Hearts, Thorns and Buxom Chicks...

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mr. Lucifer

Hearts, Thorns and Buxom Chicks...

#1 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Hi All!

New to the board but been playing high elves for come up to 15 years...

I am renowned in my local group as continually selling armies... and rebuilding them from the ground up. I love the modelling and building aspect of an army even over painting and playing! I sold my last army off at the tailo end of last year and so now and intent on building a workable 3000pt army by the end of the year! (although i have smaller targets as the year goes on based on events and tournaments...)

I am TERRIBLE at keeping up Army blogs... really really bad, however i am very exited by this new army so hopefully this will help me to continue this blog...

I like to build my armies to a theme (at least to begin with) and for this army my theme is Avelorn... I like the idea of a strong matriarchal force leading their armies to the defense of Ulthuan (and with the End Times on us it is fair to say that on Alarielle's trip to the old world she would have taken a sizable retinue with her...). I plan to combine standard high elf kits with the newer wood elf kits to *hopefully* create a nice looking force on the table top. My spearmen will have standard High Elf legs and torsos with the addition of Eternal guard heads and arms, My archers will be standard archers replacing the horrible bowl haircut heads with wildwood ranger hooded heads and my shadow warriors will be eternal guard bodies with shadow warrior arms and heads...

My mantra when selecting which pieces to use is "Wood Elves are a PART of the forest, Avelorn Elves are APART from the forest"...

I present to you now my first Model, partly as a test for the paint scheme but now will be a standard part of my force, my Lv2 mage...

Feedback is always welcome as are suggestions!
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat – we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."
Mr. Lucifer

Re: Hearts, Thorns and Buxom Chicks...

#2 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

No replies to my previous post then...

A little more progress has been made, another character for the army whilst i am waiting for new boxes to arrive (UKmail... will never deal with them again...)

I wanted to make a unique BSB and have a go at freehand (something that i have tried to stay away from as much as possible)

I ended up using the Handmaiden as the base for my design with the sister of the thorn banner and a spearmen shield.

The Avelorn elves, to me anyway, have this duality ion them.. a strong Matriarchal bent but with the aspects of patriarchy. The banner here represents this with images of Isha (or Alarielle) and Asuryan (or Tyrion)... the runes correspond with this and the shield draws aspects from both...

Hopefully you enjoy my BSB (i appreciate that the BSB may cause confusion for people who dont play HE and have heard anecdotally of the Handmaidens abilities, I will be sure to remind players at each game that this is JUST a noble...)

Up Next, Spearmen using Eternal guard bits.... Need to get these done in time for the doubles event at the end of March so plenty of work to do!
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat – we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#3 Post by Curu Olannon »

Moved as per author's request :)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
sparkytrypod

#4 Post by sparkytrypod »

cant see the pics.. or is it just me?

edit: can see em now, are you on the high elf facebook group?? think I have seen these?!

love the bsb!
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Mr. Lucifer

#5 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Yes chap, am on the high elf FB page, you'll always see things there before here as that is my 'host'
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

Freehand is really nice. Is it all painted? Looking good.
Mr. Lucifer

#7 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Yes, all Handpainted John; glad you like it
Davariel
Chronicler

#8 Post by Davariel »

I love armies with a strong theme, and yours is shaping up to be something special!

The BSB is probably my favourite part so far, that has to be one of the most Avelorn looking banners I've ever seen. =D>
Mr. Lucifer

#9 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

So, we have moved on a little to some test spearmen... opinions welcome..

Mr. Lucifer

#10 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

I understand that they look very "wood elf" at the moment... Ill be staying away from golds and bronze and keeping these light and white with silver detailing...
Mr. Lucifer

#11 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Managed to get my shadow warriors done last night too, Using shadow warrior arms and heads and eternal guard bodies... I really like them; striding through the wood dispatching intruders with ease.... What do you think?

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#12 Post by Ferny »

I'm really liking the kitbashes, though some more than others. Shadow warriors work great, love these. Spear elves I'm a little ambivalent about - not sure how well the dynamic look will work when they're all ranked up and I think there are some minor scale issues with arm/body matches, though I like it very much as individuals (these would rock in Mordheim). Freehand on the banner looks great - love that conversion. The mage has some really cool parts, but I'm not a fan of the armoured skirt - she looks slightly under-warriored to be a loremaster but a little too armoured to be a mage for my taste. I do like the staff/hand/head combo for her though, and the torso is neutral and works well IMO.

Keep 'em coming please!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Mr. Lucifer

#13 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Thanks for the replies so far guys! ^_^

So I'm going to be entering a store campaign fighting over the border princes, 1500pts and no named characters. For this i will be running a light and easy list. Decioded against running power units and just having a bit of fun... the list i will be taking is...

Alustrielle
Archmage 230
Lv3-High
Talisman of Preservation

Deluvielle
Noble 150
Bsb
Dragon Armour
Sheild of Myrwurm
Golden Crown of Atrazar

Arianna
Mage 170
Lv2
Wayshard

Rising Thorn Company
30 Spearmen 300
Full Command

Stinging Barb Company
20 Archers 220
Banner and Musician

Defenders of the Bear
12 White Lions of Chrace 186
Full Command

North-Pass Rangers
5 Shadow Warriors 70

Everlong Glade Rangers
5 Shadow Warriors 70

Swiftwing
Great Eagle 50

Sharpbeak
Great Eagle 50

TOTAL 1496

Opinions?
Razzy Mac

#14 Post by Razzy Mac »

I must say I like those shadow warriors! No real comments on the list, except that you know its a themed army when there's not one but TWO units of SWs! :P

Did you do anything interesting with the white lions? If so, post some pics!
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
Mr. Lucifer

#15 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

White lions are yet to come.. they will be standard metal white lions.. Cloaks will be brown bear cloaks though rather than white lions...
Mr. Lucifer

#16 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Ok! so a load of work done over the weekend. Firstly i managed to get everything built. lpenty of chopping and sanding to get the eternal guard arms to fit the spearmen bodies, but here is the force as it stands...

And a couple of new characters...

And finally a bit of painting! bit rough and ready but i just need to get them done!

So, opinions?