Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 10.07

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Hawkoon

Re: Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 14.04

#31 Post by Hawkoon »

I finished the basecoat for the Treeman, but I'm not really satisfied with the colours. He is a bit lacking in contrast so I'll probably do his bark brighter at certain areas, maybe even all the way to white at some points.

Sorry I don't have any eagle shots for you right away Wotfudboy, I'll take some tomorrow.
Hawkoon

#32 Post by Hawkoon »

Waywatchers!
Not quite happy with the white, so I'll probably just go with a khaki in those areas.

And by request by Wotfudboy:
gilterien

#33 Post by gilterien »

Wow great progress, I like the colours you've picked and also the green you have achieved on your treeman: the shading of it looks really good.

As regards the white on your waywatchers, it does look very bright. However, I think that if you add more shading to it it will darken. As well as this, your bases are very white! In the photos, this kind of gives you a white overload (oh and the background is white also!) When you do your bases the unit will overall be not as bright, and I think that the white would look good?
Hawkoon

#34 Post by Hawkoon »

Thanks for commenting.
You are right that the environment of the photo is very white, and the base itself is far from finished. This gives an unrealistic depiction of the model, and does make it hard to judge by the photo alone. But even outside my "photo studio" the balance between the colours just seem a bit off. I'm going to leave them like this for now, but when I do the 2nd unit of waywatchers I'll try to tweak the scheme a bit and then compare the two.
Hawkoon

Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 19.04 Wild Riders

#35 Post by Hawkoon »

Progress!
This time I've strayed from my intial plan, and done a unit of Wild Riders instead... As a basecoat this works, but I really need to expand the palette for these guys when I start detailing.
Last edited by Hawkoon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
RE.Lee

#36 Post by RE.Lee »

The limited palette works really well on these beautiful models. A nice base and you're ready to go! Additional detail are always welcome, but I'd be wary not to overdo it. Good job!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Hawkoon

Re: Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 19.04 Wild Riders

#37 Post by Hawkoon »

Panic!
The unit of Eternal Guard is taking longer than expected, and I'm starting to fear that I won't have the army play-ready in time. I have until saturday to finish the 20 EGs and do 5 waywatchers, 5 wild riders, 10 glade guard, 3 warhawk riders, the BSB, waystalker, spellweaver and twilight sisters... I'm not sure that is possible...
Althi

Re: Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 19.04 Wild Riders

#38 Post by Althi »

Hawkoon wrote:Panic!
The unit of Eternal Guard is taking longer than expected, and I'm starting to fear that I won't have the army play-ready in time. I have until saturday to finish the 20 EGs and do 5 waywatchers, 5 wild riders, 10 glade guard, 3 warhawk riders, the BSB, waystalker, spellweaver and twilight sisters... I'm not sure that is possible...
That would have to be classed as some sort of "legendary painting session" if you get them all done. Goodluck ;)

I like the neutral colours for the base coats on your wild riders. Any highlights or detailing you do will surely make the colours pop.
Hawkoon

Re: Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 22.04 Waystalker

#39 Post by Hawkoon »

Althi wrote: That would have to be classed as some sort of "legendary painting session" if you get them all done. Goodluck ;)
Challenge accepted!

I've been trying to pick up the pace in order to reach the deadline. So now I'm doing more than one unit at the time. Today I finished the front rank of the EG, and I'm close to finishing the entire unit. I finished the waystalker, and got quite far on the 2nd waywatcher unit. All in one evening session.

