the rest of the armies will be made, it will just take longer.)
My painting blog
Rowena

#16 Post by Rowena »

Dwarfs done. :) I'm doing Chaos Dwarfs next (when searching for dwarfs I have found some pretty cool ranges and as they are in the ETC table I'm working from...) and I'll start working on them when I return from a very late holiday in a few days. :)
My painting blog
Giladis
The Merlord

#17 Post by Giladis »

This is amazing, I will be sticking it.
Rowena

#18 Post by Rowena »

Thank you very much, it's quite an honour for me. :)
My painting blog
Rowena

#19 Post by Rowena »

I think I have overestimated myself with the Chaos Dwarfs. I can find alternative ranges when I can look at the official models, but in this case I have almost nothing and no idea what the stuff should look like. Forgeworld has something, but the rest would require more research. I have downloaded the Tamurkhan book, but if anyone here could sum up the units for me, I would be very grateful. I just need the overall style and weapons something to guide mw on my search.

Anyway, I have made Orcs and Goblins instead, to give you something else than just a plea for help. :)
My painting blog
Rowena

#20 Post by Rowena »

Dark Elves done, the rest of the elven armies about halfway done. And then only Empire and Chaos Dwarfs remaining until all the armies are finished. :)
My painting blog
Giladis
The Merlord

#21 Post by Giladis »

You two are my heroes. Thanks to you I am making a purchase list for the next 6 months to get many of the miniatures you dug out of interent. =D>
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#22 Post by SpellArcher »

Rowena wrote: I think I have overestimated myself with the Chaos Dwarfs.
Off the top of my head Titan Wargames, Mantic (Abyssal Dwarfs).
Rowena

#23 Post by Rowena »

Giladis wrote:You two are my heroes. Thanks to you I am making a purchase list for the next 6 months to get many of the miniatures you dug out of interent. =D>
Thanks! I'm very happy the lists are useful. And High Elves are coming soon (hopefully...)
SpellArcher wrote:Off the top of my head Titan Wargames, Mantic (Abyssal Dwarfs).
Thanks! I definitely know about Mantic and will check if Titan Wargames is on my list as well.
My problem is not companies that make them, I have some more written down as well, it's just that without official model to look at, it's much more difficult to match the alternative models with the units. At the moment I'm saving Chaos Dwarfs for the end and will try to find some info in the Tamurkhan book.
Or if someone could describe the units to me, general style and feel and the weapons they should most likely have, it would help a lot. :)
My painting blog
Rowena

#24 Post by Rowena »

High Elves are up :) And sorry for the long wait, I'll try to finish up the few remaining armies and then start upgrading the blog, quite a few things have been suggested to me.

EDIT: And now linked on the main page. Sorry for that!
My painting blog
Rowena

#25 Post by Rowena »

Wood Elves are finally finished, working on the two remaining armies. We're nearing the finish line! :)
My painting blog
Rowena

#26 Post by Rowena »

Chaos Dwarfs finished, only Empire left to go. Are you excited? Because I sure am! :)
My painting blog
Rowena

#27 Post by Rowena »

Empire is done and all the armies are now finished. Whew!

I have plans for the future of the blog, adding prices of the models for people with limited budget, maybe something like spoiler tags to make orientation easier if I can learn how to do it on Blogger and so on, but the main work is done and I'm going to take a short break first. :)
My painting blog
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#28 Post by SpellArcher »

=D>
Rowena

#29 Post by Rowena »

SpellArcher wrote:=D>
Thanks! :)
My painting blog
Choux44

#30 Post by Choux44 »

Aicanor wrote:I have been made aware of this very interesting initiative: Armies of Unsupported Age. They are trying to make lists of alternative models eligible for use in classic Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Have a look and if you like it and know of something that is not there, let the creators know here. Many thanks!

Alternative High Elf models can be found here: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39667

Alternative Armies
There has been a lot of talk about the end of Warhammer Fantasy Battles and many people are already searching for something else to play. With the game now being replaced by the Age of Sigmar on Games Workshop website, we probably can't count on their support anymore (I am not going into any theories on what they are doing or what are their plans for the future), but I strongly believe that doesn't stop us, the cummunity, from still enjoying the game. Many of us have put so much money, time and dedication into it and I just don't want to see it all thrown away, just because one company has decided something.

From what I have understood, the issue is more complex than just "We own the models and books and they can't take them away from us." To keep an unsupported game afloat, we would need models (if only to make it possible for new people to start playing) and some way for it to evolve. I know it would not be a trivial task. But while I can't help with the rules, I know for certain that the models are not such a problem as some people believe.
Games Workshop is not the only company that makes models, definitely not the only one that makes awesome models and not even the only one with whole ranges suited for making armies. If we decide to look around, we are not dependent on them, even not taking into consideration the fact that if we show enough interest, the models will appear to meet the demand. Basically, the choice is ours.
transfers CDG
Now, I know my lists are not perfect. Some of the models are not the same quality as the original ones (On the other hand I believe those are usually way older than the current GW models, while the more recent ones are usually truly stunning) and some will have to be converted. But haven't we always done that? Many of the models in our armybooks have not been in GW stores for a long time, even not considering all the conversions for the reasons of price, personal taste or theme.
The important part is, the models are there. We just have to look and decide.
there are so many good independents around