Eternal Guard, nearly ready for battle
Waystalker (or mr. Green, if you wish)
Davariel
Chronicler

#40 Post by Davariel »

The colour scheme on these models is fantastic. It looks so natural, just what Wood Elves should look like if they actually wanted to be stealthy in a forest... :)

Looking forward to seeing more progress!
Hawkoon

#41 Post by Hawkoon »

I see it's been quite a while since my last post.
I think I just lost all motivation after AoS hit the community like a ton of bricks.
So I've been thinking of picking up the pieces now that the dust has settled, and both Kings of War and the 9'th age seem like viable options for using my minis for wargaming.
Not having a tournament to reach for have gotten me thinking how I want to continue, and I've recently bought an airbrush and changed line paints to Vallejo's Model/Game Air. For now I'm just experimenting and learning how to use my new toy, but I'll be applying it to my army when I feel confident enough with it not to ruin the models :lol: (been a bumpy ride so far, but I am improving with each session).
I'll have some pictures up when I get something presentable.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#42 Post by SpellArcher »

Looking forward to it.
Hawkoon

Re: Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 10.07

#43 Post by Hawkoon »

First off, sorry about the threadomancy, but I hate leaving loose threads.

It's really been a while since I more or less gave up on warhammer, but I didn't give up on the hobby.
Since I began the plog a lot happened, most notable becoming the father of two beautiful daughters and the coming of AoS.

The sheer scope of models in the pipeline for being painted was (and still remains) daunting, and the time availiable for painting them all up suddenly got very limited. At the time the uncertainty of actually finding people to play against was aslo very depressing, and not helping progression. Seeing as the local interest in warmachine/hordes were on the rise in the vacuum left by AoS, I converted...

But I could not just leave my love for elves and dragons behind, so choosing my faction wasn't very hard. It's now a bit off topic, but it's still sort of elfish... I'm posting my work at https://www.facebook.com/H2Sminiatures/ if anyone are interested in further progress.

Selling my collection is unthinkable, so in time I hope warhammer will return and that I get the motivation to atleast finish what I started.

So here are a few images of what I've been up to in the aftermath:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#44 Post by Prince of Spires »

An interesting collection of models :) Lot's of dragon like models. Which is always a good thing.

Is the dragon model in there (6th picture) a reaper miniature? It looks familiar, but I can't remember from where.

Also, don't worry about the threadomancy. I tend to update my plog once or twice a year as well. It's fine. Real life tends to get in the way every now and then.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Hawkoon

#45 Post by Hawkoon »

Thanks for the interest. I'll try to keep the plog updated when I finish more models. (I actually forgot about it for a while).
Prince of Spires wrote:Is the dragon model in there (6th picture) a reaper miniature? It looks familiar, but I can't remember from where.
It's a Privateer press Archangel for the Legion of Everblight faction. Which is the main faction I've chosen for Hordes, so all these models are from the same line. And it's really huge. For reference, that base is 120mm in diameter :shock: Once I'm done with the Absylonia (the dragon lady) and Proteus (the monster with all the tentacles) I'll be painting up the Archangel. But it's not going very fast, so it might takes some time before I have anything to show for. But atleast I'm back to painting :D
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#46 Post by Prince of Spires »

Hawkoon wrote:And it's really huge. For reference, that base is 120mm in diameter
:shock:

That is huge. Doesn't show from the picture. But that's impressive. It must look great on the battlefield.

Keep us updated. As said, I'm pretty slow with my updates as well. The main thing that counts is that you keep painting :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#47 Post by Luna Guardian »

The wood elves look really nice! I think the choice of colors works very well, and I think you're too critical on the poor treeman, he looks dope!
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Hawkoon

#48 Post by Hawkoon »

I'm still alive!

And this time I have some actually finished work to show.

I know it's still not warhammer, but atleast I'm painting. (And making progress at that...)

This is Absylonia2 from Privateer Press' Legion of Everblight

And this is Azrael from the same army.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#49 Post by SpellArcher »

Wow, these are very striking!

=D>
RE.Lee

#50 Post by RE.Lee »

Looking good! That limited palette works really well for them =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Hawkoon

#51 Post by Hawkoon »

Got back to some warhammer painting for a competition. Thought I'd share it here as well.
(It's nice to see this forum is still active after all these years :D )

I got a conversion of Malekith to go on top of it, but didn't manage to get him done in time for submission.

(and Malekith WiP)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#52 Post by SpellArcher »

Love the purple wings!

:)